Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Active PA speaker or Reference Monitors ?

Having just purchased a Roland RD300NX I want to get some kind of speaker system for use at home rather than always using headphones.

I use an old Peavey KB60 for gigging and love it but I keep it in the car ( its a heavy old beast to keep lumping in and out of my house ! )

I recently saw that a lot of keyboard players use a powered PA speaker alongside a small mixer and say that the sound is the best out there.

I can get a Mackie SRM350v2 for £199 delivered in the UK , what do you think ? Get the Mackie sit it in the corner and also use it for gigging or go for a set of Studio Reference Monitors ?

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two different tasks: live sound & near field monitoring.

Use the speaker for the task it was intended to do.

You'll be happier in the end. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Get a [proper PA system...] sit it in the corner and also use it for gigging or go for a set of Studio Reference Monitors ?
I would recommending doing both of these (if financially possible). Get a stereo PA system for gigging, and a good pair of studio monitors for home use. This will most likely get you the best sound.

I use my EV's both in my studio and on stage. They sound great!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One of the main differences is that each is intended to focus sound differently.

Reference monitors are usually set up for near field applications, and are for you...and pretty much only you. Their primary function is accuracy.

A PA speaker or keyboard amp are more designed to disperse the sound to the audience. Their primary function is clean volume.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Studio monitors for home if you're interested in more critical listening.

I played at home for many years using home stereo speakers. Figured all these people using studio monitors were full of crap and had too much money to spend. I was wrong.

Studio monitors are a great investment if you really want to hear what your gear can do.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

One more thing...

Often, at home, I want to listen at very low levels. Small studio monitors are great for this.

I've found that systems designed for live sound reinforcement need to be played at a certain minimum volume before they begin to sound balanced.

And, as dB stated, their coverage pattern is different. With live sound speakers (systems), you really need to be a few feet away for them to sound cohesive.

So, as I stated in my previous posts, these are two different designs for two different purposes...

and you should have a set of both. :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Even for small rooms, I can't recommend anything lower than 8 inches for monitors. It's a world of difference in terms of the quality of sound in general.

Wow Kenny.

With one stroke of the proverbial pen, you're dismissing a LOT of good monitors.

Here's a recent article about the 9 Best Studio Monitors.

And if you look at the current line up of the most popular monitors that Sweetwater sells, there are quite a few at the top of the list that have a woofer smaller than 8". KLONK!

And in this demonstration of the Ravenscroft 275 (a favorite of mine), you'll find a pair of Focal Solo6 Be - 6.5" Monitors.

[video:youtube]k7izCMqIIPc

These may have been supplemented by a sub woofer, I didn't see it.

And ask Mike Martin about the Genelecs he used in the pit of a Broadway show where they had multiple Kurzweil boards and each player used one for his personal monitor.

No. I don't want a monitor with an 8", or larger, woofer for the room I'm in. I'd prefer something smaller. If I wanted to augment the low end, I'd buy a subwoofer.

But it's all good (and subjective). YMMV, yada-yada, liar-liar pants on fire, I think the people down the hall know who you are

... and all that. :cool:

Tom

Even for small rooms, I can't recommend anything lower than 8 inches for monitors. It's a world of difference in terms of the quality of sound in general.

What's happening with a monitor in the low end only has so much to do with the size of it's woofer. The size and constructions of the enclosure, whether the box is ported or sealed, whether there's a passive radiator, the quality and type of the amp, the materials the woofer is made from (coated paper/polypropylene/kevlar/etc) - all of these contribute to the performance of a monitor's low end.

Also, manufacturers can frequently get better, more even low end by adding a second woofer to an enclosure than they can by using a bigger woofer...so, a pair of 10" drivers can generate deeper frequencies and more balanced performance than a single 12"...or even a 15".

dB

Obviously Dave will rip me to pieces if I don't explain myself... :P

Of the many, many pairs of monitors that I demoed [when I was looking for a pair recently], there was a common trait among all of them, though. I always felt there was more power, in general, coming from the monitors with the 8" woofers. One thing I didn't want to happen was have the music cranked up loud, and have a bunch of distortion - either in the highs or the lows. I'd rather have something designed to be slightly louder than I need rather than something way too small and have to crank up the volume (and distort).

Adding a subwoofer could be a completely different story (and probably is), but if we're just talking the monitors themselves...

Obviously Dave will rip me to pieces if I don't explain myself... :P

:saber::hitt::D

Of the many, many pairs of monitors that I demoed [when I was looking for a pair recently], there was a common trait among all of them, though. I always felt there was more power, in general, coming from the monitors with the 8" woofers.

Not surprising. As I mentioned in my double woofer comments previously, the biggest benefit of larger drivers is volume, not deeper frequency response.

One thing I didn't want to happen was have the music cranked up loud, and have a bunch of distortion - either in the highs or the lows. I'd rather have something designed to be slightly louder than I need rather than something way too small and have to crank up the volume (and distort). Adding a subwoofer could be a completely different story (and probably is)

Certainly.

I actually wrote an article for Recording magazine a few months ago about subs, talking about the fact that there are actually different reasons for adding one. Only some folks are looking for full range frequency response. More people who add subs are looking for exactly what you are - more presence, more punch, more depth, more clarity....in short, more fun. :D

Bottom line though...there is really no right or wrong with monitoring - go with whatever works best for your ears, your space and your budget.

dB

I always wanted to play keys at home through a pair of K-Horns just to see how it would work.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

... :saber: ...

Put that thing away Dave, before you cut somebody's head off... or worse, one of their fingers. :eek:

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Well I went for a pair of KRK Rokit 5 G3 's

With stands and leads.

Will be here on Thursday .

Hope I've made a good choice ?

Don't want to rain on your parade here, but for an extra £25 you could have got a pair of Yamaha HS5's, which sound much better IMHO.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

With stands and leads.

Don't want to rain on your parade here, but for an extra £25 you could have got a pair of Yamaha HS5's, which sound much better IMHO.

SSM

:facepalm:

You know... sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.

And ask Mike Martin about the Genelecs he used in the pit of a Broadway show where they had multiple Kurzweil boards and each player used one for his personal monitor.

I didn't think Mike was allowed in any Broadway (or off-Broadway) theatres after his outburst during "Cats" back in the 80s. Did you mean David Weiser?

I didn't think Mike was allowed in any Broadway (or off-Broadway) theatres after his outburst during "Cats" back in the 80s. Did you mean David Weiser?

Yes. Dave Weiser. My bad.

Yes. Dave Weiser. My bad.

It's an easy mistake. They did, after all, go to different schools together.

Hahahahahahaha! :D

With stands and leads.

I would strongly disagree. Studio monitors are completely subjective in what you're looking for when you buy them, but KRKs (at least the newer ones) are pretty damn good. Yamahas have been used for years (and have been very reliable), I get that, but KRKs are definitely some of the most capable monitors out there.

With stands and leads.

SSM

Maybe the prices are more closely matched in the UK, but in the States the price difference is $50 each, or $100 for the pair.

Studio monitors are completely subjective in what you're looking for when you buy them

Completely agree.

but KRKs (at least the newer ones) are pretty damn good. Yamahas have been used for years (and have been very reliable), I get that, but KRKs are definitely some of the most capable monitors out there.

If you're talking about Rokits, you and I have very diffferent tastes in monitors, brother... :D

...but then again, I'm a pretty serious studio monitor snob. I believe there's nothing more important in your studio than your ears, and that it can therefore be reasonably argued that your monitors are the second most important thing. They are the tool you use to enjoy and critically evaluate every sound you make and shape. If you're an electronic musician, nothing is sound until it comes out of your monitors. I think it's worth to to get the best ones you can.

dB

Is it possible that I'm an even bigger snob? I wouldn't think so, but I built my own studio monitors to match my own impossible specifications. I spent $200 just on a factory matched pair of dome tweeters. The crossover components alone cost almost as much as the speakers. I did significant woodwork to time align each driver. For recording purposes, I mic my studio monitors and run them through Roland KC amps for the best possible sound quality.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

With stands and leads.

SSM

You know... sometimes it's better to just keep your mouth shut.

ITGITC: Not if the OP has bought them from a place that allows you 14 or 28 days grace on your purchases - which is the case if they are mail order. If it were me, I would prefer someone to jump in with advice.

Is the facepalm because you agree with my assessment, but don't want to upset the OP? I may be reading between the lines here, but I believe that it's possible that dB may agree with what I'm saying about KRK v Yamaha.

Dulcelabs: There is under $40 a pair difference here.

Kenny: I mostly agree with your posts, both here and on other forums, but I believe that you are way off base with this one. I recently A/B'd the Rokits and Yammies, the Rokits sounded fine, but only until I turned the Yammies on.

To the OP: I hope you love your speakers, I really do, BUT if you have them on approval, I suggest you try and listen to a pair of HS5's, and then make the exchange if you think it's necessary.

Peace,

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!