Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Accidental Mitch Towne sighting

Sam Mullins

I was at the opening night of the Iowa City Jazz Festival and decided to catch one of the side stage acts before the headliner (Allison Miller's Boom Tic Boom). I noticed the organ player had a Crumar Mojo and I was going to ask him if he liked it as much as Mitch Towne likes his.

Well, it turns out he liked it exactly as much...because it was Mitch. He was in town playing with the Steve Grismore Trio (one of our local jazz heroes). So it was great to meet him in person after the set ....and even better to hear him killing it on the Mojo. Great playing and the Mojo sounded fantastic through a real Leslie.

Turned out it wasn't total happenstance that he was in Iowa CIty as he told me he graduated here once upon a time.

If you get a chance to see Mitch live, jump at it!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I said when we chatted, I was thinking I should have let you know I was coming to town because I knew you were in Iowa City! Great to meet you, Sam!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

I hope you enjoyed Allison. We were at West Virginia University at the same time and played a lot together in various school ensembles, recitals, etc. She is one of WVU's many music success stories. I am very proud to know her!

I hope you enjoyed Allison. We were at West Virginia University at the same time and played a lot together in various school ensembles, recitals, etc. She is one of WVU's many music success stories. I am very proud to know her!

Yes I did. She was doing stuff from her latest record...nice and eclectic. I particularly enjoyed the first tune which veered into klezmer. Unfortunately I had to get up very early and could only stay for half the show.

Also caught Akiko Tsuruga on Hammond earlier in the evening. Her trio did a swinging version of the Dating Game Theme!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

An accidental Mitch Towne sighting is much better than an accidental Mitch Towne smelling. Take it from me.

I'm not going to touch that one.

www.stickmanor.com

That's unpossible!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Hey now. Are you saying you don't like the smell of Hammond oil??

Well, I sold the only real Hammond ( a '59 C3) I owned twenty years ago...but I did keep a small container of oil to sniff :)

www.stickmanor.com

The festival has been fantastic. Got to hear Hammond player Akiko Tsuruga and hung out and played with drum legend Jeff Hamilton!

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

The festival has been fantastic. Got to hear Hammond player Akiko Tsuruga and hung out and played with drum legend Jeff Hamilton!

That is very cool Mitch.

The festival has been great. Tonight I saw Marquis Hill Blacktet, Vijay Iyer, and Poncho Sanchez. I liked Marquis Hill by far the best...those guys are tight.

Also saw a really interesting local band called Laranja, which is what I imagine Radiohead would sound like if they had gone to Jazz school.

And it didn't hurt that the temps have been been 65-70, instead of the normal 95 with thunderstorms.

www.stickmanor.com

Tonight Vijay came to my gig to hang out. He didn't play but we chatted a bit. What an amazing player and a humble person.

Archived