Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trek 2 UC-1A combo pre-amp or something better?

Bronks

I'm very open for good recommendations.

I'm about to buy a two speed modified tall boy Leslie 31 A. I know it's in a very good working condition (very much rebuilt) so no worries for that. My issue is that I'm going to play it with Hammond XK3c, which have 11 pin leslie connect, so I have to figure out the best way to go. (Every way I have to make some orders from U.S. I think...)

I know there is 1122 leslie connect adaptor (about 360 USD), which makes it. But after a consideration I thought the pre amp of Trek 2 could give more color to the sound. Am I right?

If someone could give a good opinion or even better solution, I would be more than happy:)

Don't take me serious, I'm just playing.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An guy who goes by Dr Fishticks makes a series of Leslie interfaces that have good rep and are a lot cheaper than Hammond/Trek alternatives. Worth a search on eBay and send him a message explaining what you're plugging into what. His interfaces need a separate preamp to boost the signal, but the advantage of that is you get to play with some different pres to find a sound you dig. He recommends the ART studio mic preamp, I think he even bundles it with an interface for around $40.

Can't remember what interface the 31H is, I'd guess 6H. Something like this would be what you'd be after from him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191964843312

Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

Trek products are very good indeed but at 3 times the price of the 1122 not sure that would be a smart buy. I think you have enough controls on the XK3 to get the sound you want without the Trek.

Thank you, price really is reasonable. This tall boy has same 6 pin arrangement than 122, so this might be, what I'm looking for.

Gear: Hammond XK5-system, Nord Stage3 Compact, Crumar Seven, Rhodes Mk2; Hammond M44

Some things to consider:

With the UC-1A you are paying for 4 Leslie type interfaces. If you anticipate using other type Leslie's in the future than this might makes sense.

You will be using the 1/4 inch phone output from the XK-3. The 11 pin amphenol on the trek is an output to a Leslie- not an input to connect to your organ. You will not be able to use the xk-3 controls to change speed including the kick switch in the expression pedal ( if you have one of these). I believe there's a way to get around this but just so you are aware.

I don't own a Trek so double check my statements.

I am not an expert, but I would definitely check with one before hooking that Leslie up to that Pedal. I own both a 31A and that pedal, But I know that it does not list the 31A in the compatibility chart. The 31 A is the second model Leslie made. The 31 H was made later and the Amp may have changed.

I would hate to see you blow the amp or pedal.

But after a consideration I thought the pre amp of Trek 2 could give more color to the sound. Am I right?

The Trek II pedals are workhorses, but I would see if you can find a used Speakeasy Vintage preamp. I have both, and the Speakeasy is warmer and smoother, with more usable tone controls. Percussion sounds particularly superior through the Speakeasy.

Some things to consider:

With the UC-1A you are paying for 4 Leslie type interfaces. If you anticipate using other type Leslie's in the future than this might makes sense.

You will be using the 1/4 inch phone output from the XK-3. The 11 pin amphenol on the trek is an output to a Leslie- not an input to connect to your organ. You will not be able to use the xk-3 controls to change speed including the kick switch in the expression pedal ( if you have one of these). I believe there's a way to get around this but just so you are aware.

I don't own a Trek so double check my statements.

Exactly

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

But after a consideration I thought the pre amp of Trek 2 could give more color to the sound. Am I right?

The Trek II pedals are workhorses, but I would see if you can find a used Speakeasy Vintage preamp. I have both, and the Speakeasy is warmer and smoother, with more usable tone controls. Percussion sounds particularly superior through the Speakeasy.

Absolutely +1 :2thu: ...especially if you put NOS tube/s in it. If you can , look for one with the "growler", it overdrives like a MF'r

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Still love my Speakeasy VTP, I have the stereo rack model with switchable "growler". Bought it used about 12 years ago, then sent it to the Speakeasy folks back in 2006 for a going-through and adding a Leslie 122 connector to channel B. They are very hard to find used - I sure don't plan on ever selling mine.

The Vintage Vibe folks made a teaser post on Facebook about a tube-based pedal preamp about a year and a half ago. I occasionally badger them on their Facebook page for a release date. If it ever makes it out of vaporware, I think there's a real void to be filled (though not as much of one as there was in the pre-Ventilator era).

The forum thread: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2662289/all/Vintage_Vibe_Leslie_Tube_Pream

Thank you for your advice. At the moment, I'm falling back to 1122. Compatibility of Trek 2 and 31 A worries me enough to get cheaper solution.

About Speakeasy... been searching for it a long time, no result.

Still love my Speakeasy VTP, I have the stereo rack model with switchable "growler". Bought it used about 12 years ago, then sent it to the Speakeasy folks back in 2006 for a going-through and adding a Leslie 122 connector to channel B. They are very hard to find used - I sure don't plan on ever selling mine.

I have the exact same configuration. Originally just had stereo 1/4 inch connectors for interfacing to my CX-3. When I got my first 147 deliverance I had Steve modify the SE preamp adding a 147 and 122 connector along with a foot switch input.

BTW mine does have a slight difference; it has a switchable "Howler". :poke::D

Thank you for your advice. At the moment, I'm falling back to 1122. Compatibility of Trek 2 and 31 A worries me enough to get cheaper solution.

Yeah, that sounds smart to me. You can always add a preamp later. I switch back and forth between my Speakeasy and running my XK-3c direct via the 1147.

The Vintage Vibe folks made a teaser post on Facebook about a tube-based pedal preamp about a year and a half ago. I occasionally badger them on their Facebook page for a release date. If it ever makes it out of vaporware, I think there's a real void to be filled (though not as much of one as there was in the pre-Ventilator era).

The forum thread: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2662289/all/Vintage_Vibe_Leslie_Tube_Pream

Actually, I emailed the VV folks, and just got a reply. They've been too busy with the EP business to ramp it up in full production, but they will build them as one-offs, so it's a viable option.

Love to hear from VV unit, when someone has really tested one:)

By the way, just had to change my Leslie purchase. 31A was no longer avalable, so I'm getting 22H instead.

You are worried about compatibility, so you are buying an inferior product that will either work or maybe damage your Leslie in place of a robust product that will work with everything?

I think your first task should be to find out what the heck has been done to this 31A so you know what you can/cannot use to hook it up.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

You are worried about compatibility, so you are buying an inferior product that will either work or maybe damage your Leslie in place of a robust product that will work with everything?

I think your first task should be to find out what the heck has been done to this 31A so you know what you can/cannot use to hook it up.

Thank you for taking care... I'm very aware of the changes that has made to my Leslie - you see above, it's now 22H. The guy I bought it from, is a highly respected Hammond expert in my country. It's also confirmed from dealer, that 1122 really should work with my Leslie. So, I'm having big hopes.

• 1 month later...

And end of the story:

148979.jpg

Archived