Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rodrigo y Gabriella

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

Did any of you watch "Live From the Artists' Den" on PBS last night?

They showed a concert of the incredible acoustic duo Rodrigo y Gabriela. Wonderful display of acoustic artistry which emphasizes Spanish, Flamenco and Mexican influences. Their playing is fiery with Rodrigo playing melody and Gabriela handling the harmony with an incredible percussive rhythmic drive.

Here's a link to their full set at Montreux. KILLER PERFORMANCE!!! Check it out!

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had seen these two a couple of years or so ago(I think) as musical guests on some late night talk show.

I'm racking my brain(which as you know, CAN be dangerous)to remember which one(I THINK it was the now long defunct BONNIE HUNT DAYTIME afternoon talk show). Anyway, I was dazzled THEN, and they still seem to dazzle!

Thanks for the clip, Fred. It is now 10:00am where I live, and my wife is in anoher room watching "The Property Brothers"(cripes! I HATE those "scam artists"!), and I was able to drown out the SOUND of those arrogant thieves with this wonderful music! :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Been a fan of R&G since their first album...though I can't recall how I got turned on to them,

Check online, and you may be able to find a performance they did with Alex Skolnick.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

They're fantastic! :cool: They picked up some extra scratch and broader mainstream exposure with this advertising gig:

______ [video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3wm0yNxn8g

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Holy smokes!

nylon strings are awesome.

Outstanding.

I could never get into nylon strings (or light gauge strings on electric). It always felt like I was playing cobwebs. Just a matter of personal preference.

I do recall that my first guitar teacher taught me some flamenco technique when I was fourteen. I even remember the name of the book "Flamenco Without Tears". But I was playing steel strings.

Holy smokes!

Outstanding.

I could never get into nylon strings (or light gauge strings on electric). It always felt like I was playing cobwebs. Just a matter of personal preference.

I do recall that my first guitar teacher taught me some flamenco technique when I was fourteen. I even remember the name of the book "Flamenco Without Tears". But I was playing steel strings.

I really like slide-and-fretted and fretting-behind-the-slide stuff on nylon strings in Open G6 Tuning...

Interesting old thread, Caev. I can't comment because my slide experience is very limited. Jerry Ricks introduced me to slide. He taught me 3 or 4 tunes in Open D and Open G, but I never pursued it any further. I'm just not into slide and still don't like nylon strings. It must be a character flaw or something.

Interesting old thread, Caev. I can't comment because my slide experience is very limited. Jerry Ricks introduced me to slide. He taught me 3 or 4 tunes in Open D and Open G, but I never pursued it any further. I'm just not into slide and still don't like nylon strings. It must be a character flaw or something.

Hehhehhehh.... ! No flaw. 'S fine.

I am terribly, criminally, AWFULLY out of practice and rusty at slide lately, anyway...

Holy smokes!

Outstanding.

I left light strings on electric in the rearview a long time ago as well-went to medium and haven`t looked back. Nylon is another matter, I like bossa nova and samba rhythms, have like forever. I don`t play classical but for those styles nylon is just fine. Unfortunately my guitar that I would use for that has been tucked away stateside. Indeed I could easily see purists listening to Rodrigo & Gabriella, and cringing loudly enough to get kicked out of a library. I personally think they are fabulous, and the eclecticism only adds to it.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Skip,

+1 on Bossa Nova/Samba. Can't get enough of it. As a matter of fact, I am listening to my Bossa channel on Pandora as I type this.

I mean no disrespect toward guitarists who like and play nylon strings. Just not my cup of tea.

Could you explain why "purists" would cringe at R&G? Not sure I understand this comment.

Be well and play well, my friend.

Because they are purists.

R&G use techniques and choose to play songs that cross genres, thus they are a blight the "defenders of the faith" feel quite strongly should be ignored or denigrated.

It happens- supposedly, Segovia thought electric guitars were an abomination.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Skip,

+1 on Bossa Nova/Samba. Can't get enough of it. As a matter of fact, I am listening to my Bossa channel on Pandora as I type this.

I mean no disrespect toward guitarists who like and play nylon strings. Just not my cup of tea.

Could you explain why "purists" would cringe at R&G? Not sure I understand this comment.

Be well and play well, my friend.

Thank you indeed sir.

I think Dannyalcatraz said it pretty well-there is already a canon of music developed on and for nylon stringed guitar. Some of the big poobahs in that genre feel that there is more than enough material there to challenge even technically advanced players, and anything outside of that-I would certainly include playing a Radiohead song (Yes I watched most of the concert vid)-is a frivolous waste of time. I mean, come on-some of what I heard was clearly rearranged hard rock/metal. That MIGHT rankle a few old skool types?

Just for the record-one of the most interesting master classes I ever went to was from a gentleman from Uruguay, Abel Carlevaro (hope I`m spelling that right). He was a direct student of Villa-Lobos. He gave a lot of time to people who were selected to play but, the the he actually got up there and played himself was really good. I`m still working on some of what he showed. Pinch harmonics-forget it. I suck. Talk to Tommy Emmanuel.

Fred

Well who can say what someone listens to in their free time.

I would bet good money that Segovia genuinely disliked electric guitars.

He regarded them as toys.

Considering the cost of a good classical guitar, he may have a point.

That said, I don`t buy into stereotypes.

Kind of ironic that the opposite of stereotype sounds even worse-monotype? :D

Anyway, Paco De Lucia played on this song:

Just for the record-one of the most interesting master classes I ever went to was from a gentleman from Uruguay, Abel Carlevaro (hope I`m spelling that right). He was a direct student of Villa-Lobos. He gave a lot of time to people who were selected to play but, the the he actually got up there and played himself was really good. I`m still working on some of what he showed. Pinch harmonics-forget it. I suck. Talk to Tommy Emmanuel.

Skip,

Are you a classical guitarist? I really have no insight into what styles you like to play.

Regards.

Fred-no I`m not but my teacher way back when was accomplished at classical and flamenco. We mostly worked with jazz motifs but he exposed me to some music I would not have sought out on my own, which is why I was interested in Mr. Carlevaro`s class.

These days I`m seeing the guitar more as part of an overall sound palette-there`s an assortment of things on my soundclick page but some of what I`ve put together is not on it. At least you can get an overall idea:

www.soundclick.com/skipt

@Skip & @DBM,

So you gents are referring to classical & traditional flamenco guitarists as purists?

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.

I am innocent amigo ;~), I never commented on "purists" in this or any other thread.

I did see Rodrigo & Gabriella on several TV shows and I was suitably impressed with their musical craftsmanship. I could not classify it as anything that I ever heard before. I just liked their stuff.

@Skip & @DBM,

So you gents are referring to classical & traditional flamenco guitarists as purists?

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the clarification.

I am innocent amigo ;~), I never commented on "purists" in this or any other thread.

Sorry DBM, Momentarily confused you with DannyA. My error,

BTW: I am envious of the time you spent studying with Emily Remler. That must have been somethin'.

Archived