Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Best" Software Rhodes?

analogholic

OK, so being very impressed with the demos of the Acousticsamples Wurlie mentioned in that other thread, I wanted to know what the "best" software Rhodes is out there?

I wasn´t totally blown away from what I heard from Acousticsamples regarding their Rhodes(es).

So what are your favorites?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both Scarbee, Lounge Lizard, the Mainstage Rhodes that comes with the software and the Pianoteq Rhody add-on.

I like them on this particular order

IMHO the Scarbee is the most realistic of them all and the Lounge Lizard comes second. They both use little CPU and are ready to gig.

The MainStage Rhodes is not bad at all regarding its zero price (it comes with the software as a freebie).

The Pianoteq add-on needs a lot of tweaking IMO.

As i heard from some forumites proposals on the Wurlie thread, the Sonic Couture Rhodes was excellent but quite heavy and (i think) needs an iLok on the older macs

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My top 2 are the Scarbee Rhodes and Lounge Lizard. I agree that the MainStage Rhodes will do in a pinch (with a little tweaking to taste). I haven't tried Velvet but understand it's good too. SampleTank 3 has some fairly good Rhodes and Wurlies as well. Haven't tried the Sonic Couture either.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I still like the Scarbee Rhodes with Overloud's VKFX (vintage keyboard effects) plugin. I bought them back when Scarbee sold them as a bundle.

The Acoustic Samples Rhodes didn't do much for me either. i've been tempted to get the one from Sonic Couture (since I have several of their libraries), but have always stopped short.

The Rhodes in MainStage is good, and considering all the other instruments to get for 40 bucks, it's a great deal.

I don't keep up with every Rhodes VI release, but IMO the combination of Scarbee and VKFX is very versatile - together they can produce a wide range of Rhodes sounds. I rarely see VKFX mentioned, but it's one of my all-time favorite plug-ins. A lot of thought went into it (check out the manual) and it sounds great. It's convenient to have bread-and-butter keyboard effects in a single rack. You only power on the ones you want, to conserve processing power, and you can drag and drop to change the effects order. My favorite effects are the chorus, phaser (which, IIRC, models three different hardware phasers including the Mu-Tron), and preamp, which has a great auto-pan.

One of my favorite Rhodes sounds is Chick Corea's Mark V, which Yamaha sampled and released for the Motif. I wish they'd release that as a plug-in, though I doubt it'll happen anytime soon, if ever.

By putting "best" in quotes, I suspect you realize that this is ultimately a matter of personal taste. And of course the Mark I and Mark II sound different, etc.

HTH

Bob K

My web site

I find Lounge Lizard and Main Stage Rhodes to sound near identical in their base tones (or tines in this case). The difference is LL is laid out with all the settings and fx you'd be looking to apply in a familiar interface. You have to dig a little more in Main Stage/Logic and get involved with the mixer and inserts to do the same things. Not a big deal, just the difference between the two.

Scarbee is sampled Rhodes and as such will be a very close representation of the source instrument. Same applies here, you'll need to apply your own fx.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm a fan of the Mainstage Rhodes, I haven't tried Lounge Lizard or Scarbee but I have Addictive Keys. I prefer the Mainstage Rhodes. I haven't found a software Wurly I really like yet so I'm wondering what others opinion others opinion on that if its not straying too much from the OP's original question.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I use a few of them including Busch's. Like I do with the piano libraries, I tend to "cast" them according to the song. Lately I've been reaching first for the latest Gospel Musicians one, followed by Lounge Lizard and the Purgatory Creek choices. I have also on occasion combined elements of more than one at a time.

I'm surprised the thread has gone this far with no one mentioning MrRay73 Mark II.

I love all the above but am really digging this one from Gospel Musicians...

give it a run if you haven't... the ilok registration is easy as it is just an app NO DONGLE

You know, I'm a satisfied Scarbee user; and I typically only use Rhodes sounds a few times per year; but that video seriously made me want to buy Neo-Soul Keys 4.0!

I had read about problems with the earlier versions, but they seem to have ironed out the kinks now and added more cool features. It looks like a real labor of love; and of course, this product appears to have the most ongoing development of the bunch. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I have both Scarbee, Lounge Lizard, the Mainstage Rhodes that comes with the software and the Pianoteq Rhody add-on.

I like them on this particular order

IMHO the Scarbee is the most realistic of them all and the Lounge Lizard comes second. They both use little CPU and are ready to gig.

The MainStage Rhodes is not bad at all regarding its zero price (it comes with the software as a freebie).

The Pianoteq add-on needs a lot of tweaking IMO.

I don't have Mainstage but own the other three mentioned in this post. I agree with brother Yannis on all points.

:nopity:

I'd suggest that rather than you asking us what our favourite software Rhodes is, you should tell us what your favourite real Rhodes is? If it's a Mark V, but someone likes the sound of a Mark I Dyno'ed, you're probably not going to agree, right?

So... yeah. :)

For those keeping score at home with no access to either of the above, here you go:

Mk V:

[video:youtube]

Mk I Dyno'ed (at 2:30 or so...):

[video:youtube]

I'm surprised the thread has gone this far with no one mentioning MrRay73 Mark II.

It's good, no doubt, but I don't think anyone would say it's the "best." I would use it over Lounge Lizard and Pianoteq, neither of which I find convincing. Sampling just seems to be better for Rhodes than modeling.

D-Ban, you feed my appetite for more Rhodes VST's (although i already have the Electro 3 and three different libraries)

Does it ever stop?

And my bank account is broke...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I was in heaven with Scarbee's Rhodes and Wurlitzer with Gigastudio, but when I went to Kontakt they lost their sound quality.

Got Neo Soul and liked it for a while, but too much emphasis on clacky release sounds, etc.

PianoTeq Pro 5 has not only an excellent Upright you can edit per pedal per note, but the Wurlitzer is really excellent, the Rhodes is the best I've tried since I need that low bellish sound with lower velocities and the high velocity bark Corea/Auger did so well.

You can't get a good Herbie sound though using their weak internal FX.

You need a nice Melda MultiBandPanner or something to throw the sound left to right. Generic FX just don't do it though.

PianoTeq was really crappy for the first few years but Modartt has just upped their game now to the Point where sampled Piano can't compete.

Full Harmonic control on every note and pedal will get you smiling in no time.

Sostenuto too.

Often wondered why sample developers never saw that 3rd pedal down there.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I was in heaven with Scarbee's Rhodes and Wurlitzer with Gigastudio, but when I went to Kontakt they lost their sound quality.

Hey Hardware, you seem like a no nonsense kind of guy, I like reading your posts. Any chance you could explain to me why this would be? I use Scarbee in Kontact but never had Gigastudio.
:nopity:

Got Neo Soul and liked it for a while, but too much emphasis on clacky release sounds, etc.

It's so editable though. I never found that to be a problem.

Yeah, it's the editability that makes me want to shell out $200 for something I'd only use a few times a year.

I like your idea about combining the Neo Soul Keys with other libraries, Steve. I'm guessing it's the noises they sampled that would especially work well with other libraries to help them sound more realistic.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

My favorites are Busch's MK V (and MK1 for the Kronos), the Scarbee, Red Tape 88 and a special mention for an older favorite, the Dusty Mark II.

I just bought a Muse Receptor running Kontakt and so far Busch's MK V is getting the most use. I just played a Paul Simon tribute tonight and I did all the 70's Richard Tee stuff with the Purgatory MK V with my own phaser and panning settings. It really nails the vibe.

Busch: Any plans to release that great MK 1 library on Kontakt? I have it on my Kronos X but don't take that board to gigs too much.

Anyways, I just bought the Red Tape 88 and it has some great raw samples, but I haven't quite gotten there with it yet with the Muse and Kontakt. Same with Scarbee; needs a little tweaking IMO but the samples sound great.

When I owned a Motif XS7 I tried the Chick Corea bank and the Neo Soul and neither really grabbed me all that much - although I didn't spend a lot of time with them to tweak them which I'm sure would have helped immensely.

I've had the Precision Sound Dusty Mark II for several years - it has a real nice vibe but not as many velocity layers as some of the newer libraries (5 layers + 3 release layers). I run it in the Receptor and also have imported it into Kronos and Motif formats very easily. Well worth checking out though especially with their 50% off summer sale right now. No I don't work for them but just got their newsletter the other day and that's a killer deal...

http://store.precisionsound.net/shop/dustyelectricmk2/

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

D-Ban, you just had to post that link to the Premier Sound Factory Rhodes. Stop it! Way too tempting!

:cry:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Any chance you could explain to me why this would be? I use Scarbee in Kontact but never had Gigastudio.

Rockwells/Conexant Endless Streaming is my guess.

I bought so many NI Scabbey Road Drums, Slate 1/2/3/4/5/6 Superior 1/2, and can take Larry Seyers LSAD and add nothing, just start playing drum tracks and it smokes the other drum libs out there.

Was it recorded better...?

Doubtful, so this leaves me to believe the streaming algos were superior.

The Maple Floor Toms piss of my drummer they're so perfectly replicated.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived