Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Which posting environment would you prefer?

Fred_C

"Hi. My name's Eric and I'm a thread tangenter." ;)

Sometimes a thread can be as simple as the OP's post followed by one great response.

What's the fun in that?

Everyone else could chime in with essentially the same response, but then you're just :deadhorse: . Adding a little tangent helps break the monotony, IMO. (BTW, is a Rickenbacker 360/12 really the chimiest guitar out there?)

Besides, we all have our own unique life experiences to draw on. One person's wet fart is another person's class is another person's daily life (re: fluid dynamics). That's part of the attraction here, isn't it? (No, not wet farts, the diverse experiences.) If we keep those nuggets to ourselves for fear of derailing a thread what do we have left? (Did I just say "nuggets" and "farts" in the same paragraph? smh)

Coincidentally I wandered over to the KB forum last night and read a thread that innocently sought advice for setting up a backyard concert that evolved into a major pissing match over extension cords. (Not to be confused with "extented chords". See what I did there? ;) ) You see, wire comes in different gauges ...

I guess my point is we could promote more of a "corporate boardroom" atmosphere than the current "buds drinking suds" one. But I say we stick it to the man! Who's with me?! Certainly that'd look better when someone reads what we wrote 50 years from now. (That's for the sake of "posterity", not "prosperity". Thanks Google, you really are my friend!) While I may be suggesting above that more structure may provoke more conflict I have absolutely nothing to back that up with.

Oh look, a squirrel!

One problem with not sticking to a thread that I encounter is missing out on a tangential discussion. This may come as a surprise, but I (and probably others) actually skip threads based on their subjects.

How are we supposed to know that a thread about Norwegian wood (not the song, the actual wood) contains the world's greatest advice on setting up a bridge? Or the chord charts to every Beatles song ever written? Or some disgusting joke that, we hate to admit, made us laugh? (Heheh. He said "wood". Heheheh.)

That's the greater crime in my mind. (Book him, Danno!)

So, I say if a tangent has merit on its own it should start a new thread. If a thread is merely derailed, well ... maybe it's time for another round. (I'm in! Who's buying?)

Disclaimer: if this post did not make you think of things other than the OP's topic you have way more focus than me!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, like, I'm thinkin' about picking up this cool fuzz pedal, perported to make one sound more like Wes Montgomery than any other fuzz ever before or since. What's more, it'll work with acoustic instruments- wirelessly- even those with no pickups or mics... True bypass? It doesn't even need a footswitch, responding to your Rockingness instantaneously. It's called the Klonkerer and they'll pay you to take one for the team.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Eric,

Your post is:

1. Insightful

2. Great FUN to read

3. Your grasp of "Stream of Consciousness" would make James Joyce envious.

Thanks and Best Regards.

If you play cool, you are cool.

So, like, I'm thinkin' about picking up this cool fuzz pedal, perported to make one sound more like Wes Montgomery than any other fuzz ever before or since. What's more, it'll work with acoustic instruments- wirelessly- even those with no pickups or mics... True bypass? It doesn't even need a footswitch, responding to your Rockingness instantaneously. It's called the Klonkerer and they'll pay you to take one for the team.

Yeah, I tried the new Montgomery Fuzz Wah that just picks up on the vibrations of any guitar like the snap on tuners and makes a whole new world of jazz guitar out of anything on the market...very cool :2thu:

+1 very entertaining Eric and Caevan LOL! :2thu:

Take care, Larryz

This topic has been under discussion in the What's in a Name thread. However, it seems to me that it deserves a thread of its own.

QUESTION: What kind of posting environment would you prefer? One in which adherence to the original subject is strictly adhered to and any deviation or expansion is discouraged?

Or one that embraces a more fluid, open-ended, dynamic in which the thread may be changed or expanded upon based upon the natural ebb and flow of conversation and a free exchange of ideas?

You can read my input as well as the input from SEHPicker and Scott Frazer in the other thread.

Let's discuss and decide which environment we prefer.

Let us know what you think.

One that embraces a more fluid, open-ended, dynamic in which the thread may be changed or expanded upon based upon the natural ebb and flow of conversation and a free exchange of ideas?

Montgomery Wards LOL! :laugh:

ps. TBA: the price is going to be kind of heavy man... :cool:

As back in the day we used to call Montgomery Ward's "MONKEY Ward's", and given Wes' ethniticity, some may make the wrong perception, so I'll disavow the preceding entry. ;)

And anyway, as I go back to when the ONLY "fuzz tone" available(and at least in SOME idiot's eyes) was to punch HOLES in the paper diaphram of your speaker horn, ANY price is likely worth it! But you have to figure a way to set your limits.

Like: If the price leaves you confused as to whether you should reach for your WALLET, or reach for the SKY, then maybe you should pass for now. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Montgomery Wards LOL! :laugh:

ps. TBA: the price is going to be kind of heavy man... :cool:

As back in the day we used to call Montgomery Ward's "MONKEY Ward's", and given Wes' ethniticity, some may make the wrong perception, so I'll disavow the preceding entry. ;)

Whitefang

"In 1946, the Grolier Club, a society of bibliophiles in New York City, exhibited the Wards catalog alongside Webster's Dictionary as one of 100 American books chosen for their influence on life and culture of the people. The brand name of the store became embedded in the popular American consciousness and was often called by the nickname Monkey Ward, both affectionately and derisively." Wiki

The nickname had no racial implication in it's history nor was it used or intended in my post. My apologies to anyone who might share in your perception.

ps. I love and admire Wes and the only correlation I was making was with the name "Montgomery." :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived