Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

46 years ago....

Bluesape

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JH says what music's all abt

May This Be Love

[video:youtube]

There used to be some beautiful interpretive vids for this but now all we got's these yammerheads but still, listen...

other versions

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hendrix+may+this+be+love

JH says what music ain't abt

Machine Gun

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

The first rock concert I ever attended was a HENDRIX concert in '68. And STILL fresh in my memory.

Often immitated(and poorly too!), yet the original was still the greatest.

Just think about how different many of our guitar "heroes" would have sounded without him. IF they ever got around to being HEARD at all! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Some of his music and spirit flows on in many of us, and will continue through future generations...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

True, DBM. When he lived, most just got off on his playing. All these years later, there seems to be(for some at least) an appreciation of his songwriting and innovation. A 17 year old nephew of mine only recently heard Jimi's "1983( A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" and thinks it's a MASTERPIECE! I told him we ALL did back then! ;)

Whitefang

Yes, it's true that he was underrated as a songwriter and even as a singer during his lifetime, and a master of the recording studio, with overdubs etc.

Of course, he played in an era where guitar heroes were a big deal, not just to other guitarists, but to the general public.

True that. I remember reading somewhere that Jimi got that "seagull" sound by pushing his headphones up against a mic.

NObody before him looked at feedback as something to make MUSIC with, but just an annoyance to avoid. Sure, The Beatles used it(and only slightly and at the beginning) in "I Feel Fine", but Hendrix took it to new heights and created ART with it!

And did ANYBODY else figure out how to record a solo so that when you play the tape in REVERSE it would fit in BEFORE Jimi?(ie: "Castles Made Of Sand")

Whitefang

I remember going down to Atlantic City New Jersey on the Garden State Parkway to buy records. That was the nearest record store from where I lived 40 or so miles away overland. I bought Sgt Pepper and some other items, and my brother in law at the time, picked up Are You Experienced. He said and I quote "look at the hair on this n****r" (Which was just a common way for us young countrified whites to talk about blacks back there and then) He bought the record just because of the hair on Jimi. Of course after listening to it a bit, we all went out and bought the album. So I was a few weeks late in picking up on Jimi and what he did. I bought the next few albums as well as the Band Of Gypsies offerings. But I was more into the Cream as my go to listening pleasure along with Vanilla Fudge, The Beatles from Sgt Pepper on and later got into Revolver, and other pre Pepper albums. So Hendrix went on the back burner for a bit. I also picked up on Dylan, and the New York folkies as well. Then came Buffalo Springfield, and all the descendants of that band, and the other Woodstockers. But when I saw Jimi play the Star Spangled Banner in the Woodstock movie (I missed it live even though I was there at Yasgurs Farm somewhere) I went nuts for Jimi and started playing his stuff and listening to it more and more. And to this day I might listen to a bunch of his MP3's which I came across somewhere or another, and have them in a folder in my MP3 player.

+1 Fang, Jimi definitely made good on the feedback usage as did many others during the 60's and 70's...

+1 DBM, I really liked that Revolver album and the Rubber Soul album by the Beatles. There was a bit of a riff (rift) going on with Paul at the time as he wanted to play lead guitar because George wouldn't get wild like Jimi and others that were out there LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived