Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Michel Camilo x Hiromi : 10th degree black belts

Jazz+

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another lame thread title -- why compare to the fighting arts?

But those are both great videos. Especially enjoyed Hiromi slowing it down a little and playing soulfully on Spirit.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Lame and why mention martial arts?

Because Hiromi has said that Bruce Lee is a hero of hers. Notice her somewhat Olympic approach to playing, like a Chinese gymnast playing for gold. Also, she's famous for her tune "Return of the Kung Fu World Champion". She has performed it hundreds of times and with Bruce Lee in mind.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

No real feel there but a lot of chops. Everytime I see these videos posted I wonder what the appeal is but to each their own. Camillo on the other hand is wicked. I like a lot of his philosophy concerning practice routines.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Oh, so because Hiromi's idea of "feel" is different than your idea of "feel" she's dismissed as "no real feel there." Sounds like arrogant talk.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

J+, thanks for posting the duet video. Nobody comes into a musical career fully formed. Nor should they. Hiromi's experience with Stanley Clarke (and her continuing study, which is quite apparent) has clearly done her good. She's a more mature player today. I hear some really nice bop and jazz- blues sensibility along with clever ideas. MC is on another planet as far as I am concerned. Thanks very much.

Jazz+'s persistence kept me aware of Hiromi. For the longest time, I could not get into her. (Admittedly, I believe there were personal reasons as well as musical reasons for this, and that's my own issue.)

But what really turned me on to her music was the video Keyboard posted of her playing and talking about her Move album. At that point, I connected with what she was playing. I checked out Move, and ended up buying it. I suspect a lot of the issue was a bit of maturity I found in her playing. I think in her early material she was "playing young," but now I feel like she knows when to hold back and when to blow. That's just something that comes from experience and maturity.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...

I would put Hiromi more around 4th-5th dan. She is at the peak of physical skill which should start around 3rd dan.

10th dans when you find real ones are old people who may be a treasure of knowledge but dang just walking across the floor at that age hurts.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Oh, so because Hiromi's idea of "feel" is different than your idea of "feel" she's dismissed as "no real feel there." Sounds like arrogant talk.

Look sometimes people like her and Rudess playing comes off a little contrived to me, it doesn't seem natural or that fluid. I have been at this for a long time and she reminds of me of people I saw at Eastman music school when I took a group Gospel class in 1998-2000. That's all it really is, she obviously knows something and has a lot of technical chops. I watched the video but something just doesn't seem right. It's like there is a gap between her and the piano. If I were comparing it to Martial Arts (for those of you comparing) I would saw she is a good Kata/Pattern competitor but not a good fighter.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived