Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody recommend an offsite backup vendor?

cnegrad

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The price is certainly right with backblaze. Do you have personal experience with them? Is it easy to restore?

I do not, but it's been highly recommended by Michael Brandvolt of the Music Biz Weekly Podcast. He's pretty up to snuff with the better tech.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Differentiate between 'backup' (I can do a full restore of my machine if needed) and 'cloud storage' (all my files are available anywhere).

The latter is actually more useful. I paid for the 1TB Dropbox account, and have been using it for years. Grab any laptop or device, all my stuff is there.

Works like a charm.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Also got the Dropbox Pro 1TB account here. It's a better choice than iCloud if you regularly need to share material with others, the majority of whom are probably using Windows rather than Mac.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Clarification: This is not about cloud storage for sharing. This is about having backup of past and current recording projects-in-progress, as well as years of photos and some word docs and pdf's, in case my laptop ever dies. I'm assuming that for that purpose I'm better off with a backup service with a dedicated app that handles regularly scheduled backups, no?

When evaluating backup strategies consider what you would need if the laptop fails. It is either going to catostrophic, buy a new machine or need part replacement.

Local system and data backup complimented by Cloud data backup is the best option. The Cloud is only as fast as your internet connection. External USB hard drives are now as cheap as chips. Windows and OSX have system restore and data backup built-in. Or you can use third party back software.

Use these to make a backup to an external drive. If you have catastrophe or HDD failure you can system restore including data fast from the external drive.

Cloud back up of your data gives you the security of off-site storage so it is a good last resort data restore option. Drop box has a free option with a lower data allowance, sharing drop box folders is optional. You can set drop box up so that your selected local data files are replicated in your drop box account. Every time you change your local folders the changes will be replicated in the background in your Dropbox folders.

But unless your house burns or similar, which is typically the least likely event, the availability of a local system image will be of most use when you need it.

If your house burns down then operating systems can be replaced and you will be able to get your data back from the cloud.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived