Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Kronos frozen at startup. Any ideas?

execlass2

So today I went back to the studio, turned my Kronos 88 on, lights up, screen comes up, OS starts loading, progress bar almost half way ...and then, freezes on the message "Initializing User Interface". Tried a dozen times, always same behavior. I hear the internal fan working, but nothing goes beyond that screen. I suspect a bad RAM. (It has been updated recently to 3 GB). Have you experienced this? Any ideas before I open it up?

Damn, I'm so pissed off right now! :mad:

Thx

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non matched ram could be the culprit

Or it got unseated in the slot

Are u always on a UPS ? The Kronos needs steady power

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This happened to me once on my Kronos, just before a gig. I opened up the unit and found one of the ram cards slightly unseated. I reseated the ram and it powered up normally and I haven't experienced the problem again.

turned out my RAM that I bought on ebay as 800Mhz is actually 666

The devil you say!

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

It has been updated in an authorized Korg repair centre, so I don't expect them to screw up with the type of RAM they used. But who knows? It might have gone bad somehow or unseated. I'll try to find some time this evening to open up its guts.

Kawai MP7, Kurzweil PC361, DSI Pro2, Streichfett, Nektar P6, NI Maschine Studio, KMI QuNeo, Eventide H9, Zoom MS100BT, VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Arturia BeatStep Pro.

Update ... I removed both RAM sticks (the original 2GB and the newer 1 GB) and tested them in all possible configurations on both slots ... conclusion: I managed to have a full start of the OS some 3 times out of 20 attempts. When a configuration worked, I repeated it...only to fail again on second attempt. It worked with the 2GB alone. It worked with the 2+1. But I was never able to have success in replicating the same result twice in a row. So, it goes to the authorized repair shop and let them figure out what's wrong. I still think it's the RAM, but I'm not 100% sure of anything anymore. Sometimes it gets stuck at "Initializing User Interface", sometimes it gets stuck at "Loading Sound Banks". The last 5 attempts failed in a row, so ... repair time.

Archived