Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to New Orleans Jazz Fest for the first time

Sam Mullins

I'll be there for Friday and Saturday the first weekend. The only sure thing is that I will see Steely Dan on Friday night. I've been a huge fan for decades but never managed to see them...so I don't care if I'm in the back row, I'll be there.

But would appreciate any other recommendations for those days, particularly with regards to keyboard stuff.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the unabashed self-plugging begin! First Friday I'm playing the Gentilly stage during the first set of the day (aka the "high school jazz band" slot) with a fun, killer band, Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. So if you're out that early, come say hello!

I'm all over town those couple days, but still working out schedule stuff. Will make a full post in Shameless Plugs when I get it together

Let the unabashed self-plugging begin! First Friday I'm playing the Gentilly stage during the first set of the day (aka the "high school jazz band" slot) with a fun, killer band, Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes. So if you're out that early, come say hello!

I'm all over town those couple days, but still working out schedule stuff. Will make a full post in Shameless Plugs when I get it together

Thanks! I'll try to make it over. My wife and I are travelling with two other couples so there will likely be some compromises on which stages we hit.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

Its an awesome adventure ! Its not difficult to move around to all areas, you have indeed picked a good year for your first time. Some advice,- its not that easy to get to, and even harder to leave to get back to your hotel. Be prepared for that, there are shuttle buses to/from the qrtr and downtown. Make sure you have a decent rain jacket, it ALWAYS rains at some point , and with that, be prepared to throw your shoes out afterwards ! Make sure you get to some aftershows at local venues , theres some killer stuff going on......enjoy

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick followup as I'm on my way back from NOLA.

First, thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

The highlight was Steely Dan. Longtime fan but the first time I had seen them ...it was everything I hoped for. Beyond just the inspired performance of some of my favorite songs, I have to.say that the lead guitarist on this tour, John Herrington, is a serious badass.

Other highlights from my two days there:

- Big Sam's Funky Nation (including a nice down-tempo funked up version of "Let's Go Crazy"

- Galactic

- Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys.

Sad to say I got there an hour too late to catch our forumite FunkKeyStuff..hope it went well.

www.stickmanor.com

Archived