Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If the CP4 is too much for a home keyboard...

kelp

I really like the CP4 but am only using it for home practice. I was thinking about the possibility of selling it and using the proceeds to get two boards - one just for home practice (piano sound, piano action, built-in speakers) and one for ultra-light gigging (broader sound set, like a VR-09).

I haven't played anything else yet, but am I going to find a piano slab under $700-$800 that even comes close to the CP4's action? Or is the CP4's higher price tag due to its additional features and sounds?

I know, I know... I'll have to try one first. I guess I'm just looking for the most likely candidates.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, the digital pianos worth considering in the $1,000 or less range include the Casio Privia line, and the Kawai ES100. I'm not impressed with Yamahas offerings in that range, and I haven't played enough Korgs or Rolands to have a strong opinion. Some people love them.

I don't own a CP4, but I've played one through a good set of monitors. It felt and sounded fantastic, and if I were accustomed to practicing on one, there's no way I'd be satisfied with a downgrade. If I were you, I'd keep it, and start setting aside money for an additional gigging board, if that's what you need. If you sell it, you may find yourself unsatisfied with the compromises you'll have to make on a less expensive instrument.

I have a 2 Casio's: a PX3, and a PX5S, and I gig with both. They are excellent for the price, and I appreciate them on those terms. I've always said that while there are better keyboards than Casio, you have to spend about double the money for the next step up in quality. The CP4 is just excellent, period. Its sound (especially acoustic piano) and action address what I consider the shortcomings of both the Privia line, and the lower end Yamahas.

Before selling, make sure you do a rigorous comparison with the boards you're considering, notice the differences in sound and feel, and make sure you're really OK with those compromises, and that you're not letting the money issue cloud your judgement.

Casio PX-5S, Casio PX-3, Hammond SK1, Roland XP-10, Classic MIDI Works AGO MIDI Pedalboard, Mainstage 3, Hauptwerk, Conn 8D

Previously owned: Yamaha DGX 230, Alesis Q88, Novation Impulse 61

+1

If you're happy with the CP4, I think it very likely that you'll be disappointed by whatever you buy to 'replace' it at home, given your budget doesn't extend to something comparable in a home package, such as a high end Clavinova. Also, you're going to lose a considerable amount of money on what you paid for the CP4.

Also, bear in mind that the requirements of a gigging musician can change at the flick of a switch. If you keep the CP4, you've still got a top ranking stage piano to go out with if you get the call tomorrow for a gig that demands it.

It makes more sense, as a keys player, to build up an arsenal that can cover any eventuality, rather than just chopping and changing according to immediate demands.

So yep, my advice is by all means add the Roland, but save up the dosh to do so rather than jettisoning a perfectly good instrument.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

agree wiith the pros above. you'll take a hit selling the cp4, and end up with two lesser boards that together aren't worth your CP4. a better strategy issaving up and looking for a used vr09 (if thats what you wanted) ... if thats an option for you.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Me three.

I gigged a CP4 + VR09 rig the other night, it was a best-of-both worlds situation.

For ultra light gigging, the VR09 is fine, but I find it very difficult to play expressive front-and-center piano parts on it. I would love to take my VR09 to piano-only gigs, but it just would not cut it.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

We have a real piano. Upright. Old and beloved. But practicing on it, shall we say, commands the household's attention. ;)

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

Keep the CP4 and save up for a VR09. The two would make a great combination, and you can always use the VR09 alone for rehearsals and short gigs or jams, or whenever you don't need a great piano at a gig.

I use a CP4 and a Nord Electro 2, and they make a great rig. Last week I played one of those 4-band outdoor gigs; we were third. The fourth act was a pro band (I'm a hobbyist) and the keyboard player had a Kronos and a Motif, but he preferred the sound of my rig for pianos and organ. (Of course, my rig wouldn't do the horn section stuff he did, mostly on the Kronos.)

Another CP4 thread.....can't we have a sticky thread? There are at least three others here now. People need to look at what they are doing.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Another CP4 thread.....can't we have a sticky thread? There are at least three others here now. People need to look at what they are doing.
Sure. We should also have a single thread for Hammond organs, for Nord Electros, etc.

Frankly, I think it makes sense to handle a specific question in its own thread. A lot gets lost in those mile-long threads, though they have their virtues too.

Archived