Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songwriting

DocPate

Todays kids and their adult parents are probably driving while looking at those apps instead of the road. I remember those endless road signs trying to draw tourists off of the Arizona desert highways to stop and see The Thing or some such big ball of string LOL! :crazy:
Take care, Larryz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Todays kids and their adult parents are probably driving while looking at those apps instead of the road. I remember those endless road signs trying to draw tourists off of the Arizona desert highways to stop and see The Thing or some such big ball of string LOL! :crazy:

I remember before I had a smart phone driving down Interstate 5 between Sacramento and LA, this guy comes slowly by me (At 75 mph plus) with no eyes on the road and typing away on his phone. I backed off and let him go off into the distance. That was the first time I ever encountered that on the road.

And yes I remember the Thing and the Ball of string thing as well in Arizona, I have not seen that in a while, as I never travel east on the Interstates anymore (so far) I only go west these days (And then east back to where I started in the Phoenix area) There are no big The Thing and the Ball of String thing signs anymore on interstate 10 or 8 west of Phoenix area.

@ DBM, yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right about those old roadside signs and attractions being all gone now. It was a long time ago but I still remember them. I was born in Arizona near the border of New Mexico. We moved to California when I was 3 years old. Every year until I was about 15 or so, we would make the trip back to visit my Great Grand Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, etc., and ride horses on the ranch. On the way it was very difficult if not impossible each year to get my dad to stop at either of those two attractions as he was the truck driver type that had to make good time. We were lucky to get a coke at a gas station LOL! I think it was my grandmother that finally took me to one of them later in life and I found out dad was right. Not worth the time but at least I finally got to visit one.

And, Happy Fathers Day to all the forumite Dads out there!!! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

The only "roadside attractions" I can recall only go back as far as '68 and '69 when the family made our two trips to the Smoky Mountains. Both times we camped in a campground on the outskirts of Pidgeon Forge, Tenn. I know now DOLLYWOOD takes up a lot of area there, but back then, Pidgeon Forge was only a gas station, a small grocery market and a Post Office that was only a small building holding a mail slot and a stamp machine. NO postal employees!

The "roadside attractions" had signs of all kinds letting you know you were almost there, or "turn here" to get there and such. One was called "Dogpatch U.S.A." and another, which advertised largely on birdhouse roofs, was called "Rock City". I suppose it displayed samples of all the geological diversity of the region, but the name always got a chuckle out of me. :D "What a cool name for a rock'n'roll venue!" I would think :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Another roadside attraction was those little orange stands in the shape and color of an orange. You would definitely stop for an orange Julius. Made in a blender with orange juice, ice and a raw egg white and some other secret stuff...definitely a welcome site on a hot desert or anywhere else LOL! They still make them today and they are more of a fast food juicer shop version, than the way I remember the homemade version that was made right before your eyes! The secret recipe is no secret anymore. You may have to wade through a few on-line recipes to find one that you really like and tastes like the original... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

You can now('round here anyway,and probably elsewhere)pick up an Orange Julius at any nearby Dairy Queen. Someone on another forum I'm in one day went on and on about them, so when I notied DQ advertising they had them, tried one to see what all the fuss was about. Good stuff! I stop and get one about once a week.

Here in Michigan, there weren't any roadside stands of that sort that I can recall. Just mostly "Jerry-rigged" wooden shacks with some grizzled farmer selling ears of corn or strawberries out in the "boonies".

Whitefang

Back in the old days them farmers could put out a Hard Cider sign LOL! I always kept an eye out for those during apple and cherry harvest time. Now days ATF will storm troop you if you put out a sign like that! I Googled on orange Julius locations and a ton of them came up in California. Maybe there is a franchise out there now...they are delicious but being a type II, I make sure I don't get hooked on them again LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I was born in Arizona near the border of New Mexico.

What town?

Lynda and I used to go apple pickin in Safford Az on our way west from the east coast. Stopped there and picked apples up on Mt Graham quite a few times. Anywhere near there?

Duncan is not far from Safford , I think it's east 50 or 60 miles +/- and is the town where all my grandfathers and grandmothers are buried to include great grand(s)...and it's Duncan, AZ. The area is Duncan, Clifton and Morenci which is kind of a dry country on the Gila River. Just north of Morenci was my uncles ranch and the start the Coronado Trail which goes up into the high country Apache National Forrest area. Alpine AZ is about 8,000ft elevation and is Elk country. It's the prettiest part of Arizona IMHO. My uncle was the Sheriff of Greenlee County for several decades... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I'd certainly hate to be in Arizona these past few days!

I don't take heat well. one of the most miserable times in my life is when my wife and I drove her Father to visit his then 90 year old brother at a nursing home in Laredo Texas the July of '91. Swinging by to see the old Ryman Auditorium on the way down made it worthwhile. And meeting her Uncle Marcos(her dad's brother in the home) was cool too. But triple digit temperatures aren't such a treat. To cool off once there, I jumped in the motel's swimming pool and by the time I got to my room I was completely dry! Man! Gets in the upper 80's here and I'm listless as a slug. And don't fall into the trap of thinking "it's the humidity". Sure, humid don't help, but hot without it really isn't much better. My OVEN is a "dry heat", but don't go lookin'for me to MOVE IN any time! :D

Whitefang

Duncan is not far from Safford , I think it's east 50 or 60 miles +/- and is the town where all my grandfathers and grandmothers are buried to include great grand(s)...and it's Duncan, AZ. The area is Duncan, Clifton and Morenci which is kind of a dry country on the Gila River. Just north of Morenci was my uncles ranch and the start the Coronado Trail which goes up into the high country Apache National Forrest area. Alpine AZ is about 8,000ft elevation and is Elk country. It's the prettiest part of Arizona IMHO. My uncle was the Sheriff of Greenlee County for several decades... :cool:

I had a friend who had a little property in Ft Thomas AZ about 15 or 20 miles west of Safford on hy 70. I used to visit him every time I went past on my way west on surf trips to North San Diego County. He sold his interest sometime later and wound up in Corvallis Montana.

I have never seen Duncan as I always traveled either I-40 or I-10 in that part of Az.

I'd certainly hate to be in Arizona these past few days!

I don't take heat well. one of the most miserable times in my life is when my wife and I drove her Father to visit his then 90 year old brother at a nursing home in Laredo Texas the July of '91. Swinging by to see the old Ryman Auditorium on the way down made it worthwhile. And meeting her Uncle Marcos(her dad's brother in the home) was cool too. But triple digit temperatures aren't such a treat. To cool off once there, I jumped in the motel's swimming pool and by the time I got to my room I was completely dry! Man! Gets in the upper 80's here and I'm listless as a slug. And don't fall into the trap of thinking "it's the humidity". Sure, humid don't help, but hot without it really isn't much better. My OVEN is a "dry heat", but don't go lookin'for me to MOVE IN any time! :D

Whitefang

It hurt the first summer Fang it truly did. I do not go outside much in the summer. I travel from air conditioned space to air conditioned space, in an air conditioned vehicle. However when I do go outside I can take the heat these days. It is similar to living in the North in the winter, you all go from heater to heater generally and dress in bundles of clothes if you do go outside. Six of one, half dozen of the other. However no matter how hot it gets in Az I don't have to shovel any of it off the driveway or sidewalk. :cheers:

I have an imaginary straight line I draw in my head from Jax Florida to LA area. I will never live far from that line if I have any choice. Y'all can live up there in comfort no problem from me, I'll just be down south keepin the home fires OUT. :cheers:

I have never seen Duncan as I always traveled either I-40 or I-10 in that part of Az.

You haven't missed much as it's just a spot on the road with a few businesses and if you blink, you'll miss it LOL! Morenci has one of the deepest open pit mines in the world. Copper mining was the main employment for many miles around. Very impressive site to visit some day...

It is amazing how hot that desert can be during the day and if you don't have some heavy covers, you'll freeze your butt off at night LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

@DBM: True that, about not having to shovel any of it off the sidewalks. But the last couple of winters ere have been so "up and down" moderate,with so slight snowfall that not much shovelling needed being done. I haven't handled my snow shovel for two winters now, and since my health set back from '14, The nephew who comes by to do my lawn also said if needed, he'll do the snow come winter too. But also...

A long time friend fof mine and my ex's moved to Tempe back in the late '70's. She was five years younger than us, but the last time I saw her( at the ex's funeral in '04) she looked five or more years OLDER than most of her old Michigan friends in attendance! Nice TAN for sure, but on skin like dry leather. I guess there's trade-offs in everything.

Whitefang

I remember an alligator farm while on a road trip in the everglades in Florida. They all looked like they couldn't move on the bank of the small pool. I noticed some of them had a leg or two missing! Then the guy comes out and throws some food on the beach and you learn just how fast those slow motionless monsters can move! Then the big mama surfaces and swims toward the beach and you see just how fast they really can clear out the beach LOL! Wow! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Archived