Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Beginning keyboard ear training app/software/web

Redknife

I am looking for advice on beginner ear training iOS app, software, or web based app.

Background- my daughter is a 10yo participating in piano lessons and I'm trying to initiate ear training. My goal is to give her the skills to learn and perform by ear and eventually improvise, and play with others "on the fly". I have college level training (jazz primary) and have gigged on and off for 30 yr. I could teach this directly with exercises but daughters don't necessarily like to listen to Daddy (shocking), and I have some health problems at the moment precluding that level of help. I thought a computer based product may work as a starter but have no idea what is available or if it is any good.

Any experience or suggestions?

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've dabbled with a few iOS ones, but haven't stuck with any long enough to share judgement. Lots of them have free versions so you could try them.

I also played with EarMaster at one time on my Mac (Pc version also available). They also have a free trial.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks Joe. I'll check that Earmaster and peruse others. Turns out most I see have a free trial like you said so I'll just have to put in a little time. I checked out one before posting and it played the wrong note (i.e. click on the answer "g" and it plays "d"). Relative pitch counter training!

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

I like NailThatNote for iOS.

Ear training for notes, intervals, melodies, chords, and scales. You can try a free "Lite" version that offers plenty of chord types, etc., to keep you occupied for a long while.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

knowing a note by name and grabbing a note on an instrument is two different things. yes, that sounds lame, but when you grab notes you hear are you thinking about the note names or just reacting to what you hear. I remember when I used to play constantly my pitch just naturally improved to the point that I didn't even think about the technical aspect of it.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Go direct, skip the intermediary solution, when I was a kid I played by ear. Such fun.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I've just started using "goodEar" for iOS this month. It is just interval training where it profides the first note on the keyboard and plays two intervals, then you try to pick out the three notes; keep pecking until you get them right for the next chord. It is kind of fun, but not as easy and mindless as some other games, so it does take some self-discipline to keep at it a few minutes every day. I've notice just some slight improvement at guessing chord changes while learning new songs. Hoping to see some huge improvements if I just stay with it.

turn on some tunes, make sure you're in tune, go for it.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Lenmus Phonascus seems very interesting, might just be what you're looking for. No personal experience with it though; I've used a similar tool called Solfege which is linux-only. It's a useful aid; as long as you understand that playing by ear and identifying intervals consciously are two different things.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

Archived