Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tube recommendations for 147 amp

Phil Aiken

I went into a shop--nationally recognized vintage guitar broker (lotsa major clients whose names you'd all recognize) with a store front operation here locally. The owner was testing tubes. I leaned on the counter and started chatting. Asked why he was testing a mound of gnarly old tubes. His reply:

They're used tubes, but if they test okay, I sell them as NOS (New Old Stock).

Guys...face it...true "NEW" Old Stock tubes are loooooong gone. People have been selling NOS tubes since at least the '70s. Do you have any earthly idea how many "New" Old Stock tubes have been sold over the last fifty years?

Yes, there are a few old repair shops that go out of business that happen to have, maybe, five or ten NOS 6550s or 12AX7s or something on the shelf, but they're getting more and more rare. Just as a matter of simple math, if a guy started in business at age 20 in, say, 1967, then that's fifty years ago and he's now 70. Yep, retirement beckons. Perhaps he'll close the shop. But what are the odds that he:

1) Actually did stay in business for fifty years. (I can assure you that in my area there are few-to-no electronics shops from that time period.)

2) Had tubes from (pick your favorite era) on the shelf that he never used.

3) Was unaware that people were paying premium prices for true NOS tubes and was unaware of eBay, etc. as selling avenues.

4) And hadn't already sold the tubes all the way back in the '80s (at which point there was already a major, thriving NOS market).

5) And...get real, here...what are the chances that you, as opposed to Joe Blow in Montana, are the guy who just happens to be the first to call when three lonely tubes come through the door from a closed shop in Miami? Really? You're gonna believe that? I hear there's a bridge for sale up in Brooklyn...wanna buy that, too?

Please, please, please...be careful. NOS means "New" Old Stock, not "Pay an extravagant price for a tube that's already seen 2000 hours in service."

Okay?

Grey

I get your point, but if a tube comes in the proper old box as well, isn't it likely to be true NOS?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i found an old RCA 12au7a , in my organ bench , turned out to be a nice tube , i think the input tube makes a difference , besides the RCA , i think the electro harmonics

tube works pretty good good ,better than the tongsol , has a certain amount of color to it . tried a JJ tube , was too clean , no character , tried a grove tube once , was junky