Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: balance when playing standing up using two pedals

yamoho

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't speak for others, but if I need two pedals with two feet (swell plus Vent, volume plus sustain, expression plus volume, etc), that's automatically a sit-down gig for me. If you're using the volume as just an occasional, real-time adjustment coming into or out of a song, you can get away with standing (or leaning) But as soon as I need gas and clutch at the same time, I'm sitting for this one.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I almost always stand for the live shows...three tiers. My right foot covers all three sustain pedals and expression on the organ. My left foot is killing me by three hours into a four hour gig. I may have to start taking the room for an L setup so I can sit down at least part of the time.

I always stand. Probably the only time I had to do the balancing act was the Pink Floyd The Wall shows I played last year. During one song I had to play a part on my bass pedals and adjust a volume pedal with the other foot while both hands were busy. From that balancing act, one of my musician friends nicknamed me Waldo the Talented Seal.

If the pedal is facing me on center, I subconsciously alternate which foot is controlling it so no one foot gets tired. It wasn't until recently that I realized I was doing that.

I always stand and occasionally "double pedal" on sustain. I just set my weight back on my heels and bend my knees a little.

It's not something that would be comfortable for extended periods of time but it works OK with practice when you only have to do it intermittently.

I use the small square block pedals and have them directly next to each other. One foot can cover both. I either sustain them both together, or can rock my foot side to side to sustain them independently. I usually don't have to use the sustain pedals and swell at the same time. If so, it's just a quick swell adjustment and back to the sustain.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Back in the 90s, my solution was to add a vocoder mic, outrageous silver vinyl pants and a pair of platform shoes into the mix. :P

I nearly became the first keyboardist to pack it in in a tragic wah-pedal accident. Would have made for a most excellent obituary.

Seriously the answer is trial and error and practice, practice, practice. A bar type stool can be helpful... but it also can create a false sense of security and they DO give out and slip sometimes. (Trust me on this.) At least when you're standing your guard is up against wiping out.

Good luck!!

Back in the 90s, my solution was to add a vocoder mic, outrageous silver vinyl pants and a pair of platform shoes into the mix. :P

I nearly became the first keyboardist to pack it in in a tragic wah-pedal accident. Would have made for a most excellent obituary.

I would love to see the pictures!! :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

If you're using the volume as just an occasional, real-time adjustment coming into or out of a song, you can get away with standing (or leaning)

This. I find I'm either sustaining piano, or swelling organ (let me rephrase that) applying expression to my clonewheel playing by using the swell pedal. One foot can manage either of those, but not both.

But then my one brain can't manage both of those.

Cheers, Mike.

I play in a Beatles tribute so there are some damn complex parts where I need all limbs. But I also sing many lead parts so I need some stage presence.

My solution is to "sit tall" on a very high stool. I'm basically at the same height as if I were standing, but I have a nice balance and use sustain and volume at the same time with no problems.

The stool is a big and cumbersome Quiklok. Heavy as hell and a pain to drag around and fit in the car, but rock solid. And I'm neither small nor a featherweight.

https://www.ekomusicgroup.com/it/supporti-amps/quiklok/dx749

I will stand and do expression pedal with my left foot and 2 sustain pedals with my right. I can do expression w/ left simultaneously sustaining one of the right pedals. Most of the weight is going into my heels when I do this. I only do it on a couple tunes in a night.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I have played worship sets where I had to cover bass and keys. Some songs have to have a real bass, like getting the groove right on those Hillsongs tunes with continuous 16ths. So, I'll play standing switching to bass and keys as needed. Sustain a pad on the keys while noodling on bass, etc. Keeping the bass from hitting the keyboard can be tricky.

I don't have trouble with sustain or expression pedals. But, it really can strain my back. I find that constantly shifting my weight, like a tennis player in slow motion, really helps.

Not ready to try this in high-heels yet ... :laugh:

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Also stack FC4 on FC7s.

Mostly do B3/147 style rock organ.

When FC7 is full back drawbars are collapsed. Need Leslie speed changes when drawbacks are full tilt.

So reaching up on the same FC7 awaits my Leslie speeds.

Don't use multiple sustains as I use a Physis K4.

I turn the sustain into upper vibrato when copping Hammond parts.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

assuming my brain could wrap itself around controlling two pedals and two hands at the same time while standing, i'd definitely fall over.

fortunately my brain can't so I don't. good luck, trail blazers!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I have played worship sets where I had to cover bass and keys.....

Not ready to try this in high-heels yet

Not sure how the congregation would react either. :keys2:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

If you have a Kurz.

I think they all can do this and it takes some practice.

You can assign notes as controllers.

Really anything that has an action can do anything.

So mapping notes to sustain or alternate tunings or chords etc.

You could assign notes as volume bumps or use unused notes in chords.

Anything helps when you have to do everything.

John

Archived