Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOXF8

allan_evett

It's now going on three years since the MOXF8 was released. I'm curious as to how owners of that keyboard are getting along with it. The MOXF8 is on my short list for a compact, stage piano / ROMpler hybrid. Figuring it would be a good, compact replacement for my S90XS (which will pretty much stay in my home studio); the XS is just too wide and bulky for most of my gigs now. I'm trying to ideally gain 4 - 5" of space; anything will help, compared to the XS.

I recall that there were some QC issues with the MOX8, especially with regard to the keys. I played a used MOX8 several years back; it was pretty rough, kinda 'clacky' and beat up. Hopefully the MOXF8 has improved in that area. The flash memory option definitely appeals to me, along with the tried-and-true AWM pianos - which along with Roland SN pianos, mix well for me with others. So MOXF8 owners, how do you like the instrument ?

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allan, I own the MOX8 for a few years as my main 88 note gig board. It's the same keys as on the MOXF88

The keys were okay, but not as good feeling as my Roland FA08 (purely subjective, of course).

Mine held up just fine to regular gigging in all types of establishments and stages. I retired it when I got my FA08, however, I wanted the one thing I really loved about it which is it's control capabilities with Master Mode. Hence, I got the MOXF6 to sit above my FA08.

The MOXF series is a wonderful controller board. I use mine to call all patches on itself, the FA08 and in Mainstage when I drag it out. I even have Masters that will call programs on my iPad when using Korg Module or Galileo Organ.

The best part is the Melas Total Librarian. Before each show I can setup our set list and transmit it to my MOXF and all my Masters are in set list order in seconds.

Sorry for going off track a bit, just wanted to give my reasons for liking the MOX/MOXF boards.

Back to original question: the keys on my MOX8 held up just fine and I played 3 years worth of gigs on it.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Thanks David!

Question: What do you like better about the FA08 as your main 88 ? As I'm considering lighter 88s, and do like SN, it could be a short list candidate too. If my JP50 had a weighted action, I'd gig it as my main bottom tier - as the pianos are clear and sustain well, and it's super-easy to set up complex splits, layers and zoned stuff.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

You're welcome!

The first thing I like about my FA08 (subjective again) isd the feel of the keys. It is the closest feel that I get to my real piano (1973 Steinway music room grand).

Then, the sound set is fantastic as are the EXP sound packs you can download for free from Roland's site.

The board does have limitations, especially in the controller area, that are frustrating. The Yamaha wins, hands down, in that category. Think of it has Fantom Lite when it comes to that functionality.

The FA08 is VERY easy to program and dig into the tone to edit.

The Sub Out is very nice. I run my organ tone thru the sub out, then thru my LesterK.

16 parts to a studio set, etc..etc..

The built in pads are a huge bonus that can be set for different functions. A nice feature is being able to trigger a pad from another board...i.e. my MOXF6.

Between the sounds on the Roland, and the sounds and controller capability on my Yamaha, I have all bases covered.

Oh one last thing as I am typing stream of consciousness....:)

The keys on the Roland feel less plastic-y than the MOXF8.

I think it the "ivory feel" keys that does this.

Afterthought: if I just needed piano sounds with some addition basic thrown in, I'd fully gig with my PX5S. A good, lightweight 88 note board with great piano tones and keybed feel.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

In a very brief comparison, I felt that, while the FA08 keys felt more solid and piano-like than the MOX/F, they were more sluggish on the return. So in the end, I'd probably go for the Yamaha anyway. The Yamaha is also less wide and lighter to carry around.

16 parts to a studio set

I think that functionality is basically the same as Yamaha's 16 parts to a "Mix" (song mode or pattern mode), though the effect structure is different... IIRC, Roland allow you to put one effect on each of the 16 parts, whereas Yamaha permits you to put a pair of effects on 8 of the 16 parts.

Roland does have some advantages... some semblance of clonewheel and VA synth built in, a sub out, trigger pads, simpler interface. I tend to lean toward Yamaha sounds (and their expandability via flash), and I like its more flexible MIDI functionality. And in terms of weight and size, Yamaha is already at about my upper limit.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Seems I need to A-B these two instruments. Wish me luck on that though.. Basically would have to block 5 - 6 hours for a round trip visit to Ft Wayne. Didn't used to be that way. And I live 40 miles from downtown Chicago :pop:

I've had the MOX8 and sold it a few years ago as I just couldn't get into the action. It's always a subjective thing anyway. I picked up a MOXF8 a few months ago as i love the motif sound but still needed something relatively light. It's still a great keyboard for the price. Better samples, but again the action leaves me cold. (I do have the Motif XF8 at home in the studio and I've gigged for years with the S90ES so I'm kinda spoilt with better action).

I played the FA08 in a local music store and when it was turned off i just noodled on the keyboard and didn't like the action but when i turned it on it worked surprisingly well with the piano sounds. I'd imagine that id warm to the FA08 action sooner than the MOXF8's action but i just prefer the Yamaha sound.

The thing that swung the MOXF8 over the FA08 for me was the ability to control 4 zones with the 4 rotary knobs (for instance i can have up to 4 layers/splits in performance mode and control the volume of each from the 4 rotary knobs). To the best of my knowledge you can't do that with the FA08..though i am open to connection and maybe they have released an update for this? Anyway i have one gig in particular that i need to have access to this feature and thats one of the main reasons i got the MOXF8.

Am going to stick with the MOXF8 for the moment until i fine something that I can connect with more and even then possibly pick up a used MOXF6 to throw on top. Good luck with your search.

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I have an moxf8, that I've gigged with. Its a lot of capability in a cheap package, IMO. But one thing to consider if you're gigging, is the construction.

I move and setup my own gear, so this hasn't been an issue for me, but I notice when plugging in cables, the fit is not as 'solid' as my other (better constructed) boards. Also, the connectors, if pushed sideways, flex very easily. I'm wondering if this keyboard would hold up over time, if it was subjected to any abuse?

Just an observance, after using it a while...

Archived