Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for a keyboard with good rhodes sound AND pitch bend

gu93

I was tempted to invest in a Korg SV-1 because of it's sweet sounds, especially the Rhodes sound, but then I realized it has no pitch bend. Can anyone recommend something with both? I am new to electric keyboards. Thank you!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, i think he means he needs a pitch bend in addition.

gu93, what are you planning? you need this board to cover more than Rhodes? A lot of synth leads, hence the need of the pitch bend? Or are you using another sound source for your synthy stuff so this keyboard has to be a good controller?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I was tempted to invest in a Korg SV-1 because of it's sweet sounds, especially the Rhodes sound, but then I realized it has no pitch bend. Can anyone recommend something with both? I am new to electric keyboards. Thank you!

The Casio PX5-S has decent Rhodes sounds and a pitch bend wheel. I've used one for a couple of years and no issues.

The Casio PX5-S has decent Rhodes sounds and a pitch bend wheel. I've used one for a couple of years and no issues.

+1 on the PX-5S, esp. if you are new to electronic keyboards and will need help. Join PX-5S Facebook Group and you can get your questions answered 24/7 - we're close to 3000 members! :2thu:

There are also a ton of sounds you can download at Casio Music Forums , including the Steve Weingart Rhodes sound.

If you liked the SV-1 then ..... maybe the Kawai MP-7.

A nice balanced collection of sounds. Nice control layout. IMO a easy to learn interface. Good action and in the same general price range as the SV-1. It has amp simulators sort of / kind of like the SV-1.

I played the Montage 8 and thought the EPs were nice. So is the EPs on Nord Stage 2 EX ..... and the Forte. But that is a lot more money.

The Casio PX5s is good at a nice price. One person who bought the Casio was a newbie at electronic keyboards and did not get along with the Casio interface. Also you can't plus an expression pedal into it without additional doo-dads.

If I needed a stage piano and didn't need to control any more than 4 zones I would get a MP7.

[video:youtube]

Chuck is a member here. Here he does a pretty through walkthrough on the MP7. Chuck talks about the half damper pedal being large. The Kawai's half damper crushes the Korg DS-1 because the size of the pedal gives you enough travel distance you can actually use it well.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm sure if Herbie or Chick had been able to pitch-bend a Rhodes back in "the day" it would be as required as tremolo or a phaser.

Anyway back to the OP, you can do that on a CP-4.

Here for the gear.

I'm sure if Herbie or Chick had been able to pitch-bend a Rhodes back in "the day" it would be as required as tremolo or a phaser.

CP-4 gets my vote too. I'm very happy with the multitude and quality of EP's it has available.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Actually, Herbie was really excited about the possibility of bending notes on the Rhodes. A lot of his more bluesy licks hint at that motion - and finally, he was able to do it with the echoplex. If you listen to the Fender Rhodes flexidisc where Herbie demonstrates the Rhodes, you can hear how excited he was about the possibility. Countless live recordings of Herbie feature the pitch-bend technique by varying the play / record head distance.

The thing is (and this is subjective) - pitch-bending a Rhodes with an echoplex is still a very hip sound in my opinion, whereas taking a Rhodes timbre and using a pitch bend stick / control is facepalm central for me - probably to the point of needing to stop listening to what's going on...

I know that's OT in terms of helping the poster find a suitable model. Yes you can do it with a Nord but that might be over-budget. But I thought I'd include the info about Herbie and the pitch-bending because it genuinely was something he wanted to do and luckily, because of the era and technology, it ended up sounding fantastic.

CP-4 is really sweet. It is limited as a controller compared to Kawai. But both have more controller features than the SV-1.

But if it covers all your needs it nice. The more I play it at the local dealer the more I like it.

Not demonstrating the EP sounds here, but I was surprised in side by side listening of the 3 he moves back and forth on with regard to AP. I actually also like the EP patches on the PX-5S/PX560. No comment on other features or difference in action between the 3 at this time. ;)

Personally I like the Casio Wurlies a lot.

CP-4 gets my vote too. I'm very happy with the multitude and quality of EP's it has available.

I'm all in on the CP4 also. On the minus side tremolo/vibrato cannot be assigned to the modulation wheel. Other than that it's great.

:nopity:

CP-4 is really sweet. It is limited as a controller compared to Kawai. But both have more controller features than the SV-1.

But if it covers all your needs it nice. The more I play it at the local dealer the more I like it.

Great sounding electric piano's !!! I remember (long ago) when i had a Yamaha P120 which also had a killer rhodes patch compared to the competition.

But that CP4 acoustic piano sound......no vibe no warmth, sterile and clean. Compared to my Garritan CFX it is bad reproduction of a real Yamaha grand piano,....really bad.

A shame, because the CP4 would be on top of my list if only the piano's sounded warmer and with more detail.

I still wonder how much scorn the triple strike Kurzweil piano still receives in all sorts of amusing comentary, but this sixtuple strike, looped, without proper string resonance implemented CP4 piano receives raving compliments as being the pinnacle of stage piano's...really ?

CP-4 is a really good just-over-$2k stage piano. With a little conscious decision making in the build they managed to give it the NW-GH action and get it down to 38.5lbs. The sample libraries are stylistically Yamaha, of course. The funny thing is that we will hear comments from time to time that Yamaha pianos are lacking character or "sterile". And yet... at the same time, there are players who bought the CP-4 and were peeved at the imperfections from the source CFX that Yamaha left in the library.

I went from an SV-1 to a Roland RD-800, though never use the pitchbend. The keybed is way more advanced, with 4 sensors/key, escapement, ebony/ivory feel. Tonewheel modeling organs, Supernatural APs/EPs/Clavs, Easy 4-part splits/layers with independent insert effects. 1000+ sounds. The SV-1 was good for EPs, but limited for everything else.

It's maybe out of budget but the pianos, epianos, Wurli's, are great on the

Kurzweil Forte. And not in a clean way. Lots of character. You know how

things can be a little out of tune in a good way or how hard you hit it?

You get that good kind of break up?

With the recent huge update they made available a bunch of synth

templates that parlay VAST VA and it really works like you want it to.

I was blown away. Most of the time it's a synth wave and kind of a filter.

Or the entire sound baked in to the wave.

Not this. It's the synth you wanted the Poly Six to be in the Kronos.

Because you could understand that. But the poly six was just that.

You want an OB or prophet 5. A polysynth with grunt, slam.

It's in the Forte now. I've been re writing my setups ever since. This is great.

Oh, you can bend pitch on anything you want. Wheels are there.

Didn't stop Kenny Kirkland.

If it feels right and sounds good. Do it.

John

Thank you everyone for the great advice! In fact, I'm getting into keyboards because I bought a Roland D-10 a few years ago and have been having so much fun with it. My favorite sound was one of the electric organs, but the selector button is acting up so I'm looking to move up. The Casio PX5-s would be more than enough board for me. I don't need a stage piano; 73 keys would be plenty. $1000 or less suits my budget.

Less than a grand.

I think if you can find one in a shop nearby to try, I would take a serious look at the Roland DS-88 ($999), Roland RD-64 ($899), maybe a sale on a Roland RD-300NX ($1299). The PX-5S just makes it as well at $999, look for a sale or second hand.

Thank you everyone for the great advice! In fact, I'm getting into keyboards because I bought a Roland D-10 a few years ago and have been having so much fun with it. My favorite sound was one of the electric organs, but the selector button is acting up so I'm looking to move up. The Casio PX5-s would be more than enough board for me. I don't need a stage piano; 73 keys would be plenty. $1000 or less suits my budget.

Under $1k, good Rhodes, variety of other sounds, pitch/mod... I agree, Casio PX5S if you're looking for a weighted action, which is probably what you want if Rhodes is your primary sound. But noting that you're coming from an unweighted action and also like organ, another possibility could be the Kurzweil SP4-7.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived