Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice please! Electricity/equipment protection

Phil UK

Hi all - after a bit of advice if possible. I'm used to rehearsing in...rehearsing studios where I'm always pretty confident of safety etc but I played tonight in a band's makeshift unit/basement and I got a bit worried about voltage spikes etc with regards to equipment. What should I be plugging my board (Nord) into to ensure nothing gets damaged? The PA cut out a couple of times tonight and I don't want to damage my gear if it plays up again. Cheers!
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look up APC UPS

Not sure which one and don't understand voltages and stuff but you can get them with batteries that basically charge and then you run your keyboard from that and any power spikes won't affect the electricity going to the keyboard as it constantly running off the battery that's being charged.

Also if the power goes out it will give you a few minutes to power down safely.

I need to buy one of these really but lately been spending my dosh on upgrading other things.

Just note that they are very heavy but should definitely look after your Nord

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

+100000 for the Furman... I use the Ar 1215.... Indispensible

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Don't think Furman is known in the UK.

I have had an APC rack mount SmartUPS SC450 (450VA is the rating - output 280W) cost about £130.

You need to add up the number of watts required by your gear (check the manual or manufacturer website) and choose a UPS with a higher value than the total.

If you only have one or two keyboards something like this will do:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE400-UK-Interface-Power-Saving-Back-UPS/dp/B000GL19BW/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1428499770&sr=1-7&keywords=UPS

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

I just use a simple, cheap circuit breaker. Something like this: LINK

If there is a problem it trips out. Basic, but effective, lightweight & cheap. I make sure all of my stuff goes through it everywhere I play.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I like the look of the apc ups from Amazon. Do some research though as I'm sure when I was looking for one last year I came across a review that said you can't turn the bleeping off when the battery runs low or something, but the higher voltage ones you can adjust so it doesn't bleep loudly.

Remember that the battery will need replacing every couple of years for £30 or so. But you can use it at home when your not using it to protect your TV etc.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

There's been a long thread about surge and interrupt protection IIRC. I think Mark Schmieder was the most rigorous in suggesting actually safe solutions for the general problems at hand, and I think most common computer solutions aren't necessarily up to most noble general protection tasks you might run into.

Of course it depends on which all equipment you run and some basic protection like over voltage protected socket arrays you might already use.

T.V.

I like the look of the apc ups from Amazon. Do some research though as I'm sure when I was looking for one last year I came across a review that said you can't turn the bleeping off when the battery runs low or something, but the higher voltage ones you can adjust so it doesn't bleep loudly.

Remember that the battery will need replacing every couple of years for £30 or so. But you can use it at home when your not using it to protect your TV etc.

LOL! They only bleep when the power goes down and you are running on battery - you have time then to do an orderly power down.

PS I am a qualified electronics engineer.........

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Steve: does the Furman permit " time then to do an orderly power down"?

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived