Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drawbars for dummies (and piano players)

mauriziodececco

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bottom 3 are your power drawbars, middle 3 are your spice drawbars, top three are your sizzle drawbars.

Exactly right, and great advice to give to a novice as a starting point. Using that basis, you'd be able to dial in what you want by feel in the dark before you know it. Much more effective than obsessing over the difference between a 6 and a 5 on a written chart.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I still run across tunes I have a hard time dialing in. I couldn't quite figure out the registration for the leads on American Gypsy. But the forum gave me a great setting for it. If I have a problem it is usually something in the middle bars. I still don't remember the registration because I saved it as my Eb preset on the XK3c. :D

FWIW - I listened to Santana Live cuts and it didn't sound dialed in to match the album either. I normally wouldn't worry for about non-hit cut but I really liked the sound on the album.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Here is one I like for playing leads. I used it for solos on Peace Sign and Low Rider. The registration doesn't have jack to do with those songs. A lot of times I most just do my own thing.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 1 month later...

I need help in this area... There's a song I can't get the sound for. any assistance is tremendously appreciated.

I'm using a VR-700 for my organ... Some of it's the drawbar setting... some of it's the leslie... some of it's the gain.

The first 45 seconds of this song should give the gist of the sound.

I'm sure it should be easier than I'm making it, but the sound is elusive.

~ That guy

Archived