Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Best shoes you ever owned

I bought this pair of shoes about five years ago and I am not exaggerating... it's all I wear. I am pathetic in the shoe department. Always have been. Find something comfortable, that's all I wear. Rather silly. I wear them every single day except going to a funeral. Which might be once a year.

These shoes, I bought at a department store. I told the guy "I wear tennis shoes and jeans all the time but I don't want tennis shoes, I want something a little nicer but just as comfortable."

"Ah hah, I have just the thing. These are made in Europe, all the doctors wear them and they are on their feet all day. They are expensive but worth it."

They are solid black, made in Hungary of leather by Joseph Seibel. Ever heard of these? I just realized as I looked down, damn, I'm still wearing these shoes and they have never failed and still going strong. I'll bet they have another five years in them. The sole is damn near indestructable, too. Hard rubber but they feel great.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard of 'em? I sell them for a living. Yes, they are great shoes. I'd put them above 90% of the brands available. I sell the other ten percent, too, which is where my favorite brands lie: Birkenstock, Mephisto, Naot. The holy trinity for happy feet.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I have been wearing a COMPANY BOUGHT pair of BROOKS running shoes for the past 2 years. In the last year I had an orthodics insert added which is why these are the only shoes I wear and play drums with ! I'll be getting another pair soon, but these have plenty of wear left.

Dan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783809705&category=1287

I've got a pair of Vans that I'm wearing the bottom off of. Before that it was K-Mart Route 66 skate shoes. I wear out a pair of shoes every year.

The Route 66's have been good shoes, lasting quite a long time, but the lining usually wears a hole at the heel. Not the Vans! I've had them for about 6 or 7 months now, and the inside of them still looks almost new! Of course, I pamper these shoes. They're still white where they're supposed to be, which is usually the first thing to go.

I like the flat, non-contour bottom of skate shoes, because they don't seem to wear out fast.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Jode:

Heard of 'em? I sell them for a living. Yes, they are great shoes. I'd put them above 90% of the brands available. I sell the other ten percent, too, which is where my favorite brands lie: Birkenstock, Mephisto, Naot. The holy trinity for happy feet.

That's pretty cool you sell them. These I have, I think they are in metric sizes. I wear 10b in USA size. What is closest to my size? These shoes are actually a tad too large. There are many numbers in here, I can't tell what the size is.

Those brands you think are better, what type of store sells them?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I have a pair of vans that i wear every day (like livemusic does). THey're pretty comfortable, and they're wearing nicely. I've had them for about 2 years now and i could probably get another 2 out of them (i'm like that with shoes, for some reason). The only thing(s) about them that i don't like, is that they seem to come untied about 150 times a day, and when they get wet, the leather smells funny... like nasty dog breath or something.

However, i recall a thread many many months ago that Jode started, talking about birkenstocks and mephistos, and the sage advice of "you only get 2 feet".

I've been meaning to try to find a place that sells mephistos, or non-sandal type birkenstocks. And if they work as advertised (i doubt jode would lie to us, but this is the intarweb after all) i would probably direct my dad to a pair of them.

My dad has flat feet and bone spurs, and most shoes (excluding his 12year-old birkenstock sandals) make his feet hurt after a while. He's an active sort of guy and is on his feet a lot. Being active is good (exercise is always good) but he's nearing 60 and i don't want him to start slowing down if he doesn't have to. ;)

The irony of it is that one of his first jobs as a teenager was in a shoe shop that made specialized shoes. Mainly WWII vets who's toes had been frostbitten off, or had a foot that got blown to piss by grenade shrapnel or something. He was essentially making and selling shoes to custom fit irregular feet and take injuries into consideration.

But the problem is the one that many people bring up: there are no "shoe stores" where i live, it's all strip malls, megamarts and mcmansions.

As a side note, i have a hard time buying shoes because my left foot is roughly a half-size larger than my right :eek:

Of course, Jode will probably say he sees that type of stuff all the time.

Though it seems to be easier these days. My feet haven't changed sizes, so i think that (cheap) department store shoes are just made more sloppy than they were 10 years ago. Every once in a while, though, i have to choose which foot to make a compromise to, or occasionally (yeah, i know i'm going to hell for this) switch sizes in the box and hope i don't get busted doing it again.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Clarks are being good to my feet now. I don't understand it, as these have no arch support at all, but I can wear them for long period without my feet feeling tired. And I never wake up the next day with really sore, tight, heels (I forget what that's called, but it happens to me). I used to wear birks, but the arches are just too high and hard. I still have a pair, but don't wear them when I'll be walking a lot.
Rubber Lizard Studio

I've had my black pair of Vans for about a year now, and they still feel as awesome as when I first got them. The only thing I have a gripe about is that there are a few holes in the foot cushioning fabric. But still, more comfortable than any other shoe I have ever worn.

Originally posted by bluestrat:

I've got a pair of Vans that I'm wearing the bottom off of.

Oh man...I remember Vans! I used to wear them when I was in my teens. They were the only shoes that grip the pedals on my bike just right.

I used to go and order them from the local bike shop. It was so cool, you could custom order whatever color combinations you wanted. Loved 'em!

These days I'm devoted to my New Balance 587's. Nice shoes. American made too!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I bought 3 pair of Echo shoes in Denmark 1988--still wear them ..it takes at least 10 years for me to go through a pair of shoes ... or clothes for that matter.....worked in the clothing retail buisness for years...Never understood how people damaged their clothes >> My suits are all 10 years old...How do people wear a pair of shoes out in a year?? I walk 3 miles a day to the gym... does one have to deliberately step on shards of glass ,etc or ? I have guitar chords from 20 years ago......

Live - For a European comfort shoe like a Josef Seibel, "a tad too large" is a perfect fit. For a US 10, a Euro size 44 should do it, perhaps a 43 - the conversion is not an exact science. Americans wear their shoes too tight, too narrow, too everything, and we have the worst feet in the world to show for it. Fact: 60% of the foot surgery in the world is performed on Americans, even though we walk less in a day than anyone else on earth. Fact: 70% of the surgery done on Americans' feet is performed on feet that would otherwise have been healthy if not for the lousy shoes we wear. Which means, if you're doing the math, that unsupportive, ill-fitting shoes account for more foot problems than all natural causes combined, times two. A proper Euro fit is: very roomy in the toebox, roomy enough to "play the piano with your toes," as it says in the training manual; roomy almost to the point of slipping in the heel (very awkward for Americans who have been told all their lives that shoes should fit like a vise in the heel); and snug only through the middle of the shoe, from roughly the ball of the foot to the back of the arch. A properly fitted shoe, which most Americans have never owned, will allow your feet to bend and flex and roll and generally behave like feet want to.

Phaeton - you should look for a store that bills itself as a comfort shoe store. If there is a Nordstrom anywhere nearby, they will carry the Euro comfort brands. If Dad has heelspurs, he will want to go with an orthotic shoe, which has true ergonomic support, rather than a comfort shoe, which merely has cushion and padding. I recommend, as I said, Mephisto, Birkenstock, and Naot, with Ecco running close behind. Since these shoes are typically high-dollar items, you will usually only find them at a store that offers - gasp - customer service! :idea: If you can't locate a store in your area, or if you just want some advice, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to answer any questions. I'd be even happier to ship you a pair. ;)

Two bits of shopping advice for anyone looking for true long-term comfort, especially if you have foot problems: 1)Don't even waste your time with athletic shoes of any kind. They may feel soft and cushy, but soft and cushy is the exact opposite of support. True support is weight distribution and proper alignment, not squishiness. Athletic shoes are great for using with custom orthotics, but even then they are almost always inferior to a well-made, well-fitted orthotic shoe. 2)Do not waste your time or money on these three brands: Rockport, SAS, or Easy Spirit. I make a fine living taking people out of these shoes every day. If you have healthy feet, they might feel good, but with a foot problem, or even without one but for long periods of walking and standing, these brands really won't help you anymore than a $15 pair from Walmart. They're all made by the same Chinese slave labor, anyway.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I can't specify shoes...but, in terms of total foot comfort...buy yourselves some Carhartt socks. Yup, Carhartt's...the company that makes the insulated brown work clothes. Buy a pair of their insulated socks. Your feet will go "Ahhhhhh"... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If you're looking for boots, not shoes, Red Wing is it. I work for a public utility and work in a variety of conditions, which last week included snow, slush and ice. We're required to wear boots with a steel shank discinct heel notch for pole climbing I have a pair of Red Wing winter boots that have lasted fifteen to twenty years, and just bought its sucessor model, which now includes Gore Tex. I wore these babies thru a ten hour work day in a snow storm - my feet never got cold or even damp. That day may have been worth the $200 price. In warm weather, I wear their Pecos model (over $100 now). They are a cowboy style, but not as pointy or shiny.

Jode is so right about getting your feet properly measured. The Red Wing store insisted that I measure, and you know what, I had been buying shoes a size too small for who knows how long.

I have a pair of black Adidas all leather that I found a few years ago and just wish they would tool that model again. I'd buy several pairs to get thru a couple of decades. By then I may be in hospital slippers.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

On size: shoes come in sizes, but feet don't. Regardless of the number, letter, whatever on the end of the box, every shoe made in the world comes in only two sizes: the right size and the wrong size. (Some brands only come in the wrong size, but I digress.) The number on the box is merely a suggestion. Don't buy a size - buy a fit.

PS - I forgot to mention Finn COmfort as a great orthotic shoe. If anyone cares. :wave:

Les Paul

Depends on what I'm doing, but....

Chubasco sandals for goofing around

Borne and Clarks - super comfortable

Kenneth Cole

Dingo! That's all I wore when I was a kid. My mom was none too happy with what I used them for, though - I stopped my Big Wheel with the heels, and my bike with the toes.

Les Paul

Another sucker here for the Vans. I just lace them up, double-knot them and go - just slip the feet in and out. I'm not as fond of the styles out now as those of a few years ago; I really liked the plain blue leather.

For the athletic stuff (running, rugby, soccer) I use Adidas running shoes and Adidas cleats. Hard to find anything in size 12 or 13 :( .

Archived