Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

StaffPad

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks interesting, too bad my recently acquired Acer $180 Win tablet does not have pen support.

Well it would have to be the best executed April Fools joke yet, Staffpad put up a website , its in the Windows store, and its April 2 where I am at the time I checked.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

If it isn't an April Fools joke, then this is on my short list - once it, or something like it, is available for iOS.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The Microsoft Surface products have a Wacom-made layer in the screen which allows this more sophisticated pen use. On the Surface Pro it's 1024 levels of pressure. With the new Surface 3 ($499/$599) it's not quite as sophisticated but still appears to be compatible with this product. The iPads don't have this and would have to use third party bluetooth pen, but those can't do what the Surface pens can there's no standards on the iPad for doing this.

I truly hate doing notation with the mouse and MIDI keyboard input for me has allows been frustrating.

Busch.

This looks very cool, which makes the score:

iPad 573,219 vs Surface Pro 1

:)

Truth be told the Surface Pro 3 can run Omnisphere, NI Komplete 10, Diva, Ivory, VILabs, VB3, Protools 11, Cubase, Ableton Live and on and on.

What are the must-have killer synths/music programs on the iPad again? I forget. I mainly use mine for Netflix.

Busch.

This looks very cool, which makes the score:

iPad 573,219 vs Surface Pro 1

:)

Truth be told the Surface Pro 3 can run Omnisphere, NI Komplete 10, Diva, Ivory, VILabs, VB3, Protools 11, Cubase, Ableton Live and on and on.

What are the must-have killer synths/music programs on the iPad again? I forget. I mainly use mine for Netflix.

Busch.

Well, I guess if you want to run those music apps on your Surface. I use my iMac and Macbook for those.

OTOH, this app looks very handy, and looks like something I *would* like to do on my iPad.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I had not heard of Touch Notation or Staff Pad. At first glance, these programs look exactly like the kind of thing I've been looking for. That is, I've been hoping for a notation program I can work on easily during my commute on the train.

These programs may also finally push me towards getting a tablet, which I have not had a pressing need for.

I am not relishing the idea of doing a lengthy comparison between all the devices, but I guess it is inevitable.

The Kawai app is not available on the U.S. App Store. The App Store app graciously offered to switch to the Japanese store, and I was able to pull it up. But then I found out that my iTunes account won't work on that store. Looks to be about $10 U.S. I'd definitely give it a try.

Yeah, it's a shame it's only Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro or 4th gen i3,i5,7 with touch screen and active pen. At first it made me wonder if they are propped up by Microsoft... But that's the hardware you need to work this way it seems.

The only other issue I see is that in this incarnation it has 9 reviews on the MS software store, and it's getting 3 out of 5 stars. So what is not quite working yet? Or what bugs need fixing, or what features is it lacking? Hard to say for now.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

keybdwizrd, Jon Sherry, the international version of the 'Touch Notation' app is awaiting approval from Apple, and should be available next week, if not before.

My apologies if it appears I'm hijacking the thread - I'd happily create a new thread about this app when it's released, however forum rules prevent me doing so.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Yeah, it's a shame it's only Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro or 4th gen i3,i5,7 with touch screen and active pen.

Don't you mean its a shame Microsoft has chosen to lead the market and release tablets with touch screens that support active pens?

Maybe the developer considered that an active pen was necessary to enable the fine detail the app supports - a level of detail that is not possible with the tip of a finger on a 10'' screen.

And as a Win 8.1 app it will also work on any laptop or desktop screen that is released in the future that supports an active pen. At $50 that would make Staffpad a compelling alternative to Finale or Sibelius.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Really intriguing. I wonder if this will spur Sibelius into making a tablet version, perhaps for iOS?

Would definitely want to try out this app before I bought though. I don't know much about the windows surface tablets, but from what people have said in this thread I guess they are viable rig-worthy products?

RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3

Glowing review on The Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/7/8359109/surface-pen-best-app-yet

"I tried really really hard to do it for the iPad when it came out five years ago," explains David William Hearn, co-founder of StaffPad, in an interview with The Verge. "I just realized that if youre going to do this then its only going to be a bit of a toy." Recognition mistakes, performance issues, and just the mix of adjusting for touch-only forced Hearn to look elsewhere. While there are Bluetooth pens, capacitive styluses, and other options for the iPad, Hearn has investigated them and found accuracy issues or just simple lag that kills the experience. "I love the iPad, but its just not the right device for this app."

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Yeah, it's a shame it's only Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro or 4th gen i3,i5,7 with touch screen and active pen. At first it made me wonder if they are propped up by Microsoft... But that's the hardware you need to work this way it seems.

The only other issue I see is that in this incarnation it has 9 reviews on the MS software store, and it's getting 3 out of 5 stars. So what is not quite working yet? Or what bugs need fixing, or what features is it lacking? Hard to say for now.

Yeah, it seems that the developer thinks that Surface Pro is the best hardware platform for this app.

For me, I am very intrigued by this app, I love the idea of inputting with a pen, it seems the most 'natural' way of working.

What features is it lacking? I did some reading on the StaffPad site; one thing missing is 1st and 2nd endings. So it seems they are not courting the jazz/pop leadsheet market yet. That's a showstopper for me. I hope they support lead sheets eventually.

The most serious omission for me is the lack of chord symbols, though apparently those are at the top of the list for the next version. But even with the current version, it seems you should be able to write them in by hand and have them appear as "unrecognized scribbles," which could be a functional workaround.

If someone had traveled back in time and shown me the promo video when I was in college, desperately trying to finish my senior project on a buggy, cracked copy of MOTU Composer, I think I would have wept.

Another excellent review at Sibelius Blog. I'm very excited.

I've been intrigued by the Surface range for a while, and been unhappy about my current portable notation solution (Sibelius on a netbook) for much longer. As that blog post mentions, even when you factor in the cost of the hardware, it's still favourably comparable with a new Sibelius license. A Surface tablet and this app are on the cards for me as soon as funds allow.

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

Yeah, it's a shame it's only Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro or 4th gen i3,i5,7 with touch screen and active pen.

Don't you mean its a shame Microsoft has chosen to lead the market and release tablets with touch screens that support active pens?

Maybe the developer considered that an active pen was necessary to enable the fine detail the app supports - a level of detail that is not possible with the tip of a finger on a 10'' screen.

And as a Win 8.1 app it will also work on any laptop or desktop screen that is released in the future that supports an active pen. At $50 that would make Staffpad a compelling alternative to Finale or Sibelius.

Good points.... On the other hand there are active stylus pens for iOS.

DotPen

Lynctec Apex Stylus - not compatible iPad Air 2 for some reason

Joy Factory Pinpoint Precision Active Stylus

Cregle iPen 2

I'm going to guess MS made a deal with the dev. Exchange of some support for exclusivity for a certain amount of time. For the moment v1 is missing some important things (no first and second endings? Is that true?). It will be a while before it can compete with finale/sibelius. Everyone is waiting for Steinberg's new notation application. And of course in browser there's the Noteflight and the Noteflight APIs. But stylus input is intriguing. Can only hope that others are working on this too. The Staffpad devs will have to get this running on different platforms if they are serious about competing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Another excellent review at Sibelius Blog. I'm very excited.

I've been intrigued by the Surface range for a while, and been unhappy about my current portable notation solution (Sibelius on a netbook) for much longer. As that blog post mentions, even when you factor in the cost of the hardware, it's still favourably comparable with a new Sibelius license. A Surface tablet and this app are on the cards for me as soon as funds allow.

As I just wrote in another thread, I am definitely getting this software, and it is enough reason to push me into buying a Surface. The latest Surface is available in May. My only decision is whether to get that Surface or spend some more for the Surface Pro. I'm leaning towards just the Surface since my needs are simple and I am not intending this to replace a laptop.

Archived