Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action

Jazz+

Fast forward to 5:00 minutes for a view of the fireworks. He was so unique:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUGEBh7BnW8

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did anybody notice the way he keeps time with his feet?

Two beats with the left foot and two beats with the right foot. Quite different......

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

Incredible technique and a wonder how this guy did not have tenontitis problems! In his full octaves style, one can see that his hand is totaly solid and the movement comes from the full hand, not the wrist-Russian technique. Incredible pianist and a hell of a stylist. His work with Pepper Adams was pivotal, but i also like a lot his collaboration with Kip Harnahan
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Don Pullen killed on piano. Whoever dressed him like Punky Brewster deserved an azz whuppin'. :laugh:

In fairness to him, Crayola coordinated clothes were stylish in the 80s. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 weeks later...

Don Pullen tapped a lot of L R L R in this video which makes more sense because L is closer to the left low bass notes on piano and beat 1 .

L R L R is the opposite of the drum set foot technique which I am used to since I was a kid. Taking walks and tapping the left hand as your legs keep time is a great way to exercise and get left hand syncopation on auto pilot.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Of course Don Pullen was a B3 organ player so his feet are trained to tap all sorts of patterns. It's like he did a little dance, often times simply: LLLL , or LLRR, or LRLR , and other various patterns...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVe6zlPV0Go

Archived