Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NY Doors Keyboardists

Shamanczarek

Apparently Robby Krieger's Keyboard player wants someone to sub on a couple of NY dates. I'm checking this out further and will post more info.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! One of my bands opened for them locally here in Long Island a few months back (and our lead singer got to front Krieger's band for "Roadhouse Blues"), maybe if he remembers I could get a shot!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

New info: After receiving several responses Robby has apparently narrowed the search down to a couple of prospects. He is looking for someone preferably from a Doors tribute band who can play the repertoire note-for-note like the recorded versions.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Just curious, is playing LHB required for this gig? I've heard a couple of Doors tribute bands and they all had a bass player.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I know Robby has been using a Bass player for a long time in his own band as well as when he and Ray were playing together doing all Doors songs.

I saw Robby when he had Berry Oakley, jr. on Bass. In the early 90's Oakley had a band called Bloodline with Robby's son Waylon, Joe Bonamassa, Erin Davis (son of Miles), and Lou Segreti on Keys. Bloodline dissolved and Waylon and Berry joined Robby's band. They played Doors songs along with Allman Brothers material giving Robby a chance to show off his slide playing. The Allman Brothers and The Doors were extremely close friends back in the day. A later Bass player in Robby's band was Angelo Barbera who also initially played in the Manzarek-Krieger Band. He didn't like flying so left Manzarek-Krieger and was replaced by Phil Chen.

The current Robby Krieger Band members are Phil Chen, Ty Dennis (drums), Waylon Krieger (vocals), and Nathan Wilmarth (Keys).

I once played with Robby in Paris on Jim Morrison's 50th birthday celebration. That was an unforgettable once in a lifetime magical experience on the level of when I played at the 25th anniversary of Woodstock on the original site in Bethel along with many of the original performers. I'm holding out hope that I might play with Robby once more.

• 2 weeks later...
I received a call from the man himself. I will be doing two dates in NY. Sept. 24 at the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead and Sept. 25 at the Highline Ballroom in NYC.

Congrats!! Suffolk Theatre is a great venue, really beautiful, you'll love playing there if you haven't had the chance before.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Thanks Rich. I played there a few years ago opening for Peter Tork. Very nice place.

Congratulations! Great to hear when one of our own lands a nice gig. So what will your "Doors rig" look like for those shows? I see a lot of possibilities in your gear arsenol.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Thank you, Moonglow. I will be using a Vox Continental with a supplemental modern Keyboard for Piano sounds. I am hoping to have my American-made Continental ready to go by the time of the gig as that is what I believe Ray used most often. I do have British and Italian versions available if necessary. I would love to use the Fender Rhodes Piano Bass but Robby has a Bass player, the great Phil Chen. I will also be dressing like Ray did in the 60's with an authentic suit and vintage rimless glasses.

Thank you, everyone. Many of Robby's shows get posted on YouTube so hopefully one the upcoming performances will be documented. Here is a photo taken on December 8, 1993 from the first time I played with Robby at La Cigale in Paris. We did Wake Up into Light My Fire, When the Music's Over, and Spanish Caravan. Everyone involved received a large poster-size copy of this photo and from what I'm told Robby has his copy framed on a wall in his home.

http://www.doorscollectors.com/softparadeandrobby.jpg

Latest news: Robby Krieger will be doing a March of Dimes benefit at the Joe Namath Celebrity Golf Classic in Farmingdale, NY Sept. 21. I have been asked to play this event with him, also.

• 4 weeks later...

The adventure with Robby Krieger began last night. We did the March of Dimes benefit and celebrity party at the Marriott in Uniondale, NY. Joe Namath made a brief appearance but didn't stay. There were many other sports stars in attendance.

So we did a soundcheck with a stageful of musicians including Robby. After we were done one of the guitar players comes up to me and says "Hi, my name's Tommy". I asked him what band he was with and he says "Kiss". It was Tommy Thayer. I knew I had seen the drummer somewhere. It was Danny Seraphine formerly of Chicago.

As the party started the event band ran through their set doing songs like Penny Lane, I'm Your Captain, These Eyes, Lady Madonna, etc. sounding great and making good use of their excellent horn players. At 8:30 it was time to bring on the celebrity musicians. The band first did an incredible spot-on set of Chicago with Danny Seraphine. Tommy Thayer and Robby joined in on a couple of the Chicago songs. Then came the big moment for me to join them for the Doors set. I'm thinking "Is this really happening? What am I doing here with not only Robby Krieger but also Danny Seraphine and Tommy Thayer? Robby's son Waylon joined on vocals for Break On Through, Love Me Two Times, and Roadhouse Blues. Then Tommy Thayer took the spotlight for Rock and Roll All Night which I sat out. Next Robby introduces guest vocalist Chris who will be singing Light My Fire. After we were done Chris comes over to me and introduces himself telling me he saw me play at Infinity Hall in Hartford, CT in January. It was Chris Berman from ESPN. Who would have known he was a big Doors fan?

I used my US-made Vox Continental which my tech put into excellent working order. On top of the Vox was my Casio WK-3800 which I used to keep my left hand occupied and quietly double the bass part with a Rhodes sound.

Robby's band arrives in New York tomorrow and we will do a rehearsal prior to the Saturday and Sunday shows at the Suffolk Theater and Highline Ballroom.

The adventure with Robby Krieger began last night. We did the March of Dimes benefit and celebrity party at the Marriott in Uniondale, NY. Joe Namath made a brief appearance but didn't stay. There were many other sports stars in attendance.

So we did a soundcheck with a stageful of musicians including Robby. After we were done one of the guitar players comes up to me and says "Hi, my name's Tommy". I asked him what band he was with and he says "Kiss". It was Tommy Thayer. I knew I had seen the drummer somewhere. It was Danny Seraphine formerly of Chicago.

As the party started the event band ran through their set doing songs like Penny Lane, I'm Your Captain, These Eyes, Lady Madonna, etc. sounding great and making good use of their excellent horn players. At 8:30 it was time to bring on the celebrity musicians. The band first did an incredible spot-on set of Chicago with Danny Seraphine. Tommy Thayer and Robby joined in on a couple of the Chicago songs. Then came the big moment for me to join them for the Doors set. I'm thinking "Is this really happening? What am I doing here with not only Robby Krieger but also Danny Seraphine and Tommy Thayer? Robby's son Waylon joined on vocals for Break On Through, Love Me Two Times, and Roadhouse Blues. Then Tommy Thayer took the spotlight for Rock and Roll All Night which I sat out. Next Robby introduces guest vocalist Chris who will be singing Light My Fire. After we were done Chris comes over to me and introduces himself telling me he saw me play at Infinity Hall in Hartford, CT in January. It was Chris Berman from ESPN. Who would have known he was a big Doors fan?

I used my US-made Vox Continental which my tech put into excellent working order. On top of the Vox was my Casio WK-3800 which I used to keep my left hand occupied and quietly double the bass part with a Rhodes sound.

Robby's band arrives in New York tomorrow and we will do a rehearsal prior to the Saturday and Sunday shows at the Suffolk Theater and Highline Ballroom.

Great gig. Congrats!

Doors is the music of my youth. Always loved Ray to his passing.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Congrats and thanks for sharing the experience with us! All we can offer in return is our sincere jealousy! :)

Rich Forman

It was rehearsal day with Robby. Bassist Phil Chen was there as well as Robby's son Waylon on vocals. Drummer Ty Dennis was coming in later tonight so his drum tech who plays in a Los Angeles Doors tribute band filled in and did an excellent job. Robby's guitar tech also plays in LA Doors tribute bands and has even filled in for Robby on some past dates when Ray Manzarek was in the band.

Robby seemed a bit skeptical at first about my Casio WK-3800. I showed him what it could do and he was very impressed with how well it can replicate the Doors keyboard sounds. He said they will have to get one.

Saturday 9/24 is our first show which is at the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead, NY.

Archived