Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which 61 key midi controllers have the Fatar TP-80 action?

I am curious if there are any 61 key midi controllers available right now that may have this action. I am interested in the TP-80 action because if I'm not mistaken (I may be wrong) it is the standard for organ keys right now. It probably is easier to just get a clonewheel, but I would be using this midi controller for synths and string sounds as well. Any help would be very welcome.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the "Organ" versions of the Studiologic VMK-161 and VMK-161 Plus featured that action. That product has been discontinued, but it appears that some U.S. dealers, at least, still have new stock.

Some versions of the VMK-161 shipped with a hammer action. You have to double-check which one you're getting if you try to chase one down online.

Plenty have a TP-8 or 9 I imagine. The O variant means it has waterfall keys, no?

Oh, I had no idea the O meant the keys were waterfall. I guess it can be TP-8 then. As long as the key action is the same or similar for me it makes no difference if they are waterfall or not.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

Plenty have a TP-8 or 9 I imagine. The O variant means it has waterfall keys, no?

Oh, I had no idea the O meant the keys were waterfall. I guess it can be TP-8 then. As long as the key action is the same or similar for me it makes no difference if they are waterfall or not.

Yes, the TP-8O action is the unweighted, organ-style waterfall keybed used in nearly all clonewheels; I do not believe there is a TP-80 action. The TP-8 action is generally referred to as "semi-weighted" (e.g. Kurzweil Artis 7, PC3 7 series, etc.)

I just purchased a Studiologic Numa Organ 2, which also uses the TP-8O keybed. In my case, I wanted a six-octave TP-8O keybed to use as a MIDI controller, and this is the only 73-key board I know of that sports both waterfall keys AND pitch/mod wheels. When playing the internal KeyB organ, the bottom octave just selects presets, but in external MIDI-controller mode the bottom octave is playable (albeit in reverse colors :) )

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Archived