Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best" Hammond Organ Module?

Polkahero

Sorry, I'm not up on today's sound modules. Perfectly happy with my current setup, so I'm asking this for a friend who is contemplating purchasing a Kawai MP11 digital stage piano which lacks any organ sounds. He still needs some Hammond organ sounds for certain songs but doesn't want to carry more than one keyboard to gigs. So we're searching for the "best" organ module out there right now.

The only one I'm familiar with is the Roland VK-8M which I don't think is really that great. I have seen the thread on there about the HX3 module but recents posts in there are too technical and deal mainly with OS updates. Does/did Crumar have a Mojo module at one point? He already has Motif XS, Fantom, Triton, and Integra modules which aren't on the same level as my Hammond SK1 or his XK3 (which he doesn't want to drag around). Anything else out there right now (re: readily available) that he should be looking at? Thanks!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you bought an HX3 module today I am certain you would be happy with the current operating system, I haven't updated mine from the previous OS and I'm satisfied. It's a standard half rack space unit and weighs next to nothing. Can't compare it to the Gemini module as I haven't heard it.
:nopity:

If you bought an HX3 module today I am certain you would be happy with the current operating system, I haven't updated mine from the previous OS and I'm satisfied. It's a standard half rack space unit and weighs next to nothing. Can't compare it to the Gemini module as I haven't heard it.

Big question on the HX3 is how is the internal Leslie simulation? I know the Mojo already has a killer simulation installed. I would think this new Gemini module has the same simulation, correct?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The leslie sim in my ears is even better than the mojo's sim, but that is a matter of taste, same as the overall sound.

For use with any non-organ keyboard as a controller you will perhaps be best with this:

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Products/hx3-dbe

Cool product but I doubt it would fit on top of the Kawai MP11, looks too wide.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Forgot to ask earlier Dave, what are you using to control the HX3? Under the FAQ on their website it says something about it not working with certain keyboards.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Here is a listing of what is currently available in portable organs,

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2751406/Portable_Organ_Review_Post_NAM

Most of what is listed is based on just a few engines, not all offer modules at the moment.

Hammond/Suzuki's

Nord's

Korg's CX-3

The HX3 Expander/Module mentioned in Tim's link post above

GSi's VB3II in the Gemini Module

There was period where organ modules were popular... some have been mentioned already. Other 2nd hand models would include the Roland VK-8M...

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Forgot to ask earlier Dave, what are you using to control the HX3?

I'm using a Hammond XK3. Sits overtop the CP4 I bought from you. :thu: Everything in the XK3 has been matched/mapped to the XK3 by brother MG in Deutschland. I chose the XK3 over the SK1 because I wanted pitch/mod wheels for when I'm not playing organ sounds over lighter weight. Plus, I like the internal power supply.

Other 2nd hand models would include the Roland VK-8M...

this can be a great choice if paired with a Ventilator. There is a sys-x file somewhere that turns off the internal sim in the VK8m, as there is no sim on/off swirch like on the VK-8 keyboard. Now, though, you are at the same price point as the newer modules with an extra piece of gear to hook up.

Support at Diversi is Sterling too.

I screwed mine up loading boot expander hex instead of expander hex.

Tom Tuscon (Tombstone, AZ.) @ Diversi worked feverishly with remote app online where he could guide me through, then said OK ship it here and I'll wipe it clean and install 3.92.

No charge even though I am a Pendejo.

3.92 sounds even better for the low growl of the wooden baffle.

It was OK before as I just adjusted the Rotary Balance, but now you get more of that Uriah Heep/Ken Hensley growl with little effort.

Good module for clean Hammond tones, but really spectacular for the Big Ass Hammond sound I missed for years until now.

Helps having a Hammond guy who KNOWS the sound, telling an alert programmer what's needed...

But I really wish there was a drum kit instead of Pedals.

Some rap drums, old school snare.

You know that bucket full of Bee Bees as it's kicked...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

No charge even though I am a Pendejo.

no, you are not. you are not alone. I have sent mine back once also. I know of two other forum members who sent theirs back but won't mention who they are as I don't think that is right. All we have to do is pay for shipping. Great customer service. :2thu:

Forgot to ask earlier Dave, what are you using to control the HX3?

I'm using a Hammond XK3. Sits overtop the CP4 I bought from you. :thu: Everything in the XK3 has been matched/mapped to the XK3 by brother MG in Deutschland. I chose the XK3 over the SK1 because I wanted pitch/mod wheels for when I'm not playing organ sounds over lighter weight. Plus, I like the internal power supply.

Interesting on the XK3, my friend has one of those but doesn't want to bring it to gigs. Assuming you have the original XK3 and not the "c" model, I know the Leslie simulation basically sucks but aside from that is the sound from the HX3 really that much better than the Hammond?

My friend said something the other day that he regrets selling that CP4. . . :facepalm::D

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Assuming you have the original XK3 and not the "c" model, I know the Leslie simulation basically sucks but aside from that is the sound from the HX3 really that much better than the Hammond?

My XK3 has JA's tonewheel set installed so the raw tones are good. HX3 has it beat on C/V, overdrive, reverb algorithms, and of course leslie sim. Everything in the HX3 is controlled by 1 MIDI cable to the XK3. I don't have to touch the HX3 unless I want. So I'm just playing the Hammond. It just sounds more authentic. ;)

Kind of jumping in on this thread as it has me wondering if it would be possible to use my Kronos to control the HX3's drawbars, percussion and C/V?

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Kind of jumping in on this thread as it has me wondering if it would be possible to use my Kronos to control the HX3's drawbars, percussion and C/V?

you would need to map all the MIDI paramaters yourself. You can download the manual on Diversi's web site, I forgot what the setting is called.

Keyb makes a module ~$1200: http://www.keyborgan.com/products/expander/

HX3 with a drawbar controller ~$1200; I've heard in stereo the Leslie is great but in mono not so great.

GSI Gemini will need a drawbar controller, all tolled probably more than $1200

Hammond XM2/XMc2 probably $900 used will need a Vent, so probably ~$1200.

Voce V5+ used $350 + vent ~$700 in total.

So if you want to keep up with today's technology you're looking at ~$1200. Personally, I'd go with the HX3 and midi drawbar unit. 3.92 software version out of the box appears to need little tweaking and sounds very good in stereo.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

All debatable. Everyone has an idea in their head about what the tone wheels should sound like. The Chorus/Vibrato, the key click, etc. The designers of these "clone" wheels have a sound in their head too. So, you have to find what does it for you. So much of "the sound" we really love to hear has to do with the colour the amplifier and mechanical rotary effect delivered by a Leslie provide in a great room. Amp sims and rotary fx - even the newest best modeled ones are attempting to simulate something really tricky to do. That's why almost any of these clones get kicked up a notch through a real Leslie or where not possible a good sim like the Neo Vent. A few of the newer clones have an amp / rotary sim sound as good as the Vent (according to owners on this board) so also in the ear of the beholder. Try out some options, see what you like and are willing to spend.

Cool product but I doubt it would fit on top of the Kawai MP11, looks too wide.

You're probably correct about the size - but I presume that's why they also sell this.

The little plexiglass box controlled by one set of drawbars:

kzunrlc28uwcewdfkh2d.jpg

Once you get to two modules, I'd rather just have another keyboard like an Electro. Quicker to set up, about the same total weight, and only a little more space in the back of the van. Plus you get the extra keyboard, and it's not hammer action!

Actually, I did replace two modules (laptop and B4D drawbar controller) with an Electro. Never looked back.

And then you have the option of laptop + controller. Some of these software clones are pretty good too. "Better" in some cases than some of the older modules. And then the same laptop runs software synths and sample libraries and fx as well. No need for multiple modules or even keyboards with splits and layers.

Just to throw this out there: If your buddy has an iPad he may want to check out the Galileo app. It's only $10 so really nothing to lose - if he ends up loving it (as many do) it could save him some $$$.

Good call!

Realtime drawbar controls are not so easy with a touchscreen, although some events could be triggered by MIDI from the MP11, and I expect for some songs your friend could just dial in the required settings before hand and recall them as presets.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

And then you have the option of laptop + controller. Some of these software clones are pretty good too. "Better" in some cases than some of the older modules. And then the same laptop runs software synths and sample libraries and fx as well. No need for multiple modules or even keyboards with splits and layers.

Thanks for the recommendation but both myself and my friend are diehard hardware advocates.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The leslie sim in my ears is even better than the mojo's sim, but that is a matter of taste, same as the overall sound.

For use with any non-organ keyboard as a controller you will perhaps be best with this:

http://shop.keyboardpartner.de/epages/13705466.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/13705466/Products/hx3-dbe

Surprised there is no dedicated key click or distortion knob.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Here is a listing of what is currently available in portable organs,

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2751406/Portable_Organ_Review_Post_NAM

Most of what is listed is based on just a few engines, not all offer modules at the moment.

Hammond/Suzuki's

Nord's

Korg's CX-3

The HX3 Expander/Module mentioned in Tim's link post above

GSi's VB3II in the Gemini Module

There was period where organ modules were popular... some have been mentioned already. Other 2nd hand models would include the Roland VK-8M...

What about the Voce V5+? Haven't heard one in ages so I don't know how it stacks up, or if they are even still selling them new. But a used one might fit the bill for the player who doesn't need it for every song.

http://voceinc.com/v5p.html

http://www.voceinc.com/art/v5p.gif

Edit to add: I see Delaware Dave beat me to it!

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived