Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Uptown Funk

jstrauss

My band played this in a gig earlier this Summer. I mainy play the synth lines using an Oberheimish funky polysynth sound I made from scratch called "Minneapolis" which is a 2 detuned-osc sawtooth sound with an organ envelope.

For the "rise" sound, I basically changed my patch's pitch bend range from 2 to 12, and played the rise manually using the pitch bend wheel. It's an easier option than flipping patches on my synth.

[video:youtube]a9gijt_Mw0c

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do this in a couple of different bands. I made a great setup on my Kurz PC3K that has the initial 'bass/vocal' sound, the subsequent background pad chords on single keys (so they can be played with the left hand at the same time as the intro bass/vocal part), the rising siren, the "Princely" synth stabs/pad, then the horns on top. I have it set up so I can play the stabs with (ascending gliss) in one zone, then, like the intro pads) the two chords for the chorus on single notes that can be played with the right thumb while playing the horns with the rest of the right hand. This is the setup I use when playing left hand bass.

I got a Nord User Forum patch, which I layered up with some Farfisa organ on the pad, and extra horns. The patch is great (whistle, claps, everything's there), but I don't feel like a musician when I play this track, I feel like a DJ. Not as satisfying.

Cheers, Mike.

I had to learn it for a gig subbing in for another keyboard player. I set it up on the Kronos with "doh" and "oooo" samples, the synth patch, the horns, the rise, and the claps, and managed to get it all in there. Went well with the band, but the ones who got the biggest rise were my kids at home when I was practicing it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The sampler in my JUNO-G beautifully auto-chopped the doo-duh samples from Bill H. and assigned them to consecutive keys.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 5 months later...

I HATE to bring this back up, But I have a one off fill in gig with another band this weekend and my Motif is on my band truck.

Has anyone found or built a patch on a Roland VR-09 for this song. I don't have a lot of time to search or create one. I would appreciate some ideas/help

I use the VR-09 in my second rig for these fill in gigs but usually they are R&B oriented.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I didn't look at this thread before. I will be playing this song, but mostly on my PX-5s, not on my VR-09. There is a GREAT pX-5S stage setting for it on the forum.

Are any of you guys playing the reverse high hat sound? I intend to - whoever made that stage setting was kind enough to include it, and it sounds SO cool! :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Thanks Busch, I just need to load them on a thumb drive and I'll be set I think.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• 2 months later...

Zombie Thread (I apologize in advance)

So my band plays this song and we're trying (okay, I am) to up the authenticity factor on this one. So we're gonna play to a sequence I've made. A few other bands locally hack at it so I wanna show them who's boss.

I have almost everything exactly how I like it (the rises, the dohs, string layers, horns, etc.) but there is one little bit I don't have figured out and I know you veterans are gonna laugh but...

How do I get that reverse-high hat thing at 0:04, 0:08, etc.? I'm doing this on a Kronos and I looked through all the sfx patches, drum patches, etc. to no avail.

I posted on the korg forums but they aren't as active as you folks here and I'm sure they're as sick of discussing this song as you all are. But I know someone will throw me a bone! lol.

Thanks in advance,

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

If you're going to cop the reverse HH rise, build it from scratch.

I'd program it as a white noise patch and use the envelope to articulate the rise and sudden cutoff. Or of course you could sample it but I'm not good yet on sample manipulation on the Kronos. I use a Nord Wave for that kinda stuff.

I also do UF in several bands. I cover the "dohs", hand claps, "Julio" whistle, The Time synth and the riser patch (on the Wave). I suppose I'm "hacking" at it as well, but the dance floor don't lie.

I might suggest that really doing it right means playing every sound live by hand. To that end, I think Aron Nelson (on both the kronos forum and here) programmed the definitive workup of this song on the kronos. I downloaded his excellent work, but haven't actually loaded into my kronos as I use a 73 and I think I have to do some reassignments to get it to work.

tim

How do I get that reverse-high hat thing at 0:04, 0:08, etc.? I'm doing this on a Kronos and I looked through all the sfx patches, drum patches, etc. to no avail.

I agree with Tim's suggestion that you could probably quite easily build this yourself using a noise waveform.

As an alternative though you should be able to "steal" a reverse hat sound from one of your drum kits and assign it to a combi? I don't use kits at all but just did it on my Krome to see if it was possible. I can't imagine there'd be any capability the Krome has that your Kronos can't do, and do better.

Yeah, okay. I think I can pull off what you guys suggest as far as building it myself. Noise and envelopes should work.

And I agree Tim about the definition of really "doing it right". I just am not talented enough to pull of the stacked sounds towards the end of the song (Dohs, plus Time synth, the "mwwaaaah", claps and horns all at once). I'm gonna cheat and let the machine help me with that. As you said, dancefloor don't lie and I'm just a weekend warrior who started late in life so my hand independence just isn't where is should be to pull it off 100%.

Thanks everyone!

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Archived