Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brief moment of GAS insanity

Fred_C

Last night I had an insight into what an insidious and debilitating disease GAS really is.

I have on several occasions mentioned how happy I am with my small collection of guitars, comprised of:

1. Heritage H575 Custom

2. Peerless Monarch 16

3. Ibanez AF 125 Custom

4. '97 Epiphone Sheraton II

5. Yamaha LS16 (Flat top acoustic)

Each of these instruments exhibits a very high level of performance with strong emphasis on Playability which belies their affordability. They are scrupulously cared for by a highly skilled guitar tech.

Last night, I looked down at the five cases and thought "If I sold everything except the Heritage, I could make a serious down payment on a high end guitar." I thought about it and came to my senses. Upon reflection, this is a fairly stupid idea. However, it does point out how seriously I am addicted.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, Fred C., it made perfect sense to me. I've often sold or traded away gear, so I could upgrade. I turned an absurd pedal collection and a handful of inexpensive Guitars, so I have fewer, but better Guitars, and a better sound bank.

Now, if you had considered selling the Heritage, THAT would be insane . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Honestly, Fred C., it made perfect sense to me. I've often sold or traded away gear, so I could upgrade. I turned an absurd pedal collection and a handful of inexpensive Guitars, so I have fewer, but better Guitars, and a better sound bank.

Now, if you had considered selling the Heritage, THAT would be insane . . .

@Winston,

Agreed, When I buy a new guitar I will sell one to help fund the acquisition. It just seemed that selling all of my guitars (except the Heritage) was a bit excessive and bordered on manic.

And just how much of a return for those guitars would this new (or new to you) high-end guitar give you? If it offers enough improvement on tone and playability, it is possibly worth it. If not...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

And just how much of a return for those guitars would this new (or new to you) high-end guitar give you? If it offers enough improvement on tone and playability, it is possibly worth it. If not...

That's what made the idea so crazy. I've played a Knaggs Cheyna that wss worth over $5K. It was a very nice guitar. Was it worth twice what my Heritage is worth? No! Was it worth three times what my Peerless cost? No! Any incremental value was very small indeed.

I'm keeping what I have! All great playing, great sounding guitars!

I had a brief moment of GAS, with Prymaxe having a Labor Day sale of 20% off. I almost got a Carl Martin Purple Moon fuzz/vibe. I liked the manufacturer's demo video; then a couple of other demo videos (esp. John Bolinger's on Premier Guitar) just made me second guess myself. Plus, I'm leaving the band at the end of the month, so how much opportunity will I have to use it? If the need arrives, I'm sure I can get another discount code from them.

And like Dannyalcatraz says, what is this "selling" of gear? The stuff I'd be willing to sell or trade has little market value; the ones that could get me some money are the ones I want to keep. No, I'm not a hoarder. Am I?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Fred, have you defined what the 'high end guitar' is that you would be seeking? Your collection covers most of the bases in the jazz guitar world, with the exception of maybe a 17" floating pickup model. If anything, perhaps the Heritage covers the same territory that the Ibanez does (16" dual humbucker) & I could perhaps see selling the Ibanez & moving up from there, but the others all do something unique & I think you should hang on to those. But only if you've come across something that is absolutely thrilling which would cover the same sound world as something you have now, but doing it better. And, I bet the upper end of the Peerless or Eastman ranges would be high end enough, but not at hand made prices.
Scott Fraser

I was about to say, that Heritage IS a high-end guitar!!! Right?

I don't think your idea is nuts or anything. Better to have 2 really good guitars than a bunch that you don't.

I have a fleet... a couple of pedestrian cheapies that I paid relatively nothing for that still serve a specific purpose when the need arises, and a bunch that I got for cheap to reasonable prices that I love and consider myself lucky to have, and that other people are always trying to talk me into selling...

My GAS is tempered by my weird personality: Yes, I'd love to have a "high-end" guitar, though one that was cool and had some character and probably was used... and I'd also like to find it someplace for cheap.

Actually, the only guitar I think of selling is the one that's probably worth the most... a 1965 Gibson SG Special, that's currently having the neck reset and all the tuners and pots brought back to life. We'll see how that turns out, but I never really liked that guitar... I bought it from a bandmate desperate for money for $300 about 20 years ago and never really played it, and when he had money again he never wanted to buy it back, until the price for them soared recently. Would it be better to trade that for something I liked more or keep it to sell and fund a car for my daughter in 10 years or so?

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all for your insightful, supportive, and sometimes humorous responses.

I want to be clear. I am very happy with my current collection. I have absolutely no plans to buy or sell anything for the foreseeable future.

Certainly, I would like to own a Heritage H555 semi-hollow or a Peerless Imperial 17" archtop as suggested by Scott. But, that may or may not ever happen. Hell, I'm still paying off the Heritage H575 Custom.

Thanks again to all for the support and comradeship.

Hi P90,

Yes, I guess that my H575 Custom would be considered a "high end" guitar. They're about $2900 new. You can imagine my ecxcitement at finding one used in MINT condition for $1900! An incredible value

I have to admit I know very little about guitars beyond Stratocasters, but it looks like you have a wonderful collection of guitars. I'm sure you enjoy every one of them.

On another subject, why doesn't spell check recognize Stratocaster. I's really annoying to me.

Always have GAS - but guess I'm cheap and anyways don't use the few guitars I have now. It never goes away so I hold back, fight it.

Wanted to get a Strat I don't need but have to pay Income Tax on the $$$ before I can spend it then get goosed for 15% Sales Tax on the purchase. Have to pay Income tax on funds to cover the 15% Sales Tax also of course.

And wow - that exchange rate went nuts, add 35% or whatever plus when the charge on the credit card crosses the Canada/USA border the credit card company slaps on a "service-fee" hidden inside the exchange rate and not disclosed. There was a class-action up here and I got a refund of roughly $96 related to a trip in US $ a couple of years back.

Kind of stops my GAS dead...the Les Paul Studio that was delivered free at $1,200 from Musicians Friend is now $1,850 or more down the street and doesn't have my ebony fretboard.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Well the Tokyo Music instrument Fair is coming around in November-that is basically a giant opium den of guitars and everything else, up to high end builders-talking in the $7-10,000 range. I discovered both my main electric manufacturers there and in one case met the company president. I`ll go and try them but, I`m also pretty happy with what I have now. I`m a lot more in need of a good amp-those are also there in abundance. Some of the long termers may recall, that one of the amp buiders I met dropped in here to chat, and even posted a pic of me from the show.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived