Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT...Have you ever considered just giving it all up?

Im noticing that people seem to have a need to demonize folks on the other side of whateveer fence is being discussed- possibly to help rationalize/support their views and choices - or whatever. This is very human but unfortunate I think.

What Im talking about is that there is far less differnce between most folks than we perceive.

There are some folks who are starving artists who I respect greatly. There are some in the rat race who could just as easily ended up as starving artists - but who ended up making different choices on the narrowest of margins. ( of course there are a few real rats - these are the rare exceptions I believe_)

I just want to note that there is validity to both paths. NOt all starving artists are flaky, unintelligent and foolish. I know & admire several. NOt all successful business folks in straight jobs are rats who sold their souls.

These are such a limiting views.

Its quite possible for someone to be "in the race" to be happy and to feel rewarded by doing good work in the context of an intense business environment. If that person ends up making some real bucks it doesnt make them evil.

Not everyone is workiing on nuclear weapons if they are successful in a business/rat race context.

I have experienced some alienation between myself and some friends from long ago who are on the other side of the fence.

This is most unfortunate.

Cant we all just get along? :(

Its so easy to reduce real people to characitures we create in our minds.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kendrix...

Very valid...and if I came across as so doing I didn't mean to. My purpose was not to point a finger at those on the other side of the fence. My purpose was solely to point a finger at myself and ask if this is indeed the proper side of the fence for me to be on, and for others mainly to do the same...not at me, but at themselves, and explain their choice.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Kendrix...

Very valid...and if I came across as so doing I didn't mean to. My purpose was not to point a finger at those on the other side of the fence. My purpose was solely to point a finger at myself and ask if this is indeed the proper side of the fence for me to be on, and for others mainly to do the same...not at me, but at themselves, and explain their choice.

Hey Tedster- this was not directed towards you at all.

I was just making a general observation based on some personal experiences that I thought was a relevant point.

Besides, im not sure if you are more of a rat or a starving artist. :D

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Consider that the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence because of the amount of fertilizer required to make it that way.

Yes, last summer business was way down, competition was (and still is) fierce, the long term industry trend was (and still is) very bad and I seriously considered getting out of the RECORDING STUDIO business. (Studio rats have their own kind of race but the pay is typically lower, the hours are much longer and there is no pension plan.) If the trend continued, the business would not be economically feasable in the near future. It was making me very depressed.

Once I got used to the idea that the future of the biz was bleak and the gig wouldn't last forever, I vowed to enjoy every session as if it were my last (because it very well could be) and quit worrying about the future so much. That changed my attitude completely.

Low and behold, business has improved, I am doing some of the best work in my life, and a personal project has just been released to great reviews. I know it won't last, so I am basking in the enjoyment of it instead of my usual deferred gratification approach. I may be unemployed next year, but so what? I may be dead too!

The trade-offs for this moment of happiness are:

Little or no time for family, love interests, normal life schedules or social life. Also very low pay when ALL time spent at work is averaged at an hourly rate.

My main goal for the furure is to stay motivated and enthusiastic about whatever choices I make. Especially the most safe, mundane choices AND the most crazy/seemingly foolish choices.

Make a choice, go at it with full conviction and don't make yourself miserable if it doesn't work out. Move on to the next choice. Take a few chances. The only thing that is garaunteed is that you have a limited amount of time to make those choices.

Sorry for the long post but it touched a nerve.

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Besides, im not sure if you are more of a rat or a starving artist. :D

Actually, I'm more of a starving rat. :D

And Pigknuckles, glad it touched a nerve... :D I was hoping it would have some relevence to a lot of folks.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The Black Cat was lost to fire, and it's still sitting there a mass of blackened ruin with one of those constuction walkways out in front, they always played to loud anyway, I think I lost my hearing there for at least a few days every time I went -
NO NO NO !!! make something else up - hehe I always stuff napkins in my ears at clubs - that's why I can still hear now that I'm getting a bit 'long in the tooth' hehe

Nice Avi Tedster !!! :wave:

Tedster.....

Government Service, it's not a job; you are a piece of Federal Property to be used and abused at their dispose. They tell you when you hire in that you'll be able to afford the things in life that you've always wanted... the new home, new car, a better life. What they fail to tell you is the fact that your employment will become your entire life and suck every last ounce of energy and spare time out of you. You are not entitled to a social life... it's not written in the regulations that Gov Svc is required to allow you to have a life. :D

Originally posted by Ani:

Tedster.....

Government Service, it's not a job; you are a piece of Federal Property to be used and abused at their dispose. They tell you when you hire in that you'll be able to afford the things in life that you've always wanted... the new home, new car, a better life. What they fail to tell you is the fact that your employment will become your entire life and suck every last ounce of energy and spare time out of you. You are not entitled to a social life... it's not written in the regulations that Gov Svc is required to allow you to have a life. :D

Sounds like Lowe's. :freak: And I did manage to pull through today, without quiting, but it's coming soon... :mad:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

the thought of giving it all up seems like the easy way out sometimes. the thought of sucess can be intimidating at times. you got to live your life in the meantime and do whatever you do, just as long as you're progressing. personally ive always been the starving artist. not necessarily trying to "make it big" but just to be content and self-supportive with it. unfortunatley being the starving artist makes me feel like the doormat of society. if unknown and developing artists were given higher regard in the society, it wouldnt be as bad. unfortunatly the vast majority of people these days (non artists) tend to look at someone as being hopeless and foolish if they want to be successful artists but are not "teen pop idols". for me to give up music would be worse than dying. not that music is the only thing, but its vital to the human soul. my problem is dealing with the depression that this causes me, feeling like im at the bottom of the food chain. people dont take you serious until you sell 10 million albums. so im tired of eating the mud off of the masses shoes. finding income is a joke to nowdays. it seems the starving artist is automatically excluded from the job market, unless its a shitty low paying job that no one in their right mind would do. it just fucking sucks i guess. i would be growing and selling some great herb right now, but i dont trust the people in my town to do business with like that. i just injured my back at my last job and am unable to work. the only thing i can say ive got going is music, but even that is not as fun when the balance in your life is gone. i dont know where im going with this, but it seemed like an interesting topic, so i thought id spew myself on here as well. giving up on life would be much easier than giving up music.

Originally posted by Duddits:

I eat my food, I drink my water, I take a nap.

Not a bad life, eh?

:)

Bet you lick your... errr... self, once in a while!

And don't you have to take a... errrr... dump? Sometimes?

All the cats I know do!

:wave:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

BTW...

"Giving it all up and running away"... may not ALWAYS be the worst thing in the world to do...

Ever hear of Paul Gauguin?

(pôl gōgăN´) , 18481903, French painter and woodcut artist, b. Paris; son of a journalist and a French-Peruvian mother.

Early Life

Gauguin was first a sailor, then a successful stockbroker in Paris. In 1874 he began to paint on weekends. By the age of 35, with the encouragement of Camille Pissarro, he devoted himself completely to his art, having given up his position and separated (1885) from his wife and five children.

Allying himself with the Impressionists, he exhibited with them from 1879 to 1886. The next year he sailed for Panama and Martinique.

In protest against the "disease" of civilization, he determined to live primitively, but illness forced him to return to France.

The next years were spent in Paris and Brittany, with a brief but tragic stay with Van Gogh at Arles.

The guy "gave it all up" and went off to follow his "muse"... one of the fathers of modern art. If he had "stayed home", we may never have heard of him!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Archived