Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Here and New to Keyboards

El Capitan PB

Hello!

I am so sorry if this type of question has already been answered before. I used the search function but was unable to find a topic similar to my question. I making the switch from piano o keys. I'm playing Snarky Puppy inspired music and was wondering what is the best keyboard to play songs similar to Cory Henry? I've done a lot of research and Cory plays a 77 Korg Kronos Workstation beside his B-3. Is there a keyboard that creates the type of synths he plays as well as emulates an organ? My decision is between the Nord Stage 2 and the Korg Kronos. Which do you prefer or do you know of a better piano that accomplishes both? Also is it better to purcjase a full 88 size keyboard or would a shorter scale suffice? Thanks! :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome. IMHO both the boards you mention are good starting points. Kronos probably has better electric pianos, Nord perhaps wins on clonewheel. (All subjective of course). I would second Aronnelson's suggestion of an analogue synth top-board. But you can add that at a later stage if you like. Both the Kronos and Nord have some virtual-analogue capability, which may be enough to get you going.

Do you need 88 keys? If you plan to gig live, the size and weight may put you off. You may wish to get the 61-key Kronos or the 73-key waterfall Nord, and add a lightweight 88 underneath (a Casio Privia, for example).

I would add that Cory would sound amazing whatever board he's playing. If you can play like Cory, it doesn't matter too much what your instrument is!

Cheers, Mike.

This,

I would add that Cory would sound amazing whatever board he's playing. If you can play like Cory, it doesn't matter too much what your instrument is!

You will be happy with whichever of those two boards you buy - if you are transporting the board - get what you are willing to carry.

You can use a simple midikeyboard controlling the internal synth engine of the stage or kronos if you want some extra keys.

Do you desire two keyboards? Honestly, if on a budget, the Kronos a MIDI cable and a cheap controller will do what you need.

Since the weighted action on the Kronos isn't everyone's favorite off all time anyway you might consider a cheaper 61 key Kronos and... depending on action preference, a Roland A88, Studio Logic Numa Compact, Stage, or Concert. Lots of others.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

If you want to play live, Get the Kronos. .... Patch control using Set List mode blows away everything else on the market.

Get an 88, don't be a weight weenie. The 88 is better for splits. I prefer the 88 over a 61 with an 88 controller so you don't need to hook a bunch of stuff up to program your setups. Just put the Kronos on a stand and plug in a set of ear buds / phones / whatever you want to hear through.

If you want an organ the Hammond XK1c is a good buy. There is also the 61 key Mojo or the Numa Organ. But get a Hammond, anything else is just a clone. :D

An overview of Setlist starts at 19:42

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yes, for me the big question is live or at home/studio.

Live I've been using hardware and am not ready to make the switch to software...though recently my Kurzweil pc3 refused to boot at a gig :P Ironically I might have recommended it as a cheaper do-everything board (like the Kronos in that respect). If you have the money perhaps the Kronos is the ticket.

For home or studio I much prefer using software...just my preference. My laptop becomes a self-contained studio, with my synths as drop-down menu options :) I sometimes remix songs on my lunch break at work (the mac works well enough without my audio interface, most of the time at least). I never want to go back to hooking up midi and audio (especially not with many keyboards, modules and outboard fx like I used to), and I've never liked onboard sequencers much. Obviously YMMV!

Also ... This can wait but if you start playing live I suggest an UPS. I use this one. I run all my live gear off from it. You don't need one this big. There are cheaper ones and maybe better ones available. I'm no expert in UPSs. I went with one big enough to run everything for sometime. I picked one that also had automatic voltage regulation. I was going to get a bigger one for my rack but it would have added 30+ pound to my rack. In the end this just seemed like the one to get but I sort of just rolled the dice. It sits on the floor in front of my pedalboard.

If you spend $3000-5000 on keyboard gear $50-100 on UPS and voltage protection seems smart to me. It takes a long time to have to reboot a Kronos during a show. Maybe not that long but it feels like a LONG TIME.

CORRECTED LINK BELOW

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Line-Interactive-Ultra-Compact-AVR900U/dp/B001126QE0/

If you spend $3000-5000 on keyboard gear $50-100 on UPS and voltage protection seems smart to me. It takes a long time to have to reboot a Kronos during a show. Maybe not that long but it feels like a LONG TIME.

This. :cool:

And yes, the Kronos takes forever to boot up. I remember when I played it the first time when Guitar Center finally got one in stock. We were waiting so long that I suggested ordering pizza.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I have a Kronos and Nord Electro 5D. I am familiar with the Nord library.

For me the pianos and organ are better on the Nord.

Everything else is better on Kronos to me.

I would go for the Kronos 2 88 because of splits, setlist, and it does everything well. No need for controller in my opinion.

Cory plays a 77 Korg Kronos Workstation beside his B-3. Is there a keyboard that creates the type of synths he plays as well as emulates an organ?

If he gets his synth sounds from the Kronos, then almost certainly the Kronos can get those synth sounds (unless maybe he's loaded some custom samples). The Kronos also emulates an organ. It may not be as good as a real B3 through a real Leslie speaker, but it's good. You could start with the Kronos, and if you really feel the organ sound is lacking, add a separate strong organ board. Also, though, I'm guessing you meant he plays an 88 Kronos (not 77), which also means weighted action, and organ doesn't play well from that action. So getting the sound is one thing, being able to play it well and idiomatically is something else. You can add a plain (soundless) MIDI controller to the Kronos to be able to play some of its sounds from an alternate action (also allowing you to have instant access to different sounds under each of your hands simultaneously, without splits that may cause you to "run out of room"); or you could add a second board with its own sounds (organ or otherwise), and still also use that board as a controller for accessing additional Kronos sounds if you want.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

At this point you need to ask yourself what is the worst of two evils, playing organ parts on a hammer action keyboard or playing piano parts on synth action keys.

Interesting question.

I tend to treat that question just like "who are you voting for in 2016 for prez?".

My answer: NEITHER.

Playing organ on weighted keys = Voting for Trump.

Playing piano on synth keys = Voting for Hillary.

:D

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Playing organ on weighted keys = Voting for Trump.

Playing piano on synth keys = Voting for Hillary.

I've done both so I'll just vote for myself.

Who wants a shirt? :)

http://www.cathykeir.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/tee_me_for_president_sm.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Yeah I'm thinking of just purchasing the Kronos 2 which is a lot cheaper than a Nord and a Moog Sub 37

A Kronos will take you almost anywhere you want to go musically. It might not be the best at everything, but it's probably the most versatile across the board.

Cheers, Mike.

the nord stage is a performance, instrument, the kronos is a workstation, very different things. functionally

They certainly are different beasts and I would agree with this statement as a first approximation. But it depends on what you mean by performance instrument. There are performance aspects of the Kronos that you simply can't do on the Nord Stage: e.g. set list mode and arbitrary split points. Not important for some people but critical for others..depends on your situation.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Since I am planning on playing live would you recommend a full 88 or the next size down?

First question: Do any of the parts you'll be playing require more than 73 keys? If so, you need 88. If not, you still might want 88 so you can split the keyboard (either for playing different sounds with each hand, or for very rapid switching among multiple parts) while having as more keys available for the various parts (you can switch the octaves of the sounds regardless of whether you place them low or high on the keyboard). This becomes less of an issue, though, if you're going to have more than one keyboard, so a related question is, will this be your only keyboard, or will it be one of two? Which also gets back to the earlier discussion of two being beneficial for having an action that is better for piano and an action that is better for organ, if you're playing organ parts as well. A lot of people also prefer the non-hammer action for synth sounds too, though personally I find that less of an issue, I think most synth stuff plays fine from either action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

the nord stage is a performance, instrument, the kronos is a workstation, very different things. functionally

They certainly are different beasts and I would agree with this statement as a first approximation. But it depends on what you mean by performance instrument. There are performance aspects of the Kronos that you simply can't do on the Nord Stage: e.g. set list mode and arbitrary split points. Not important for some people but critical for others..depends on your situation.

Yes. The Kronos is a performance keyboard. A Nord Stage is not capable of doing my gig.

Archived