Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Tower of Power at their greatest

Jazz+

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxyeS7EVJk&feature=share

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen them a few times. Best was a very small club in New Hope PA. I don't know how they got booked there. A place I had played with a local Blues Band. We got there early to sit in the balcony overlooking the dance floor and the band was up there having dinner. Wound up sitting at the bar not 20 feet away from the stage. Lights go out and Garibaldi starts a super funky beat and as the lights come up the band comes in from the side door fire escape. They hit it and play like there were 10,000 people there instead of my guess of 200.

I was so blown away I had to walk around town for awhile before I could calm down and drive home LOL!

Definatly an icon of American Bands.

I saw original band at Paul's Mall in Boston in 1973. It was a tiny venue. We didn't have tickets but decided to try to get in. I was in line with friend and we were talking that we hoped we could get in. True story - a couple in front of us turned around and said they heard us talking and coincidentally, had two extra tickets cause their friends couldn't make it. They sold them to us for face value.

Ended up in first row. I couldn't stop moving in my seat. Most amazing show I ever saw. Kind of spoiled me as I never considered seeing them live again although I know they're still great via all the YouTube videos.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Best was a very small club in New Hope PA.

I lived in Yardley. Which club?

Can't remember the name but it was on the Main Street with tables out front. Other side of the street from the river.It was larger than most of the shops and took up two storefronts. One side was the bar / stage /dance floor and open to the other which was the restaurant. The tickets were cheap and as I said no reserved seating and the people in the restaurant side who were having dinner got to hang out for free. The owner must have been a big fan cause he lost money that night. You know parking in New Hope so they blocked out a stretch across the street and TOP had their tour bus and equipment trailer there.

I never counted but with AWB I do maybe 8-12 shows a year with them (we share the same booking agency). Great guys and their new singer, Marcus Scott, is a monster (as was their previous one, Ray Greene).

I saw AWB and TOP in the Rahway NJ theatre. AWB did a great set with five guys. We were in the balcony and the sound was really bad. All bass, no mids or highs. Couldn't understand a word. TOP had a guest guitar player who was joining them sit in and he got along Hendrix like solo. Out of character for the band but the dude could play.

I saw AWB and TOP in the Rahway NJ theatre. AWB did a great set with five guys. We were in the balcony and the sound was really bad. All bass, no mids or highs. Couldn't understand a word.

That was before my time because when I joined (a little over 3 years ago) I was #6 now we have seven. The keyboard player you saw with AWB was probably Klyde Jones (who now plays bass with Hall & Oates). When he left they needed two guys to replace him (he sang lead on the Hamish tunes) so Brent Carter (a former TOP singer staying on topic! :) ) and a guy named Monte Croft came in. I replaced Monte. Recently we added a second horn player which is nice because the original AWB band used two horns. Freddy V used to recreate the 2-horn parts with a harmonizer now we can do them for real.

As for the sound: sometimes we carry a FOH guy, and other times we use the venue's person. I think TOP always brings their own FOH guy. Sorry you had a bad experience there.

To bring this derail slightly back on topic :) : Our next gig with TOP is November 12 in Rhode Island.

No, he left when the original group disbanded in 1982! Steve has been doing Tom Petty's gig for the last 20 years or so. The drummer now is Rocky Bryant, who's played with Cyndi Lauper, Dianne Reeves, Branford Marsalis and others. A great player.

We played at Catalina's in LA a few years ago and Ferrone sat in with us that was a treat!

We played at Catalina's in LA a few years ago and Ferrone sat in with us that was a treat!

No doubt! I knew Ferrone was doing Petty, I thought maybe he did both. Guess not. What a cool gig for you.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived