Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips & Tricks

Synthaholic

I treat zippers with parafin. You can also buy zipper wax but a big block of parafin will last a long time.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I buy a new stand I treat all the bolts, screw threads and nuts with vaseline. These parts are usually made from rather cheap steel and constant use wears them out to the point that threads start to strip. Re-apply after about 18 months.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I know I'm definitely gonna get some abuse for sure on this one.

I used to used bondage tape on my speaker stands.

It sticks to itself but isn't sticky and is reusable.

I've found other used to such as needed to widen the diameter of my stools legs because rubber Caps were loose,

I also used it to go around my mic stand to hold the cable . I now use Velcro stuff but it's a good backup.

2 wraps around and it's done and nobody knows the black shinny tape is in actual fact some kinky time tape :)

Go on get some and you never know it might give the Mrs some ideas when she sees it come through the post.

Stuff like this......

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=71

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Another tip I learnt the hard way is lift with your back straight and use your knees to go up !!

Use a thermal label maker or some tipex and write on your plugs what it's for.

A Tom Tom drum case makes a great cable box as it round and all your cables can stack nicely inside with a gap in the middle for a pedal, and it's protected better.

If you stand when playing .... Anti fatigue rubber mats. I didn't see how it would make any difference at all but stand for 2-3 hour gigs in shoes is easier when standing on one ( people buy them for there kitchens to do the washing up, and in factories people who stand for long periods of time stand on them )

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Oh and have a beer after the show not before or during .

I suppose it different for some but I've found I make silly mistakes after a beer or 3.

My number one top tip is an odd one but I swear it works...

If you sing , brush your teeth before going on stage as it helps with dry mouth and smiling and helps settle any nerves by taking 1 minutes to yourself

• 10 months later...

May sound obvious, but it didn't occur to me until recently...

If you transport your keyboard in a case across the backseat of your car, but the back doors don't open very wide (I'm looking at you, Honda!), flip your case around. Much easier.

http://i.imgur.com/RCQ1KSq.jpg

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Cable cuffs are IMO the best invention for gigging musicians since gaffer tape! They're cheap and come in various sizes, so get one for every cable before stuffing it into your gig bag. Then once you're set up, use those same cuffs to organize the cables neatly. :cool:
Based on this post, I ordered a pack of 4. I likes 'em. Thanks for the tip.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Automobile wire loom. Easy to fit all your cables into it,, and have out wherever they need, then only one thing to pull out of your kit to wire everything up in a stack.

Looks far neater as well.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

• 4 weeks later...
More of a tip: make the Musicians Friend Stupid Deal Of The Day your browser's homepage. Since doing so a month ago I've been astonished (and my wallet has been thinner) at some of the deals. I used to just try to remember to go there, but would forget for weeks on end.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Labels. Years ago I invested in a labeller that can do multiple and/or incremental copies, as well as "rotate and repeat" for cable labels. Brother TZ Flexible ID has very good holding power. I label both cable ends the same, with a length and a letter, e.g., "18' D". In addition to making it easy to know what's at the other end, it sets my cables apart from my bandmates, so we all know which ones go back in my cable bag.

I have a DI box that has dull purple lettering on a charcoal case, under dim incandescent bulbs completely unreadable even with my old-guy reading glasses. I labeled the jacks and even the buttons, and now the thing is useful in the field.

I've also labeled my controller keyboard sliders with clonewheel footage, as well as buttons and knobs' other commonly used organ functions.

Different kind o' label: if you do any sound mixing, go to an art supply store and get "Artist's tape" for your scribble strip. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same product as you get from sound reinforcement specialty companies, for about 30% less.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

The lights go black between songs and keys start the next song, but you can't see a thing.

Top tier Kronos has a USB port. For about $9 you can get a gooseneck LED lamp that plugs into a USB port.

Although usually the problem is seeing my lower tier. For Thst, at the grocery store, I picked up a magnetic LED light that I stick to the bottom of the Kronos shining on the lower tier. Press it and it lights up for 10seconds and then shuts off. Just long enough since the stage lights come in once I start playing, and it saves batteries.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Top tier Kronos has a USB port. For about $9 you can get a gooseneck LED lamp that plugs into a USB port.

I highly recommend this one. Uniform light distribution and fairly directional. But a bit bright. Quality build. $10-ish.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Goal-Zero-Luna-USB-LED-Stick-Light-14101/206964530

[video:youtube]

• 9 months later...

I hang these DampRid bags in my car, my gear trailer, and my storage unit. This time of year the humidity is awful and I leave my gear in my car, mostly. I go through quite a few of these hanging bags, changing them every 3 weeks. A great way to keep moisture out of your equipment.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/d5/d549316d-0782-43eb-80b7-e89141750a52_400.jpg

• 5 months later...

I've relied on my 30+ year old, yellowed Rane Note 110 whenever I want definitive info on cable wiring (and, I guess, old keyboard serial numbers). So happy to find it's online:

Rane Note 110

I put different colored tie wraps around each end of cables so I can be sure to keep left and right channels straight.

A four-inch square speaker magnet holds my small Yamaha mixer on top of my keyboard. One layer of duct tape around the magnet prevents scratches.

I added handles to my ZXA1s (you other owners know what the problem with that slippery slit is). Use two self-adhesive tie-wrap tie-downs in the slot to hold two ends of a short steel cable. A section of vinyl tubing over the cable makes a great handle.

A small keyboard bag holds my keyboard platform, two Yorks speaker stands, music stand, and seat. I put a piece of lightweight plastic corrugated presentation board on the bottom of the case for strength.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

On my CP4, I painted the groove on the all black volume knob with White-Out so I can actually see what it is set to.

Adding second carrying handle opposite the regular handle makes carrying the keyboard bag a little easier.

I picked up a short Y adapter. Male end plugs into a single outlet extension cord, one female is made to plug into the back of my keyboard, which holds up the second female, a standard outlet into which I plug my flimsy wall wart for stand lights.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I cut up a 3x5 swatch of shelf liner to use on the flat surface of my Nord Wave - I often leave my phone up there in case I need to read changes out of iReal Pro for infrequently-called tunes.

I use a padded indoor/outdoor carpet to stand on - not only does it provide fatigue relief, it provides a non-slip surface for pedals (have already put the loop side of industrial strength hook/loop on the bottom of them.

Took the advice of an old KB mag tip year ago and spent half a day practicing and timing my setup and tear down, over and over again. Getting the order of things down rote has made both in and out much faster, much more brainless when tired, and much harder to forget stuff at the end of the evening.

What else? Always keep in the gig bag: bottle of meal replacement shake, phone charger, flashlight and Alka Seltzer.

I glued 1 inch wide strips of fatigue mat at each end of the top of my keyboard platform to hold my keyboard, rather than relying on the keyboards feet (which I removed). This also lets me set the keyboard down on its back edge, then rotate it down into place.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I cut up a 3x5 swatch of shelf liner to use on the flat surface of my Nord Wave - I often leave my phone up there in case I need to read changes out of iReal Pro for infrequently-called tunes.
I've been using a cell phone dashboard gel mat for this. Kinda sticks to anything without being truly sticky.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

What else? Always keep in the gig bag: bottle of meal replacement shake, phone charger, flashlight and Alka Seltzer.

You should add Imodium AD to that list. When you need it, you really need it. ;)

Inexpensive way to transport your various poles and stands. They vary in size/price.

$8.95 Christmas tree bag

Stop kidding yourself and buy instrument cases with wheels. If you're a notch above that level, buy a dolly. There are days when I walk around bent over like a comma from having hauled forty-pound keyboards by brute strength years ago. Roadies naturally hated Mellotrons and CS-80s. It makes me like the hell out of my XKeys. :laugh:

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

Spare Midi Cable or two *in your car*. They go south and are easy to lose or leave behind and you don't realize you're short one until it's too late.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I sit down when I play and used to lose the sustain pedal when it crept away. Solution: I attached a cord to the heel end of the pedal and clip the other end of the cord to a hook I added to my bench near the floor.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

I never unpack my keyboard on the floor. I set the keyboard case on my two speakers. On top of that I put the small keyboard case that holds bench, keyboard stand, and speaker stands. Now I work from top to bottom. Unload and set up bench, key stand and speaker stands. Then unload keyboard. Then set up speakers. Its a little thing, but it saves time and effort.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Inexpensive way to transport your various poles and stands. They vary in size/price.

$8.95 Christmas tree bag

Would this bag really hold the weight of 4-5 nested mic stands? Would the zipper last longer than a few gigs? I have gone through so many attempts at this kind of thing!

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Archived