Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOJO Tonewheel Sets

Stephen S

I've not yet had a chance to evaluate all 22 of the "tonewheel sets" that come with the MOJO. Has anybody gone through them and documented their thoughts/impressions?

DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic www.fulcrum-acoustic.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a spreadsheet at one point, slightly obsolete now since there were originally only 20, and they got rearranged a bit when Mitch's 2 organs were added.

I think it is still posted on the Yahoo Mojo group files section.

Moe

---

I like set 1. Works great with my amplification support.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks, Moe. I've got a monitor plugged in and am going to test drive some of them as soon as a I find a minute or two. Thanks for the spreadsheet; it will come in handy.
DISCLAIMER - professionally affiliated with Fulcrum Acoustic www.fulcrum-acoustic.com

That spreadsheet would be handy ... what is the Yahoo Mojo group called? I've been searching and Mojo is a very popular word on Yahoo.

Actually what I'm really interested in is creating my own tonewheel set for the Mojo. I don't have my own console to measure though, I was just going to take one of the existing sets and tweak it a bit. Currently I'm favouring Mitch's A100, because it's not so screamy in the upper registers. Are the actual tonewheel files available anywhere?

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

I like set 1. Works great with my amplification support.

Indeed. 1 and 2 are easy to overlook, because they don't have sexy names like "59 C3", but they are very good models.

That spreadsheet would be handy ... what is the Yahoo Mojo group called?

John -

it's called MojoMusicians. here is a LINK

You will need to join first to have access to the files section.

I can send you mine.

Thanks to both of you. My particular reason for wanting to get ahold of tonewheel sets is to deal with some of the unevenness that is exhibited in all of them in some way. There are some very interesting posts in MojoMusicians which suggest that the rotary effect is partially to blame. It's true that small adjustments of the mic angle setting can enhance or diminish certain notes around the highest F, G area (using 888000000, for example).

The simplest thing to do in my case is just go back to using my Vent with the Mojo, at least until I've had a chance to play with the tonewheel settings. I've been happy enough with the Mojo's rotary sound to date, but I haven't been as impressed with the overdrive, but it's OK. Up till now I hadn't tried the Mojo thru the Vent, but I'm liking my first impressions - I've had my Mojo for 4 months and have only now gotten around to trying the combination out - are that it smooths out notes across the whole instument range.

Soon I hope to have my Leslie (251 rewired as 147) running again and that's the test I'm really looking forward to.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Archived