Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Love & Happiness" registration

Forgive me if this is a repeat. I've searched here and across the inter webs. I struggle to get this registration correct, and would love some informed input.

I've found lots of "answers" out there, including one from Keyboard magazine and one from the early days of this forum, but none really seems quite right. Everyone wants to gospel the tone with the upper harmonics. I think they're being misdirected by Let's Stay Together.

What is Hodges' registration for the introduction of this great tune? I can't seem to get it right. But I'm betting many of you can and do.

Can you help end my abuse of this poor defenseless song? Here is the youtube, though we all know it by now. Money shot is at 0:35:

[video:youtube]

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally use the first stop, maybe peppering an ever-so-tasteful amount of the last stop.

You can sub the 3rd stop for the 1st stop if you want to take it an octave higher.

This Keyboard Magazine article says "88 0000 220"

http://www.keyboardmag.com/lessons/1251/rock-organ-drawbar-tricks-and-licks/29792

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I generally use the first stop, maybe peppering an ever-so-tasteful amount of the last stop.

You can sub the 3rd stop for the 1st stop if you want to take it an octave higher.

This Keyboard Magazine article says "88 0000 220"

http://www.keyboardmag.com/lessons/1251/rock-organ-drawbar-tricks-and-licks/29792

Yep, those are my two default attempts: 800000002 and 008400000. But neither has ever sounded quite right to me. (I've seen that Keyboard Mag suggestion before, but I don't find it anywhere close.)

BUT:

I think it's the Ab preset on the lower manual, 008030000, C3

Damn, that might be it. Not sure about Chorus up front, but the 5th does what my 4th has not. Gonna play with it a bit.

Grateful for the responses. Thank you both.

www.joshweinstein.com

EQ, micing, and mixing can make a bit of difference in the sound - for example, it's not unheard of to just use the top rotor on a recording, or with just a bit of the lower rotor mixed in to let the organ sit better in the mix. Nailing it could prove difficult, but getting pretty damn close is certainly possible.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

EQ, micing, and mixing can make a bit of difference in the sound - for example, it's not unheard of to just use the top rotor on a recording, or with just a bit of the lower rotor mixed in to let the organ sit better in the mix. Nailing it could prove difficult, but getting pretty damn close is certainly possible.

Understood and agreed. Thanks again.

And Hodges is the truth.

The. Truth.

www.joshweinstein.com

Thanks, Moe. That's consistent with Kanker and Steve Nathan's suggestion of the Alfonso "A-Flat" Verdi preset, and not too far from Dreamchilde's (and my own) version either. I'll consider the thread answered, even though no one has suggested ring modulation.

Thanks again.

www.joshweinstein.com

Ring Modulation? Now that you mention it...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Ooh, I got to take the bait -

speaking of Ring Modulation - what are some useful examples?

I ask as a guy only recently exploring the B3 world (with my Roland VR09), previously I was always a Farfisa/synth kinda guy. Decided about a year ago I needed to broaden my horizons, not getting any younger.

The VR09 has a Ring Modulation effect option, but outside of satisfying the old Devo/electro punk fan in me, I can't see what it could be useful for. Maybe some nasty prog rock soloing, but what else?

Archived