Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many guitars do you need

Big Dave

Interesting OT here:

How much can you do with a single guitar and pedals?

With enough processing, the possibilities seem limitless. I found a horribly distorted setting on my old Zoom 505 that made my Tele and 175 almost indistinguishable, and those guitars are at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tend to bring a solid body & a hollow body archtop to gigs. Different guitars for different purposes, but I've noted that I tend to want as much sustain as possible out of the hollow body, & as much of an acoustic-y sound out of the solid body. So I guess I really want one guitar which does 2 mutually exclusive things simultaneously. Which is probably why there are about 2 dozen guitars here at home; still looking for the magic bullet.

<---check this one out Scott that Hugo posted on the other thread...pretty cool silver bullet possibility!

Cool idea, but looks a bit cumbersome....

+1 I'm more of a fan of just switching from an acoustic to an electric. This concept would probably weigh in about the same as any double neck (which I find to heavy too!) :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Interesting OT here:

With enough processing, the possibilities seem limitless. I found a horribly distorted setting on my old Zoom 505 that made my Tele and 175 almost indistinguishable, and those guitars are at opposite ends of the tonal spectrum.

+1 you can do a lot with just one guitar and some stomp pedals or multi effects pedals. One good thing about going this route is you are probably playing that one guitar you are most comfortable with... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Interesting OT here:

More than you might expect, especially with multi-fx. I have Synth effects, Pickup modelers, Amp modelers, Acoustic Guitar sims, a Sitar effect, Loop recording and playback, Pitch-shifting and Pitch Bending. I can make my SG sound like a Tele, an A/E with a piezo pickup, a cheesy B.J. Thomas-style Electric Sitar, a faux-Pedal Steel, or a Mono Synth, without a special pickup or any outboard MIDI gear. You can do all of that and more with the right bunch of pedals, but at considerably greater expense, with a much larger footprint.

Also, as I'd mentioned in another thread, if you get one of the Line 6 Variax Guitars, and combine it with one of their recent multi-FX, the MFX will remember the settings in your Variax, when you switch patches, so it's a complete, integrated system.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Yeah Winston, I thought the G-400 Pro would do me for several years, as I'm working with a limited budget and wanted something to keep me happy for awhile. I went over budget to get it. BUT, am very happy I did. I run it through a Marshall Code 25, I have not gotten the pedal for it yet. But may next birthday. I find I really love the heavier guitar that an SG provides, and I have not had any issues with the 'neck heavy' syndrome.

Interesting OT here:

That's a very generic question. IMHO, as Bluescape mentioned, a Strat with a decent set up is pretty hard to beat.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Interesting OT here:

That's a very generic question. IMHO, as Bluescape mentioned, a Strat with a decent set up is pretty hard to beat.

I'm not a Fender fan. I don't care for single coil pickups or bolt-on necks. Just personal preference.

If I could only own one electric, it would probably be a semi-hollow, with PAF style humbuckers. It would play Jazz, Blues, Rock or Country with equal aplomb.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Quite a few years ago-which is significant now, my perspective may be different-but I walked into Knut-Koupee guitars in Minneapolis and, after looking around a bit I asked to play a Gibson ES-335 they had on a floor stand.

I could have played until they kicked me out. My impression was just that-you could play anything on it. I`m not one to judge a guitar by its label but this one-yup. I would buy it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

+1 Fred, my dream guitar is a Gibson 175 hollow body with two humbuckers and a 3 way. My little Epi 175 with US 57 Humbuckers will fill the need till I find a real one some day...you can play anything from jazz to country to rock and roll on them equally well...My Tayor T3B with coil tapping tapping and a Bigsby is also filling my needs very well. With my arthritis I'm not eager to invest a lot of money in guitars anymore. But if I sell a few, I will get that older used Gibson 175 some day or maybe even a new one LOL! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

I found this all interesting reading. But for ME, all I NEED is the two I have. A six string and 12-string. Acoustics.

But I can see the need for maybe a couple of more for the working professional, depending on what kind of music he does. And the size of the area in the venues he might play in.

I remember seeing a picture of STEVE HOWE which had a circle of about 20 or so guitars with him standing in the center. I took it to mean they were all the guitars he owned, but when I twice saw him perform with YES, he was only playing TWO, and NOT at the same time. One was electric, and the other was an acoustic on one of those "walk up and play" type stands.

I also noticed a few times....on the "Tonight Show" when Jay Leno was host, more than one band that appeared on the show, those band's guitarists had several guitars on stands behind him on the show's "stage", even though the band only played ONE TUNE! Made me wonder WHY they bothered to set all them up.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

+1 Fred, my dream guitar is a Gibson 175 hollow body with two humbuckers and a 3 way. My little Epi 175 with US 57 Humbuckers will fill the need till I find a real one some day...you can play anything from jazz to country to rock and roll on them equally well...My Tayor T3B with coil tapping tapping and a Bigsby is also filling my needs very well. With my arthritis I'm not eager to invest a lot of money in guitars anymore. But if I sell a few, I will get that older used Gibson 175 some day or maybe even a new one LOL! :thu:

Bro. Larry,

When you're ready for the 175, check out the FOR SALE area on the Jazz guitar forum. There's always a used 175 or two out there.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Epi 175. That should keep you happy until you upgrade.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Thanks Brother Fred! I'll keep that Jazz forum in mind. I did find a used Gibosn 175 for $1,500 on Craig's List like new but I couldn't get there fast enough...It was the original owner and it wasn't hot...They run about $4 grand new. Once I sell a few guitars, I'll be ready and I'll be a little more serious in my quest for a 175! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

How many guitars do you need....

There are SO many beautiful guitars out there I couldn't even count. Not necessarily for any special tone or feel, they just look nice! Acoustic and electric.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

EVERYBODY needs n+1 guitars, where n = the number of guitars you already own.

I thought that was self evident lol.

Well, yes and no . . .

I'm down to 8 fully functional Guitars (+1 project Guitar, that's a work in progress), from 14. After going through all manner of makes & models, I've settled on the ones that work for me, and gotten rid of anything else.

My favorite Guitar model of all time is the Gibson SG, so I have two SG Specials. The others are each slightly different models, a semi-hollow, a 7-string, a 12-string Acoustic, and so on, to give me just enough variety in sound and feel for what I want to do. I'm not a session Musician. I don't need to be able to whip out any and every possible Guitar tone imaginable; I just need to sound like myself.

Having said that, I still believe I'd sound much more like myself with a 6/12 double-neck in hand . . . That elusive +1 in the n+1 equation.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived