Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie Wonder Tribute Show

Rusty Mike

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every performance I've seen so far (delayed on DVR - up to As by India.Arie etc.) has been killin' it. :2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Still another hour away here. Encouraging news to hear folks aren't totally butchering the source material.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Actually a pretty good show. A lot of talent, not a whole lot of schmaltz.

Stevie sporting an all Vintage Vibe rig. The EP on the bottom and Vibanet on the top. Sounded great.

Agree about the show. Everyone seems to have the respect they should for a great artist such as Stevie is.

Knew, or at least I thought, the bottom board was a Vintage Vibe but wasn't sure about the top. Sounded great!

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

If it was a Vibanet on top, it was less obvious than the VV on the bottom. It looked so much like an actual Clav that I thought it was one. Looking at the Vibanet pics on their site, I can't really say. It sounded good, though!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Beyoncé was so good, they should have given her every award ever on the spot!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Beyoncé was so good, they should have given her every award ever on the spot!

Kanye????

Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

My wife asked me "What is that that Lady Gaga is playing?"

A beautiful Rhodes Suitcase.

I heard the Rhodes in the mix and thought she was killing the playing on "I Wish", until I saw her lift her hands completely, and the Rhodes continued. I guess the player behind her was really kicking the Rhodes part.

Went to bed before it was over. We did DVR it so I'll get a chance to finish later.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Just watched the DVR and overall it was an exceptional show imo. It was a similar concept (and producer) to last year's Beatle tribute that coincided with the Grammy's -- except there was no comparison in the quality of the performers and the schmaltz (lack of) factor.

The only singer I didn't care for was Beyonce. She reminds me of a not so good singer I used to play behind in the '70s. ;)

I thought it was cool that someone (Phillinganes ? ) played the exact Herbie lick at the end of the first verse on "As". :cool:

Man it takes some serious stones to get up there and sing My Cherie Amour in a setting like that. Annie Lennox injected just enough of her own thing and sounded great !

Really love that Janelle Monae's voice and feel in that context tonight. My wife told me she's huge in hip hop world...wow what a waste.. Well, make your dough and hopefully in 10 years she'll be in a position to concentrate on some music.

Dug Ed Sheeran's arrangement on "I was made to love her". Very creative. Great voice too.

Tony Bennet at 88 years young holding out a very strong Ab at the end of For once in my life. He sounded great compared to what I've heard of him singing lately. Thought it was finally starting to go but glad he still has it.

The house band and a mix of Stevie's road band (?) sounded great with cool arrangements, I'm guessing by, again, Greg Phillinganes. Although the medley at the end was one that Stevie's band usually plays on shows from what I've heard. Slick and tasteful accents and fills from the drummer propelled things along very nicely.

Stevie himself sounded inspired and in fine form vocally. He concentrated on the melody more then in recent appearances I've heard him on. He was up in the stratosphere and hitting those notes as clear as a bell. His improv notes where spectacular ! He's on a different level vocally.

He had lost some weight obviously. I hope it was natural and not surgically induced. He didn't seem to look real vibrant to me in spite of the lost weight, but he sure sounded great.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Beyonce has a powerful voice, but again another over the top performance, so exaggerated. Would have liked her more if she didn't feel she needed to be so.....much.
Nord electro 3 73, Casio Px-5s, Yamaha SY-85, A&H ZED FX mixer, 2 QSC K8.2s

Just watched the Beyonce performance on Youtube. Enjoyed it very much, was nice to see her performing like -that- again.

Also, Ed Sheeran couldn't have looked more white on that stage but he didn't embarrass himself, which was nice.

I also saw a lot of Roland gear on that stage.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Ed Sheeran was the worst choice for that role. He did alright, but come on... A babyfaced, redhaired, freckled Englishman to hold down the reggae vibe? Ehhh.

As far as Janelle Monáe is concerned... She isn't about to be held down to some label checklist. This woman is an unclassifiable artistic force, and she's not afraid to let anyone know about it. She's the whole package, and she's better off not listening to anyone who wants to tie her down to one thing. She's the kind of artist we could still be talking about in twenty years.

As far as hip-hop... SMH. :deadhorse:

I'm a pretty big Janelle Monae fan myself, but I didn't like her performance with Jill Scott and India Arie because a) all 3 of those ladies are too talented to be held to singing one verse or part of a verse, and b) Scott and Arie have very sultry, soulful, agile voices, and I didn't think Monae fit in very well with that style. The whole thing felt a bit forced to me. I've heard her do Higher Ground a couple of times and that's more up her alley.

Regarding the idea that she is a hip-hop artist, I don't really hear that...at all. I mean seriously, besides the fact that she's young and black and much of her music can be danced to, I'm not sure what she has in common with hip hop artists. For those of you who have yet to explore her albums, I'd say she has a Prince-type vibe more than anything in my opinion. Very creative arrangements and production; not ypur run of the mill pop/r&b stuff. Of course, YMMV...

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

Refuting the notion that Janelle Monae can't be sultry.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwNy12Znp4

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Archived