Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Fetish Pickups

Fred_C

Gents,

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with pickups made by Guitar Fetish? I have been trading emails with them regarding their "Parson Street Alnico II Humbuckers".

The pickups are very inexpensive, but they assure me that they are of high quality and compete with much more expensive pickups in terms of quality and performance.

Any comments?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gents,

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with pickups made by Guitar Fetish? I have been trading emails with them regarding their "Parson Street Alnico II Humbuckers".

The pickups are very inexpensive, but they assure me that they are of high quality and compete with much more expensive pickups in terms of quality and performance.

Any comments?

Hmmmm, as far as I know, Parsons Street Alnico 2 Humbuckers are a product from Stewart-MacDonald, part of their reasonably priced Golden Age line.

Searching for info on the GFS humbuckers and Stew-Mac Parsons Street, I happened to run across this:

"I've installed a set of their (GFS) unpotted AlNiCo II humbuckers in a Les Paul. They sounded identical to the Stewart MacDonald Parson Street humbuckers at 1/2 the price. Though single coils, their Mean 90 and Dream 90 pickups as well as their professional series single coils are top notch."

FWIW here, I have played through a pair of Stew-Mac Parsons Street humbuckers in an excellent Les Paul styled guitar that friends built, and they were very nice, toneful vintage P.A.F. type pickups. If these GFS pickups are indeed much alike those, then they're likely good pickups for anyone who likes that type.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Gents,

Any comments?

Hmmmm, as far as I know, Parsons Street Alnico 2 Humbuckers are a product from Stewart-MacDonald, part of their reasonably priced Golden Age line.

Searching for info on the GFS humbuckers and Stew-Mac Parsons Street, I happened to run across this:

"I've installed a set of their (GFS) unpotted AlNiCo II humbuckers in a Les Paul. They sounded identical to the Stewart MacDonald Parson Street humbuckers at 1/2 the price. Though single coils, their Mean 90 and Dream 90 pickups as well as their professional series single coils are top notch."

FWIW here, I have played through a pair of Stew-Mac Parsons Street humbuckers in an excellent Les Paul styled guitar that friends built, and they were very nice, toneful vintage P.A.F. type pickups. If these GFS pickups are indeed much alike those, then they're likely good pickups for anyone who likes that type.

Wow! Good info, Caev. Yes, I like the "PAF style" sound. I'm wondering if they would represent an upgrade from the Epiphone Alnico II Classics already installed in my Sheraton. I'm guessing they would probably sound pretty similar. They're very inexpensive ($67.50 each) as opposed to about $200 for the Duncan Jazz/59 set and about $360 for the Lollar Imperials.

I would go with the Lollars and/or my favorites, the Gibson 57 Classic Humbuckers...or any other quality pups. $350 is only about $150 more than the GFS pups and the pups are the most important upgrade you can make to an electric guitar IMHO. I would also upgrade the pots...You can use the stock pups until you save up the extra $150 as time is on your side. Just a few thoughts... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Hey Fred,

A couple of years ago I bought a noiseless Tele bridge pickup from GFS. The service was excellent; international shipping quickly expedited, well packaged and came with good wiring diagrams.

It worked perfectly well and was noise cancelling as promised. The trade off was losing a bit of top end sparkle (essentially it is a humbucker masquerading as a single coil). I get the idea that there are a few different methods for noise cancelling single coils and some pickups do it better than others. It seems to be a specific art. So quick answer, I've heard better pickups in this application, but not for the $.

I know you are looking at a different scenario, the humbuckers might be awesome. Are you able to to return them after installation if they aren't what you're after? This is the mystery of pickups, even if you have a good idea of their character they might behave differently in your rig.

Good luck with it!

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Hey Harvey,

Yes. They told me that I could return them if I wasn't happy with the sound. I'm wondering if they would represent an upgrade in performance from the Epiphone Alnico II's that are already installed. I see no point in spending money needlessly.

At this point I'm leaning towards the Duncan Jazz in the neck position and the Duncan '59 in the bridge position. Actually, the bridge pickup is of no consequence, since I tend to play the neck pickup exclusively. I like that big, fat, mellow, jazzy tone of the neck pickup and seldom switch both pickups on. I never play the bridge pickup only.

Can't speak to the ones you're asking about, but one of my favorite inexpensive pickups are the Golden Age HBs at STEWMAC. Nice, medium output HBs that also sound nice split.

Another to look at would be the Tesla OPUS-1 HB.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Can't speak to the ones you're asking about, but one of my favorite inexpensive pickups are the Golden Age HBs at STEWMAC. Nice, medium output HBs that also sound nice split.

Danny,

Agreed. I've been interacting with them via email & phone. They are the Parson Steet h/b's I referred to early in the thread.

Danny,

Agreed. I've been interacting with them via email & phone. They are the Parson Steet h/b's I referred to early in the thread.

The Golden Age/Parsons Street pickups from Stewart-MacDonald that I've run across were mighty tasty P.A.F. stylees that could compete very favorably with similar pricier big-name vintge P.A.F.-style humbuckers.

Danny,

The Golden Age/Parsons Street pickups from Stewart-MacDonald that I've run across were mighty tasty P.A.F. stylees that could compete very favorably with similar pricier big-name vintge P.A.F.-style humbuckers.

That's what they told me too.

Huh- never knew about the GF/Golden Age connection.

Huh? I don't think there is one. As far as I know, Parsons Street Alnico Humbuckers are a product from Stewart-MacDonald, part of their reasonably priced Golden Age line, and, as far as I know, haven't anything to do with GFS.

Huh- never knew about the GF/Golden Age connection.

Huh? I don't think there is one. As far as I know, Parsons Street Alnico Humbuckers are a product from Stewart-MacDonald, part of their reasonably priced Golden Age line, and, as far as I know, haven't anything to do with GFS.

Unless I'm misunderstanding...

Danny,

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Archived