Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RE: Trying to determine what Electro 5 to get.

TTOR

Sold a few things so I am comtemplating the purchase of an Electro 5 73 or Electro 5HP due to the new split and layer functions. Just to set the stage, I have a Casio PX-5s and a Yamaha MOXF6. So, which direction do I go, get the HP and replace the PX-5s or get the Electro 5 73 semi weighted, use it along with the PX-5s with the option of Casio and Nord, Nord and MOXF6 or all three. Just throwing it out, not in a rush....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with the versatility of the semi-weighted Electro along with the PX-5s. Electro 5's have gotten a $500.00 price drop along all 3 versions, still a little pricey, but they are built like tanks and sound great. At this point, I am leaning toward the Electro 5 73 and can still use it as a single board for a sub gig and use it along with the other boards and never say I can't cover a gig......Thanks for the input...also have a Nord Electro Rack 2 which could be midied to the MOXF6 and with the Electro 5 73 on top be a pretty good 2 manual organ......

been thinking about picking up an MOXF6 , it's light , the action is

doable and i like the pianos and ep's .then i caught a youtube clip

of someone playing the rhodes in a nord ( split keyboard with a bass

on the left ) it sounded fantastic . does the yamaha sound that good ?

i recently demoed one at a local store but it was through a crappy

little roland amp , so i know it wasn't doing it much justice

Bill, matter of opinion but mine is the Nord NE5 is far superior to the MOXF6 but much more expensive. I am saving for one now. I am assuming you heard a NE5D on the video that sounded so good because you can do splits, layers, etc. I need a lightweight keyboard for small gigs and the NE5 sounds good in all the vintage sounds.

So, which direction do I go, get the HP and replace the PX-5s or get the Electro 5 73 semi weighted, use it along with the PX-5s with the option of Casio and Nord, Nord and MOXF6 or all three.

Comparing

PX5S + Electro SW

to

Electro HP + MOXF6

I'd say option B is sonically the better choice, because most of what you "lose" in the missing PX5S (at least in the most commonly used sounds) can be pretty much duplicated (and often bettered) somewhere in the Electro+MOXF6 combo, whereas the opposite is not true. The big bugaboo here is that you might find that you really prefer the PX5S action the the Electro HP action. But if you're okay with the action, I thing that's the better sounding setup. That's a big If, though. (And I might look into some alternate EPs that could be loaded into the MOXF flash.)

There are also some other non-sonic implications to the rig... Your sounds will sometimes be in the "wrong" board, i.e. you'd want to play the Nord's organ from the MOXF keys, and you might want to play some MOXF EPs from the Nord keys, so there are some possible MIDI complications, esp. since the Nord is very limited in its MIDI functionality. Also, this combo doesn't give you the real drawbars. And because the Nord control panel is deeper, you'd need some more space between your two boards if you have the Nord on bottom.

The 3-piece rig of PX5S, MOXF6, and Electro SW gives you the best of everything.

been thinking about picking up an MOXF6 , it's light , the action is

doable and i like the pianos and ep's .then i caught a youtube clip

of someone playing the rhodes in a nord ( split keyboard with a bass

on the left ) it sounded fantastic . does the yamaha sound that good ?

IMO, both of those boards are good but not among my favorites for EP. But as I mentioned, if you put the flash card into the MOXF, there are some other EPs you could download into it, opening up some additional options there. But it is subjective, and sure, some people are very happy with the Nord and/or Yamaha EPs. Besides being a matter of personal preference, there's also the variable of playing style... i.e. jazzers may tend to like prefer different EP sounds than rockers.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Go for the NE5D-73. It is really lightweight and has the benefit of the drawbars, making it more of a useful clone.

+1 .. You can use a weighted controller for the pianos, but even without, I'd always prefer the SW version instead of the HP for occasional piano playing.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

Going to order the Nord Electro 5 73. That way I will have a weighted board, the PX-5s, a semi-weighted Electro 5 and a synth action MOXF6 which in different configurations cover pretty much any gig I'm doing. And none of the boards weigh more than about 24 lbs each. Thanks for all the input.

Archived