Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Forte SE

Dana.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one makes the weighted action Forte 7 announcement seem a bore.

Why? This new SE seems to be a Forte lite (2GB vs. the Forte 7's 16GB) with an action (TP100LR) that is inferior to the Forte 7 (TP40L). I know which one I would rather have.

This one makes the weighted action Forte 7 announcement seem a bore.

Why? This new SE seems to be a Forte lite (2GB vs. the Forte 7's 16GB) with an action (TP100LR) that is inferior to the Forte 7 (TP40L). I know which one I would rather have.

Oh I agree. I meant in what it does to their lineup. Will they continue all current models or does this simplify the line?

Features:

FlashPlay technology with support for 2GB of Sound ROM

New High Definition Japanese Grand Piano

German D Grand Piano Expansion

KORE 64 Expansion

KSR - Kurzweil String Resonance

Full VAST Editing!

Supports loading most PC3/PC3K/PC3LE/Forte/Artis programs

KB3 tone-wheel organ simulations with 9 sliders as drawbars

128 voices of polyphony

Hundreds of Effects Chains

Fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and aftertouch (Fatar TP100L)

8 zone MIDI controller

Arpeggiator with dedicated On/Off button (1 per Program, up to 8 in Multi Mode)

New 'Step Sequencer' arpeggiator mode

10 instant-access Favorites

3-band EQ with sweepable midrange and on/off switch

Balanced Stereo 1/4" Outs

USB host and device ports

MP3 player audio input jack

From that picture, it looks like they shaved the end pieces really close. So this might be a very short 88k board. I would imagine they went that close on the other side as well, and the wheels are up top.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Full VAST editing ...

When that means full editing of the FX chains too, that´s interesting.

I guess that will be also available for the FORTE and FORTE 7 as a software update,- no ?

I´d prefer a updated FORTE/ FORTE 7 then.

B.t.w., no word about "KBfree-zero polyphony" for the SE model.

We´ll see ...

A.C.

What I was hoping for was 73-76 weighted keys, about 30lbs, wheels on top (if any), and under $2000. I could forgo the KB3 organ. A man can dream can he not?

Forte technology for under $2k? Good luck with that. Also, Kurzweil has never had a fully weighted 76 under 40 pounds.

Am I understanding it correctly, 2GB of sample data vs. 16GB on the original. That's going to take a big bite out of the high-end sounds that are available.

Busch.

That means for me that the new Rhodes and Wurly samples are NOT included.....uurgs.....

When I look at their actual product portfolio....looks somewhat strange.

And they should think about the color of the side panels !!!

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Am I understanding it correctly, 2GB of sample data vs. 16GB on the original. That's going to take a big bite out of the high-end sounds that are available.

Busch.

That means for me that the new Rhodes and Wurly samples are NOT included.....uurgs.....

You think these alone were 14GB size ?

Aren´t clavs in FORTE new samples also ?

I guess there´s truncation of samples everywhere across the new library.

Cannot imagine Kurzweil is so stupid coming up w/ new but truncated APs only and standard PC3, KB3 and some KORE 64 patches,- leaving new EPs in the dust.

The velocity jumps on PC3´s Rhodes sounds is what drives me nuts most.

A.C.

"The velocity jumps on PC3´s Rhodes sounds is what drives me nuts most."

It's not difficult to smooth that over just by going to the Layer page and setting the soft and loud layers to respond across the full velocity range. Make the loud layer much more responsive to velocity and you end up with a smooth, controllable Rhodes.

What drives my nuts is the fact that Kurzweil has yet to release one instrument that has the best of all their technologies combined, their version of a Kronos.

Combine the full Flash-Play technology with full PC3K editing and Flash Ram sample memory and you'll have an unbeatable package. Instead we get all these limited niche products.

The 2 APs are 4 GB each on the Forte, aren't they ?

the other 8 GB for the rest....

I read somewhere that the Rhodes and Wurly have 8 Velocity Layers....

What do you think how much Layers will be left if "everything" is reduced from 16 to 2 GB ??

For me "the icing on the cake" would be an external power supply !

;-)))

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

What drives my nuts is the fact that Kurzweil has yet to release one instrument that has the best of all their technologies combined, their version of a Kronos.

Combine the full Flash-Play technology with full PC3K editing and Flash Ram sample memory and you'll have an unbeatable package. Instead we get all these limited niche products.

I agree, I'd love a Forte with full onboard VAST and FX editing and space for user samples, and RIFFs and ARPs and audio-rate LFOs and a ribbon input would be nice while we're on the subject, but I get the impression that Kurzweil has nowhere near the engineering resources of Korg or Roland. They just can't make such a product happen that quickly. I also get the impression that there are some upgrades to the underlying VAST system too (which is 20 years old, remember) which isn't going to speed things up.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

It's not difficult to smooth that over just by going to the Layer page and setting the soft and loud layers to respond across the full velocity range. Make the loud layer much more responsive to velocity and you end up with a smooth, controllable Rhodes.

Thank you for the hint, will try when time available.

But for all the manufacturers out there:

Today and in (digital) instruments delivering 1000+ presets, the bread & butter sounds should work out of the box !

I spend enough time squeezing the right synth sounds out of the KURZ VA engine and create setups for performance.

Time is money, I´m not a hobby programmer.

Already from the beginning I was also pi##ed because of the program levels being all over the place.

I get ear fatigue from (too) long programming sessions and sometimes wonder what I did after my ears are recovered next day.

Anyway ...

What drives my nuts is the fact that Kurzweil has yet to release one instrument that has the best of all their technologies combined,... Instead we get all these limited niche products.

Yep, I´m probably retired when the next KURZ flagship will be not only released but also be bug free and reliable.

For the PC3 that needed years after the release.

KURZ had sold me a FORTE already when VAST and FX chains were fully editable from the front panel and the PB mechanism would be more precise as also constructed from better parts.

I´m tired from software editors,- to be true, I´m tired from most software technology.

I prefer reliable and fully working hardware and need a reasonable balance between hardware and software products.

I also expect software product´s quality and reliability to be on par w/ that level I´d wish the hardware were too.

Sometimes it is, but most it´s not.

Hardware and software should save my lifetime and not only cut costs of the manufacturer.

When paying 4 grand for something, I expect it amortizing within a year or such, so after I learned the machine´s basics (if I have to do at all), it should make money.

No intention tinkering w/ bugs, advertised but missing features and/or sloppy factory programming.

A.C.

For me "the icing on the cake" would be an external power supply !

;-)))

I couldn´t care less about the feature reduction in that low budget machine.

One of the best accessories for me was always the "220V AC to MIDI" adapter.

One of my roadies build it in the 80s because he hated the rig of the other (2nd) keyboardplayer which he had to set up too.

It looked like a line lump,- but I doubt he ever used it.

A.C.

It would appear to me that the Forte SE is targeted to meet a price point. The Forte is $4000US, the Forte7 (I guess) is around $3500US, so I would speculate that the Forte SE is going to come in somewhere at or below the $3000US mark. This would give them a stage piano that is higher spec than the Artis, but more affordable than the original Forte. Between the Forte, Artis and SP lines, they would have a spectrum of price ranges covered for the non-workstation stage instruments.

The preliminary description shows the German and Japanese grands as part of the sound set, so I wonder if the the 2G Flash Play ROM is in addition to the pianos, and includes other stuff, like reduced EPs. Also, the TP100, while less desirable than the TP40, shaves weight and cost off the instrument.

It also says something about step sequencer capability in the arpeggiator now.

I guess we will have to wait to find out.

The preliminary description shows the German and Japanese grands as part of the sound set, so I wonder if the the 2G Flash Play ROM is in addition to the piano

Remember there is a smaller (128 mb, I believe) version of the German grand already in the Artis, so that could cover that. 2 GB would still go a long way in providing a version of the Japanese grand and hopefully other Forte sounds like EPs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 months later...

Oh my gosh I want it :)

What's with the 2GB of Flash compared to the 16GB on the forte and forte 7 though?

They don't seem to have a sound list (objects chart) for the Forte SE yet.

That width is perfect.

I'm really really happy with my Nord stage 2 and it does every well and pianos very well but my heart will always belong to Kurzweil.

I need to know a price and when it will be available and have a plan.

Looks nicer than the other kurzweils I think.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

Just read this post, that's sucks about the keys not being the fatar 40l :(.

What else has the same keys as the the forte SE then?

I'll need some reviews but if the price is right it's a toss up between this and the forte 7.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.