Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PX 5S vs PX350?

icarusi

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is also a PX-160 just out.
Seems to be identical to the PX-150 but with line-out. The Casio webmaster got so bored he included the fact on the 'features' but omitted it off the 'specs'. No din-midi on either though.

Keyboard action is the same. The piano SAMPLES are the same, but the PX-5S, DSP and editing functions makes them sound very different. What is your main use?

Probably looking for a 'popular' and easily portable implementation of 88 weighted keys, with some sound onboard sounds and flexible i/o at a good price point.

I see Steve Weingart is now using the Casio boards

[video:youtube]C1iwgSpdhqM

Seems to be identical to the PX-150 but with line-out. The Casio webmaster got so bored he included the fact on the 'features' but omitted it off the 'specs'. No din-midi on either though.
From the MusicMeese 2015 thread:

Some info here:

http://www.casio-music.com/euro/instruments/digital-pianos/privia/px-160/

Appears to have improved speaker system and Line Out jacks.

Cheers,

James

x

MUCH improved speaker system, line outs, headphone jacks on FRONT, new stereo strings samples, new EPs and probably something else I'm forgetting. :hitt:

Steve Weingart has been a Casio artist for a while now.

But thanks for playing! :wave:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Keyboard action is the same. The piano SAMPLES are the same, but the PX-5S, DSP and editing functions makes them sound very different. What is your main use?

Probably looking for a 'popular' and easily portable implementation of 88 weighted keys, with some sound onboard sounds and flexible i/o at a good price point.

Both will give you the same portability, keyboard action and I/O hardware. The PX-5S is much more advanced in the way of onboard sounds and controller functions. Also, being able to install new sounds on the PX-5S is a huge plus -- the sound library at the Casio forums is getting huge.

:rolleyes:

There is quite a bit different from the PX-150. The copy I wrote and the specs I checked has all the correct information including specs:

http://casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-160

Steve Weingart is now touring with an all Casio rig. 2 PX-5S and 1 XW-P1. Lots of videos of their performance at Musikmesse are now up on Youtube.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

There is quite a bit different from the PX-150. The copy I wrote and the specs I checked has all the correct information including specs:

http://casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_privia/PX-160

Steve Weingart is now touring with an all Casio rig. 2 PX-5S and 1 XW-P1. Lots of videos of their performance at Musikmesse are now up on Youtube.

This is what I was looking at:- http://www.casio-music.com/euro/instruments/digital-pianos/privia/px-160/

Still no DIN midi so not usable by me. Even the Volca Keys has DIN midi.

While PX-350 and PX-5S may have the same action (I'll take others' word on that), they feel different to the hands due to the key surface on the PX-5S. When I played it at first, I wasn't sure I liked it, because it was obviously artificial.

Then I moved over to another keyboard and immediately noted how hot and humid it was where I was playing! Back to the PX-5S and the keys feel dry and smooth. Wow. I didn't end up getting a PX-5S, but whenever we have outdoor summer gigs here in NC I'll be wishing I had. Huge difference. As it is, I keep a small bottle of baby powder in my gig bag. I doubt I'd ever use it with the PX-5S.

While PX-350 and PX-5S may have the same action (I'll take others' word on that), they feel different to the hands due to the key surface on the PX-5S. When I played it at first, I wasn't sure I liked it, because it was obviously artificial.
Both of them have exactly the same action including the texture of the keys. All of the new PX-X50 (5th generation) models have this.

Both of them have exactly the same action including the texture of the keys. All of the new PX-X50 (5th generation) models have this.
Thanks for the correction! Wikipedia says:

##PX-5S - A stage ready variation of the PX-350, the PX-5S adds tone editing and controller capabilities and a new Ivory Touch keybed. The internal speakers and accompaniment were removed to a facilitate the new features. The PX-5S weighs under 25 lbs.
Is it incorrect?

##PX-5S - A stage ready variation of the PX-350, the PX-5S adds tone editing and controller capabilities and a new Ivory Touch keybed. The internal speakers and accompaniment were removed to a facilitate the new features. The PX-5S weighs under 25 lbs.
Is it incorrect?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZBg7qLzU8

:facepalm:

Is it incorrect?

The PX-350 definitely has the "Ivory Touch" keyboard - which I actually like, but which feels nothing like a real ivory keyboard.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Just curious, but why do Casio leave off MIDI ports on some of the range and not others?

It does not seem to make much of a difference to their pricing structure, and I cannot see how the pair of ports (and accompanying electronics) could add that much cost.

So why not simply have it on all of them?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Is it incorrect?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZBg7qLzU8

:facepalm:

Thanks, very funny.

Prices seem similar now for those two, here (UK). I'm more likely to find the 350 than the 5S to try, so are the keybeds and piano sounds identical on the two?

As has been said the PX-5S piano sounds can be totally altered from the stock sounds. I do not know where you are in the UK but a large store in Romford sometimes has them in stock (I hope that is not against posting guidelines.). Unless you need built-in speakers I would definitely go for the PX-5S.

Gear4Music in York sell them, and will give you 28 days approval. Not only that, they will price match.

I will not break forum rules by telling you how much discount they gave me when I bought mine!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Gear4Music in York sell them, and will give you 28 days approval. Not only that, they will price match.

I will not break forum rules by telling you how much discount they gave me when I bought mine!

Got my XW-P1 from them but it was a sell-off price too good to miss. Unlike the XW-P1, the PX-5S wasn't offered at a USA comparative price anywhere (even inc. taxes) until now.

One perpetual beef I have about the various demo videos is that none of that stands up in a band situation.

You could have the most nuanced and sensitive piano demo, and all of that blows up when it comes to stage warfare.

More valuable to me? How does this keyboard sound in a live electric band mix?

My two centavos.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

One perpetual beef I have about the various demo videos is that none of that stands up in a band situation.

You could have the most nuanced and sensitive piano demo, and all of that blows up when it comes to stage warfare.

More valuable to me? How does this keyboard sound in a live electric band mix?

My two centavos.

Here you go. ;)

[video:youtube]

Archived