Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mediocrity

Other examples of can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-why mediocrity are the recent bunch of endorser videos on the Nord website. I intended to post this in a separate thread with the title "Mediocre musicians play Nord".

Keyboardist playing a pad (and lead that is not discernible in the sequenced mix) but making a heavily concentrating face, while the camera is carefully positioned so that the drummer is not visible behind the singer:

[video:youtube]

And another band that doesn't know how to look (clothes, faces etc.), with the bassist hiding behind the horns:

I like both of these more than toto.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other examples of can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-why mediocrity are the recent bunch of endorser videos on the Nord website. I intended to post this in a separate thread with the title "Mediocre musicians play Nord".

Keyboardist playing a pad (and lead that is not discernible in the sequenced mix) but making a heavily concentrating face, while the camera is carefully positioned so that the drummer is not visible behind the singer:

And another band that doesn't know how to look (clothes, faces etc.), with the bassist hiding behind the horns:

I like both of these more than toto.

While I wouldn't go that far, I certainly don't get the disdain. If I close my eyes both performances sound essentially decent. They're not examples of mastery, but I wouldn't choose them as examples of mediocrity, either. Sure, you can diss their sense of fashion or the faces the keyboard player in the first video makes. But personally I don't give a rat's ass about any of that.

There is musical IQ I believe as there is mathematical, linguistic, athletic, spatial (like Einstein) ....the 9 intelligences that MIT scientists are using to help them in Robotics.

I firmly believe some people have more musical IQ than others. I know people that are more musical than myself naturally. I consider myself somewhere in the middle of the field.

Just as some people just instinctively know how to throw a javelin . . .

But...hard work can make people not born with high innate aptitudes surpass them...many times but there is a limit as in athletics.

I would guess only 3 percent of musicians are really really up there... but that's just my guess!

Mozart...Bach, Bird, whoever - for sure!

The 9 intelligences:

9 Intels:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

TThere is musical IQ I believe as there is mathematical, linguistic, athletic, spaceial (like Einstein) ....the 9 intelligences that MIT scientists are using to help them in Robotihere is musical IQ I believe as there is mathematical, linguistic, athletic, spaceial (like Einstein

I firmly believe some people have more musical IQ than others. I know people that are more musical than myself naturally. I consider myself somewhere in the middle of the field.

Just as some people just instinctively know how to throw a javelin . . .

But...hard work can make people not born with high innate aptitudes surpass them...many times but there is a limit as in athletics.

I would guess only 3 percent of musicians are really really up there... but that's just my guess!

Mozart...Bach, Bird, whoever - for sure!

Right On this:

There is musical IQ I believe as there is mathematical, linguistic, athletic, spaceial (like Einstein) ....the 9 intelligences that MIT scientists are using to help them in Robotihere is musical IQ I believe as there is mathematical, linguistic, athletic, spaceial (like Einstein

I firmly believe some people have more musical IQ than others. I know people that are more musical than myself naturally. I consider myself somewhere in the middle of the field

You took the words right out of my mouth!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I don't think style or age or instrument matter...It is what it is! I was in Sam Ash in the 70's and this 9 year old kid was just killing it on a clav in the store, the staff, everyone was just knocked out. He obviously had no formal lessons . . .

I have heard there are people who can't play an instrument, when you play or sing them a melody they can sing it back retro-grade inversion...from a fairly reputable source so....with that you can figure out where you sit if knowing were your ranking in the herd is important to you ...

I don't think about it anymore, I try to just get pleasure and enjoy myself and hopefully others dig it...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I don't think style or age or instrument matter...It is what it is! I was in Sam Ash in the 70's and this 9 year old kid was just knocking everyone out playing clav in the store and the staff..

I have heard there are people who can't play an instrument, when you play or sing them a melody they can sing it back retro-grade inversion...from a fairly reputable source so....with that you can figure out where you sit if knowing were your ranking in the herd is important to you ...

I don't think about it anymore, I try to just get pleasure and enjoy myself and hopefully others dig it...

You are becoming my Main Man two more thumbs up.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Whoa Frankie Sugarchile Robinson... he is precious and great. Thanks for the treat.

Give me Tove Lo (the top vid) all day - simply Beautiful.

A Gorgeous singer at the front always helps big time ;-), sweeet keyboards :). (only complaint is, the bass is too loud)

Almost nothing going on in the lower vid , and yes it was a pain.

Brett

Give me Tove Lo (the top vid) all day - simply Beautiful.

A Gorgeous singer at the front always helps big time ;-), sweeet keyboards :). (only complaint is, the bass is too loud)

Almost nothing going on in the lower vid , and yes it was a pain.

Brett

I had never heard of either of them, just wanted to defend talent

Nothing wrong with being in that meaty part of the bell curve. The mediocre are the clapper that rings that bell.

Remember this the next time you're in the hospital.

Nothing wrong with being in that meaty part of the bell curve. The mediocre are the clapper that rings that bell.

ROTFLMA off

Might find the lower vid band is possibly more talented - I don't know about that (yet) , but Great presentation and a Beautiful voice Kills every time - Awesomeness.

Brett

Her voice isn't that great at all.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Henry Ford came to this realization that "Genius is experience... It is the fruit of long experience in many lives... The discovery of Reincarnation put my mind at ease...

Genius certainly is related to this term talent. All Henry is saying is stopping fretting about talent etc, and have fun with what you love. You have all the time you need. Joseph Campbell said 'follow you bliss'.. that is the bottom line. Play, practice, share your music with joy.

I agree with that. Music is a positive thing to do, it's just when you try to be disingenuous or become a poser with it. Certain people have better aptitudes for other things are not honest with themselves as musicians.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I've actually starting going to my cat's vet when I'm sick -- much better treatment.. and I am now hair-ball and worm free! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-love021.gif

this thread is what happens when there's no gear to talk about.

And here I am, thinking it's the music we make with that gear that really matters. Silly me. :D

are we making music in this thread yet?

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

this thread is what happens when there's no gear to talk about.

And here I am, thinking it's the music we make with that gear that really matters. Silly me. :D

are we making music in this thread yet?

When I was "coming up", my teachers taught me two things

what sounds good and most significantly, what doesn't. Back then, terms like Discernment, discriminating were used as a way to develop taste..- your choices in music ought to be impeccable - not mediocre ones.

These newer generations are taught that it doesn't matter.. or "nothing butness".. a virulent strain of nihilism.

I am not a friend of mediocrity.

And in that spirit, I readily apologize for my substandard verbiage here, though not the essence.

Might find the lower vid band is possibly more talented - I don't know about that (yet) , but Great presentation and a Beautiful voice Kills every time - Awesomeness.

Brett

Her voice isn't that great at all.

Why don't you sing it then? , put it up here and show us how it's done :D ....

Brett