Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Minilogue Polyphonic Analog

burningbusch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate this synth.

Why? Because I love this synth.

Not that I desire or need it, although I'd love to tweak it for a while... it's just the right combination of ingredients, that many people were waiting for: A real analog polysynth, with a reasonable array of features, onboard effects, a very good sound, really portable, for very little money.

People have express the desire for such a machine since the introduction of the Monotron series - and now it's finally here. It's a very desirable synth, and I guess it will sell in large quantities.

But it has mini keys.

Repeat: It doesn't make a difference for me personally. But I think it will make a difference for the synth industry.

It's the last strain. A great, presumably successful analog synth, with pro - or at least semi-pro - features, with mini keys. Looks like the so-called Japanese "Big Three" (ha ha) have talked to each other: "Next move to make more money will be to make the synth player community accept mini keys". They are already inflicting on us some terrible keybeds, and now mini keys are becoming the norm.

I'm not going to buy it; with regular-size keys, I would have certainly considered it. But once again, that's not the point. The point is that in the future, we will see more and more *good* synths with mini keys. And people who like to really play their keyboards will be left with the dilemma: To avoid them, or to buy an instrument with an useless keyboard. Or to buy a much more expensive instrument.

I don't like it. I don't like it. I don't like it.

Really nice panel layout... I wish the King Korg had this control panel.

It seems strange to see one control (the pitch slider that is assignable to other things) instead of some variation of 2 "pitch and mod" controls... but the mod amount knob is easily accessible and does at least provide a way to play with mod amount even while the other control is assigned to pitch.

It's good to see that the 8 buttons can be repurposed to be preset recall buttons, but there is no indication in the demo of being able to set up multiple banks. The MicroKorg has 8 buttons, but they can be used to recall different sets of 8 sounds, and I have found that very useful. I hate the idea of having to use a scroll knob to access anything beyond 8 sounds. Even just 4 banks for 32 button-accessible sounds would make a big difference to me.

I would be buy the DSI Mopho SE because it has the better keyboard and it is analog.

This is analog.

I hate this synth.

Why? Because I love this synth.

Yeah... I have no need for this, but that doesn't necessarily mean I won't buy it. But that's the American way, convincing us to buy something we don't need... Congratulations to Korg on a job well done. ;-)

I recently invested in the Roland Boutique JP-08 and this Korg may be better.

The two synths will still each have their own unique characters. Over at gearslutz, they would laugh at the idea of having *one* synth. ;-)

They could had offered a module version without the keyboard...A keyboard assembly is a significant hardware expense of the retail price and I refuse to buy a product that includes a controller that I'll never use.

Pretty much every board includes things you'll never use. If someone who would never play the keys finds that they can get what they want in a less expensive item that doesn't have a keyboard, great. But if this gives you the sounds and controls you want at a price you find reasonable, I think it kind of doesn't matter if you don't use the keys. I mean, what if they had two versions... module for $499 and version with keys at $599... would you consider buying that module for $499? If so, the fact that you also get the keys doesn't really reduce the value of what you get for $499.

Presumably, they feel they'd sell more of them with mini-keys than they would sell with no keys. Though I have to say that the Roland approach of letting you choose whether or not to buy and attach the keys really appeals to me. OTOH, while conceptually I prefer to use a MicroKorg MIDI'd to full-size keys, I ended up finding it convenient to just be able to reach over to it and play something! It has actually ended up getting more use than my keyboard-less modules because of that convenience, even though I yell at myself for that laziness. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

With all those knobs and the oscilloscope, this would be excellent for teaching/learning synthesis. I'm not that put off by the mini keys. I'm evolving on my initial repulsion to the idea. I could always treat it like a module. Though like Scott I would probably find it easier to just adapt and play.

I really have decided not to buy anything this year. I'm saving to put a down on an Indian motorcycle. But next year all bets are off. This actually is really tempting. The price is definitely in the sweet zone.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

$500

[video:youtube]

From the comments people seem to love this thing. Frankly the demo doesn't do much for me. The only cool thing I hear is the price. For analog nothing sounds in your face like a MFB or Analogue Solutions or DSI or Moog or like a Studio Electronics. But... it is $900 cheaper than a Dominion 1.

Maybe it is just Daniel's demo approach.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

chassis-mounted pots

Kind of buried in the specs, but a huge deal to those of us who have dealt with balky board mounted pots in the last several years. Pretty amazing at any price point these days, but especially this one. That's sturdy old school tooling there.

POT stems are metal as well. Hell, Nord went to plastic with the Electro 5. I don't think anything out there surpasses my Voyager in terms of build quality, but what if this little thing has no knob wobble at all. Unheard of anywhere near this price range. Time will tell.

Busch.

For analog nothing sounds in your face like a MFB or Analogue Solutions or DSI or Moog or like a Studio Electronics. But... it is $900 cheaper than a Dominion 1.

Maybe it is just Daniel's demo approach.

Not a fan of the Curtis chip sound. Kinda of completely opposite from the sound of a Studio Electronics Omega 8.

Busch.

That was a poor ambiguous post I made. I meant to say nothing in the demo sounded in your face like I would expect from an analog demo. Maybe it is the post synth audio chain or video compression. Even in the beginning when he was playing with long footages.

What

That was a poor ambiguous post I made. I meant to say nothing in the demo sounded in your face like I would expect from an analog demo. Maybe it is the post synth audio chain or video compression. Even in the beginning when he was playing with long footages.

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie to analog synths.

This thread got me interested and my newbie state might change with this instrument. Right price point to dip my toes and learn, looks well built, etc.

Three (maybe stupid) questions:

- Why isn't there a sine-wave in there?

- Youtube being a digital reproduction, what are the specifics items that you pick up from the videos that tells you it's a digital vs analog synth playing?

- CEB, mind sharing an analog synth demo that really ticks the checkboxes for "in your face analog"?

About $1400-1500 though

Here is an example off the top of my head. I guess what I want to here is some examples with the filters wide open. I want to hear the oscillators. I would like to hear sine and triangle waves in the upper register set to the shortest footage.

This thread got me interested and my newbie state might change with this instrument. Right price point to dip my toes and learn, looks well built, etc.

- Youtube being a digital reproduction, what are the specifics items that you pick up from the videos that tells you it's a digital vs analog synth playing?

A simple sine wave is devoid of harmonics (it's the fundamental). As such, it's a bit boring for synthesis. The filter, which normally masks or unmasks the harmonics of a waveform, has no real affect on a sine wave other than making it louder or softer. The triangle wave is generally used to provide a timbre which can become close to a sine with filtering, yet has enough harmonics to be somewhat interesting when filtered. Also the Minilogue has a SHAPE parameter which can be used to change the shape of the triangle (as well as the other waves), so it's possible it can be SHAPED into a sine (but this is unknown at this point).

Busch.

Now if this was $1000-1500 and had a decent full size 61 key board I might be all over it.

+1

There are already too many 2 and 3 octave analogs out there--to accommodate the plethora of bedroom music "producers," but anyway...

It certainly offers some interesting features though. Maybe if I could sell my Alesis Ion, I'd buy the Minilogue.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The main reason to want to hear sines and triangles ... mainly in VA is to hear how flakey they become in the highest pitches. (aliasing) Do they remain fairly pure or do you hear a bunch of artifacts floating in.

About $1400-1500 though

Here is an example off the top of my head. I guess what I want to here is some examples with the filters wide open. I want to hear the oscillators. I would like to hear sine and triangle waves in the upper register set to the shortest footage.

Goose bumps @ 22min, damn.

I do hear a difference. There is a "richness" to the sound, for lack of the proper vocabulary, in the MFB demo missing from the Minilogue demo.

Thanks CEB for the educational content, much appreciated!

Time for me to give back (didn't watch it yet):

There are guys on this thread who have forgotten more about synthesis than I know. I am just a wore-out old 1970's rock head that liked to play loud. Busch is the man I go to when I need to yell....HELP!

A simple sine wave is devoid of harmonics (it's the fundamental). As such, it's a bit boring for synthesis. The filter, which normally masks or unmasks the harmonics of a waveform, has no real affect on a sine wave other than making it louder or softer. The triangle wave is generally used to provide a timbre which can become close to a sine with filtering, yet has enough harmonics to be somewhat interesting when filtered. Also the Minilogue has a SHAPE parameter which can be used to change the shape of the triangle (as well as the other waves), so it's possible it can be SHAPED into a sine (but this is unknown at this point).

Busch.

Thanks for the info Busch. I'll be educating myself on the synthesis basics over the weekend.

Considering the price, any synth on the market with same or similar set of features you'd suggest we take a look at?

Goose bumps @ 22min, damn.

I do hear a difference. There is a "richness" to the sound, for lack of the proper vocabulary, in the MFB demo missing from the Minilogue demo.

Thanks CEB for the educational content, much appreciated!

Time for me to give back (didn't watch it yet):

There is no one way or best way a synth should sound . It's user preference. For example, many people, myself included, love the Minimoog. It had wonderful imperfections that contributed to its unique sound. It is also much smoother sounding than the MFB in the above video. The Dominion 1 has an aggressive sound, nothing wrong with that if it's what you're after (I think it sounds great too). Many 1980s polyphonic synths used the widely available Curtis chips (DSI still does). To my ear it has a more brash/harsh sound. Others love the sound. I've long loved the discrete polyphonic synths from Studio Electronics (I own an Omega 8). I've never found it to be harsh, always very open and musical.

Example here:

The Kraft demo is an excellent run through of the synth. He talks about the filter on the Minilogue at 9:00.

For a beginning synth I can see nothing better than the Minilogue. You're not sticking a lot of money into it, but what you get is really phenomenal. And understand that this synth is 100% legit. If you have an ounce of creativity, you can make great music with it.

Mine arrives tomorrow. It shipped before it was officially announced.

Busch.

In normal playing like leads and pads it can be difficult to hear significant differences between digital (virtual analogs) and real analogs. The differences become audible when pushed to extremes. I would say this. Many people play digital recreations of Rhodes, Wurlies, Hammonds, Clavinets, etc. and some have never experienced the real deal. Even acoustic pianos, when players have been playing digital for years without experiencing the real thing. The reasons for playing a digital recreation are practicality: cost, maintenance, scarcity, transportability, etc. Those are all legitimate. But when you look at this Minilogue, you have none of that. It makes little sense to me, especially if you're just getting into this, to choose the virtual over the real thing if there's no compelling reason. Experience the real deal. That's just my opinion.

I'll have time with the unit over the weekend. Maybe my opinion will change. I will let you know.

Busch.

Yes that review has given me a bit more GAS on this. Canadian pricing will now be a factor in what my next purchase might be, but this thing is getting higher on the list with every new review I hear.

The practical choice is still a YC, but I'm not always practical.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Thanks for the review and demo, Gino. Very nice.

Interesting omission of any pedal inputs and sample & hold.

Really intrigued/impressed with the Voice Allocation structure. Curious though, does the 4th voice stay active in Mono mode? As in, Voice 1 (Osc), Voice 2 (Sub-Osc of V1), Voice 3 (Sub-Osc of V1), Voice 4 (Independent Osc)? Or...?

Also, cool that the LFO can modify the Osc waveforms.

I agree with Scott that only having 8 patches available with one touch may be a little lame, but definitely not a deal-breaker for me.

Overall, seems pretty effin sweet. But, as Shutoku says, our sagging loonie is gonna bump that price up beyond the expensive toy category. :(:eek:

Archived