Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electro 3 61 - Do I or Don't I?...

iluvchiclets

Ugh - I'm all twisted up inside. I happened to go to my local music store, and they have a NORD Electro 3 with Nord soft case for $999. I always wanted to have one of these, at one time had the rack mount Electro, and I understand they have done great improvements since then.

Do I go for it? I bought the VR09 less than a year ago, so it would have to go...can't afford to have both...

Is the Electro 4 that much better an organ engine?

Pity about the memory allocation on the Electro 3. I figure it will be at least 8 years before the Electro 4 comes down in this price range, but who know what will be out by then!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the imminent release of the Electro 5, Electro 4 prices are sure to drop. You should be able to pick an Electro 4 up used to somewhere close to that price within a few months.

VR-09 is very nice for what it does. Based on everything, I'd pick a VR-09 over an Electro 3, but would pick an Electro 4 over a VR-09.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Hmmm... thanks, that's something to think about...

I rarely see any Electros going for under $1200 here in Ontario. That would be nice to see a E4 at that price...

I have been spending a lot of time with my VR09, and I realized after playing VB3 and Native Instruments B4 that they might sound more like what I want. The Nord I always felt was steller, and the fact I don't need to use a laptop is a real plus.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Well, the price is good, if eBay is any indication. Are you mostly looking for organ sounds, and maybe a few AP/EP voices and samples? If that's your need, it'd be a good decision. It should last you for a while, as long as you stick to the same basic sounds.

Had mine for quite a while. Really liked playing it, until I upgraded to the 4D. Real drawbars are nice. Incrementally better organ sound and leslie sim, but nothing compelling. More memory for AP/EP voices as well as samples. I think the piano engine is better, too, but can't be 100% sure.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thanks cphollis,

They also have an N4 73 for 1899.00. I am going to look at the differences on the NORD site, but probably going way in over my head!

The prices for the Nord 4 models are coming down fast, now that the 5 has been announced. The 5 is a serious upgrade, so ... if you're going to go that direction, hold off until the 5 is shipping in volume, and you'll probably see prices come down another 10% or more, especially for used.

Funny to see older Nord Electro 2's still going for US$1100 on ebay. Makes the Nord 3 you're considering look very good indeed. Guess that goes to show their strong resale value over the years.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I'm still using my Electro 2, and I get guys (guitar players, mostly :P ) who say things like, "I love the sound of that 'little red organ'" and so forth. Us keyboard snobs may think the NE2 is far from state of the art for organ, but lots of people can't tell the difference. The NE3 would be a step up from that. How does the NE3 organ compare to the VR-09? I don't know.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The Electro 4 is a marginal improvement over the 3.

Slightly improved organ engine (which was already quite good anyway), more memory and physical drawbars (on the 61 keys only).

The big step forward will be the forthcoming Electro 5, which apart from triple memory and improved user interface (bigger screen) is finally able to do splits and layers (all Electros up to now were monotimbral, only one sound at a time)

But apart from the organ engine, the sounds between the Electro 3, 4 and 5 are always the same, remember that all sounds in a Nord are freely interchangeable, as long as you have memory available you can always upload and download any sound from the huge Nord libraries of pianos and samples.

So, it goes down to your needs.

If you are not a maniac of the latest organ emulation, don't need to do split-layers, and only need a few selected acoustic/electric pianos and a few samples (strings and pads) the Electro 3 will be just as good as the 4 and 5.

While these criteria may look quite limiting, they include in fact 90% of the needs of the average cover band keyboardist... and that's why Electros sell so well!

I really like the way you summarized everything, Spider76.

I would love to hold out for a E4, but something tells me I won't see a board like this at $999 very often... Hence why I'm all mixed up - it's like I have to strike while it's available.

Maybe that's a sign right there? If I have to rush into a decision, it may be a bad idea. Obviously if money wasn't an issue, I would have it right now.

Going to spend my morning before work playing Organimation, B's Knees, Vintage Organs, B4II, and VB3 to see if I really need this Electro. I should be able to get a good sound out of one of them! :laugh:

Nord organs aren't my thing personally but I have heard a lot of guys play original Electros, NE2s and a few NE3s on double bill shows and the Nords always seem to sound great through FOH. It is a great keyboard.

Retorical question .... How does the E3 feel to your hands compared to the VR-09? That is what would probably drive me unless I really needed the synth section on the VR-09.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I would love to hold out for a E4, but something tells me I won't see a board like this at $999 very often...

Obviously if money wasn't an issue, I would have it right now.

Going to spend my morning before work playing Organimation, B's Knees, Vintage Organs, B4II, and VB3 to see if I really need this Electro. I should be able to get a good sound out of one of them! :laugh:

as you only mention organs, I should assume that this is your first (only?) priority?

In that case, you may find other options, most notably the Hammond XK-1C and Studiologic Numa Organ 2. They are organ-only emulators (no other sounds) that you should be able to find for about 1300-1400$.

As a general-purpose board, however, I think an Electro 3 at 1 grand is definitely a great deal. The closest alternative could be a Hammond SK1, but I don't think you will ever find it so cheap.

As been mentioned, Nords have great resale value - in case you need it, you will probably be able to resell the Electro3 at about the same price.

However, if money is an issue and you already have other (software) options, the safest way is to stick with what you got... even if we all know how hard it is to resist a GAS attack!

;)

That seems like a good price to me, albeit I haven't been looking recently. Especially if you get a return period.

I personally don't like the action that much on those, it's too springy-- I ended up with a Roland v-combo for under $700 with a case...much bigger and heavier though on the down-side, and I like the other sounds on the electro better.

I absolutely love my electro-3, and I constantly get complements from other kybd players about how it sounds. (disclaimer - I haven't played the NE4). My band members also love it. They like how it sounds in the mix.

I use it in a double keyboard setup in a rock band with a MOXF and I use it by itself for a blues band. I put one large piano sample that i liked best and 2 EP's (Wurli/Rhodes). I think this gives me some really good sounds at a sacrifice of quantity, but it works for me.

I really like the keyboard too. It works well for me for both organ and AP/EP. I really like the real time controls too. I havent played the VR09, so i cant give you any direct comparisons.

I went by the music store about an hour ago, just as I was heading into work. As I walked into the keyboard dept, a customer was walking out with the NORD! Oh well...

CEB - There's a lot I like about the VR09, but something about it seems like it's just 80% complete-wise in terms of sounds and effects. The Hammond on it is good, but something about the NORD just has that pleasing quality. You feel like you're playing the real thing!

Spider75 - Yes, I am aware of the XK-1c, but I think they sell for around $1500 CAD? This E3 had a lot more going for a lot less! Currently I have a MOX6 and a Korg Krome, which does pretty nice Rhodes pianos. For me, the NORD has some very special sounding pianos, a pretty top-notch Wurli, and arguably the best Hammond simulation to my ears.

I think I'm going to console myself by going home this evening and cranking VB3.

Thank you for all the replies - nice to hear from you all.

Nords have a high resale value. $999 seems like a good price for an E3 especially for a 73 or 73HP. I like the versatility of the E3. I'm not sure about the Roland, I haven't really played it much.

Of course the E4 has an improved leslie/organ engine and some other features. If you got the cash you could go for that one. I still like me E3 and it is fun to play. It offers a lot of quality sounds you might find useful. The Nords are made well and are great lightweight gigging boards.

I'll admit that I liked the organ sounds on the Hammond SK1 better. At that time they only had the 61 key model. If was primarily a organ player and I would go for a Hammond.

Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

I have an Electro 4, (which has an upgraded organ from the Electro 3) and an SK1. Obviously, the Nord is best for ap and other voices, but I still prefer the Hammond for organ.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Bear in mind that the Nord Electro 4d has only slightly upgraded organ section and drawbars. It has the same memory limitations. It makes no sense to buy Nord Electro 4d. You may concider to get Electro 3 or wait till 5d but it's going to be twice more expensive.

I have an Electro 4, (which has an upgraded organ from the Electro 3) and an SK1. Obviously, the Nord is best for ap and other voices, but I still prefer the Hammond for organ.

SSM

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, SSM! :)

There is something about the Hammond sound that I don't find in other organs. And I like it.

My Nord Electro 3 HP is a compromise. But I accept it. I use it primarily for AP and EP sounds. And its organ emulation is pretty good.

However, if I were serious about using organ more than AP or EP, I would certainly be looking at an SK1.

I was watching Jim Alfredson do his magic on the Hammond website last night. (Don't tell him this 'cause he'll get the big head), but I really like his music.

Listen to this:

[video:youtube]gkIY3y5vuYw

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I went by the music store about an hour ago, just as I was heading into work. As I walked into the keyboard dept, a customer was walking out with the NORD! Oh well...

Bummer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

just worth noting.

Some features that are improved with Electro 4 from the older E3:

Nord C2D B3 tone wheel simulation

Improved Key Click and Percussion

122 Rotary Speaker simulation

String Resonance (Gen 1)

Long Release (newer and better feature for the piano voices)

2X Memory for Nord Sound Libraries

(Electro 4 SW73/HP Only)

Nord Electro 4 SW73 & HP feature 380 MB of memory for the Nord Piano Library

Nord Electro 4 SW73 & HP also feature 4 Dynamic Response Curves for customizing the keyboard response to your playing style.

Thanks dama,

This is a very good point - I did make note of that on the Nord site. Although the "Organ engine" is "marginally" improved on the E4, the over-two-times memory for the sound library is notable. (Hammer Piano and 73 key version)

I imagine it must be hard to decide which library to leave on your E3 at times. True, it only takes a minute or two to load a new piano, but that's the same thing I get when I use Imperfect Samples through my Kontakt player. It's a real turn-off, these computers...

I loves me hardware! I declare, one day I will own a red keyboard!

Yes, memory can be a problem as the newer sounds get larger for the newer models. It does limit you. I guess I've basically found a combinations that works well for me. I do swap in and out if needed. The editor isn't too bad, but it does take a lot of work to reorganize and the program sections are viewed as just numbers 1A 1B etc.

Still a good buy in IMHO though, if you can find another at that price. I sometimes use the Nord's Black Upright sound, for example, hooked up midi to play on the weighted keys of my PX-5s. The weighted keys are a pleasure to play AP and EPs of the Nord - more expressively.

SSM

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, SSM! :)

There is something about the Hammond sound that I don't find in other organs. And I like it.

Wow, thanks for that Tom! It's not very often that someone agrees with me! :). I don't know what it is about the SK1, it just sounds more visceral or something compared to the Nords and other clonewheels. I even prefer it to the Crumar Mojo, and that's saying a lot, because I just LOVE the Mojo.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I sometimes use the Nord's Black Upright sound, for example, hooked up midi to play on the weighted keys of my PX-5s. The weighted keys are a pleasure to play AP and EPs of the Nord - more expressively.

I love the Black Upright, and also the Petrov. I find I use them more than I use the Grand Pianos.

SSM

Archived