Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a sampler to integrate into my rig....

Jefsong

Hey Guys,

My current rig consists of a Yamaha s90ES and a Hammond SK2. Lately I am in need of being able to trigger some samples both one shots AND sampled sounds. I would prefer to trigger these samples from my keyboard. I have experimented with my iPad and most software I can find is pretty useless not to mention the latency issues. I am also not that interested in lugging my MacBook Pro to gigs just for sample playback.

I need perhaps a stand alone sampler that can be triggered on multiple midi channels and can accept program/patch changes.

Does anyone use anything like that anymore? Suggestions?

Thank you.

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

www.jeffreybryanmusic.com

Keyboardist for Survivor

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There aint much to choose from. Everyone has gone software now.

Is a 3rd board an option? Then a used Fantom G7 would be my choice. Sample editing on the Fantom was pretty robust.

File management on the Kronos is a pain in the ass. It is a learning curve. I don't know Kurzweil but that is an option.

True stand alone rack units - ASR 10 is really long in the tooth. An old Akai S series maybe. $500 or less should get you in the game if 16-bit is good enough.

But all the serious new stuff seems to be software. Disk storage is cheap enough there are few limitations compared to hardware.

If I need to do this I put the one shots on a FA-06 and sampled sounds on the Kronos. Since you want to do everything from a keyboard the Kronos will do it all.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for something small and light like a rack module. I don't really want to do a third board. I may have to bite the bullet and add the macbook pro but what a pain for me. :(

Yamaha Montage 8, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

Keyboardist for Survivor

I am in need of being able to trigger some samples both one shots AND sampled sounds. I would prefer to trigger these samples from my keyboard. I have experimented with my iPad and most software I can find is pretty useless not to mention the latency issues.

Which apps have you tried? Some you could check out if you haven't...

bs-16i

http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/index.html

Soundfont Pro

http://www.itimsystems.com/product-soundfontpro/

Caustic

http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

MIDI Keyboard/MIDI Sampler/ME MIDI Sampler

http://www.ngcybit.it/iTunesApp/music/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have tried BS-16i - I don't like that I have to convert everything to a Soundfont.

I have also tried ME MIDI Sampler - This actually works except that it seems only to receive in omni mode and there is no way to send a patch change to it. (Unless you know how to do it?)

I'll have to check out Caustic and Soundfont Pro.

Thanks.

Keyboardist for Survivor

I have a Roland SP404-SX that I'm not using. Zero load time or latency, sample length is limited to how big your memory card is. I bought it for my Floyd band but then got the FA08 which has basically the same sampler built in and it's been sitting ever since. I never messed with midi on it but I know it can be triggered from a keyboard. Let me know if you are interested.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I am in need of being able to trigger some samples both one shots AND sampled sounds. I would prefer to trigger these samples from my keyboard. I have experimented with my iPad and most software I can find is pretty useless not to mention the latency issues.

Which apps have you tried? Some you could check out if you haven't...

bs-16i

http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/index.html

Soundfont Pro

http://www.itimsystems.com/product-soundfontpro/

Caustic

http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

MIDI Keyboard/MIDI Sampler/ME MIDI Sampler

http://www.ngcybit.it/iTunesApp/music/

Caustic looks like it might be perfect. AnotherScott - Do you have any experience with this one? It looks like it can only be midi controlled with the Android version and not the iPad?

Keyboardist for Survivor

Jefsong

I've struggled with this for a while, looking for simple one-shot sample players for playing reggae dub sounds and old movie dialog clips, as well as a few sampled instruments.

For iOS/iPads, the best I've been able to find for live use (and have tried many, although not Caustic) was the drum/sample player in Beatmaker 2.

Pros:

- Very stable

- Very easy to get samples imported in

- Quite powerful tweaking/editing options once the samples are in.

Cons:

- Originally designed as more of a "beat making app"

- File structure is confusing

- A bit long in the tooth (although supposedly there is a Beatmaker 3 that should be done sometime this year).

Also, the Korg microSampler is pretty cool - no longer in production, but you can load up quite a few different sounds, in different banks - the PC editor is also very very easy to use.

It is another keyboard, but is very small and light (mini-keys), and can run off of batteries.

Has some cool features - you can have banks that are a separate one-shot for each key (up to 37 per bank), or, you can switch to keyboard mode where any one of those samples can be played across the whole keyboard range. You can also load up large sample sets of instruments where each key has been sampled. Good MIDI in/out, and a number of built in effects.

If you dig around on the Web, you can find a some pre-packaged instrument sounds that are pretty good.

Korg microSampler - SoundOnSound review

Either Beatmaker 2 and an iPad, or the Korg microSampler are really the best I've been able to find so far. And I've wasted quite a bit of time on this :/

Seems like somebody should come up with a simple sample module, for a couple of hundred bucks, for exactly this request.

My favorite thing about the Roland SP404SX and the FA-06/FA-08 is the way it dynamically allocates storage memory. It blows stuff like the Casio XW-PD1 and Korg Electribe sampler out of the water where you are seriously limited in your sample lengths.

If you have SD Card space on the Rolands you can sample it..... period. I sample entire songs with the FA like the 20th Century Fox movie intro theme and the Looney Tunes theme. The Looney Tunes theme is long. It goes into a double time part at the end then finishes off with Porky's 'That's All Folks'

If I replace the FA-06 with a JP-80 the plan is to get a SP404XS and velcro it to the top of the JP-80. The effects could be handy for the risers and drops I trigger. Some of the original noiz builds I did are too dry.

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree there seems to be a need in the market for this. I am surprised it has been difficult to find unless it's incorporated into a huge rompler. I am gonna check out the Korg Micro sample as well.

Keyboardist for Survivor

I still have a Fantom-Xr in my rack for just this purpose. File management is easy. I edit my samples in Wavelab or Audacity and can copy the wav files onto the Roland-formatted CF card, no fancy conversion necessary.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

It looks like it can only be midi controlled with the Android version and not the iPad?

Caustic does support MIDI on iOS. I guess it's more of a "selling point" on Android because relatively few apps on Android have that capability. On iOS, it's kind of expected.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can the 404 keymap and pitch - like for instrument making for play from your FA? Also can you do velocity layers with it?

No, it's not that sophisticated. You could create that kind of sample in an editor and copy it to the SD card though. It's not a full blown sampler in that regard. More like 1 shot stuff with a built in pattern sequencer that you can chain stuff together with if that's what you need. My use of it was only sound effect stuff for the Floyd band. Assign a sample to a pad, hit it and let it run.

edit to add- all my sample edits were done on my computer, with Audacity.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

If you can find a used Nord Wave on the cheap, blowing in samples, editing, snipping and then distributing across the keyboard is pretty bone simple. The Nord free software for sample management is far more straightforward for me than trying to wrestle the Kronos into submission.

It's looking like Caustic for iPad is the winner for me. I went ahead and purchased it and within minutes I loaded a few of my own samples and figured out how send a patch change from master mode in s90es. So thanks for the suggestion! Only potential problem to work out is the sampler module in Caustic doesn't seem to respond to program changes only the synth patches do... But I may find a work around. I run my iPad thru a Behringer i202 studio and it sits on top of the s90es. So far so good.

Keyboardist for Survivor

I just acquired the Akai MPX16, and I'm sad to say that I'm a little disappointed by it. There is hardly any literature on it, and the manual is not very detailed nor are there many tutorials online by others to help with the learning curve.

The drum kit editing software that is available for the MPX8 is for some reason not available for the MPX16.

There is no internal memory for sounds to my knowledge. It comes with 21 sounds that you can't replace and must use an external SD card that takes a whopping FOUR FREAKIN MINUTES to load.(God forbid you wanna use this to trigger live and accidentally turn it off!)

Let's see... what else....

Oh, it also takes a long time to load if you want to go from one drum kit to the next.I saved a kit with samples and saved a pad to trigger as one shot, but it keeps looping for some God awful reason! and lastly there's just a tiny bit of audio degradation.

This unit seems much more geared towards production than for live sampling. That is all.

Affiliations: Noble Vibes , Acme Recording Co., Firehouse Saloon

Gear: Triton Extreme, Casio WK-7600, Pro Tools 9, Mbox 2, Gemeinhardt flute

"insert quote by Bob Marley too long to post"

I already have an Android tablet mounted to my rig running MobileSheets Pro. I might check out Caustic. Not sure if the tablet can functionally multi-task.

Archived