Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Santana announces "Jazz/Rock Supergroup"

cedar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again if anyone here has done what he has career-wise let me know, otherwise the thread is pointless.

Sorry, bro. I love ya, but I'm not getting your point here. It sounds like sort of the same logic as, "If you haven't done what Michael Jordan has done, you can't be a basketball sports writer."

To my mind, musicians have opinions about music...and the musicians who make music. And that's what we voice here on the forum, yes?

A lot of it is personal opinion (which is what I tried to be careful to state, his work generally hasn't touched me), and others have said they believe him overrated. As an explanatory analogy, Steve gave the example of a similar situation (a GP lauded in the pantheon of greats...who in his opinion doesn't belong there). I would tend to agree with this assessment of Santana's technical prowess, and I don't think that detracts from his career accomplishments, fame or influence.

Not sure why this a distasteful discussion for you.

Tim

Edit: In a similar way, I think I'd raise my eyebrows if Herbie were to announce a world tour playing hardcore afro-cuban with a bunch of Cuban musicians. As much as I love the many incarnations of Herbie, I've never thought of him being a Latin player and would think his vocabulary would be found wanting in a heavy slamming montuno kind of setting (I could be wrong there too). On the surface, it seems fish out of water. And I think the same basic thing about Mega Nova. What brings an added bit of complexion to the thing is Carlos' state political motivation, which no one here seems to want to acknowledge. That may ultimately really be the only motivation behind this. Who knows - I sure don't.

No jazz guys don't do well in Afro-Caribbean music as you have to be able to not be busy and play the same thing over and over in the music. You have to sit with those type of grooves.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Again if anyone here has done what he has career-wise let me know, otherwise the thread is pointless.

Sorry, bro. I love ya, but I'm not getting your point here. It sounds like sort of the same logic as, "If you haven't done what Michael Jordan has done, you can't be a basketball sports writer."

To my mind, musicians have opinions about music...and the musicians who make music. And that's what we voice here on the forum, yes?

A lot of it is personal opinion (which is what I tried to be careful to state, his work generally hasn't touched me), and others have said they believe him overrated. As an explanatory analogy, Steve gave the example of a similar situation (a GP lauded in the pantheon of greats...who in his opinion doesn't belong there). I would tend to agree with this assessment of Santana's technical prowess, and I don't think that detracts from his career accomplishments, fame or influence.

Not sure why this a distasteful discussion for you.

Tim

Edit: In a similar way, I think I'd raise my eyebrows if Herbie were to announce a world tour playing hardcore afro-cuban with a bunch of Cuban musicians. As much as I love the many incarnations of Herbie, I've never thought of him being a Latin player and would think his vocabulary would be found wanting in a heavy slamming montuno kind of setting (I could be wrong there too). On the surface, it seems fish out of water. And I think the same basic thing about Mega Nova. What brings an added bit of complexion to the thing is Carlos' state political motivation, which no one here seems to want to acknowledge. That may ultimately really be the only motivation behind this. Who knows - I sure don't.

No jazz guys don't do well in Afro-Caribbean music as you have to be able to not be busy and play the same thing over and over in the music. You have to sit with those type of grooves.

And you have to be able to shut out the Timbales from your mind. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

A lot of the Clave is in the early Santana stuff so three percussionists is necessary. Now in Salsa they traditionally don't have a drummer but Carlos uses one so the arrangements are interesting. Conga and Timbales are crucial for the music because they are a small part of a larger picture.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Conga and Timbales are crucial for the music because they are a small part of a larger picture.

Aren't they neglecting the cowbell?

http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/files/files/images/2014/9/06/140228_2749923_More_Cowbell_with_Will_Ferrell_on_SNL___Vide_anvver_2.jpg

Archived