Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Second keyboard on acoustic piano

rickzjamm

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't seen any advertised anywhere. I would think something could be fabricated that would fit all the way across and provide support. I have closed the lid fully and set my PC3 on a grand (with some cloth between to be sure the lid wasn't scratched).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Ken Rich makes "Straddlers" for EP's and Hammond organs which might be suitable for some grand Pianos.

http://kenrichsounds.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=88

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I tried that for a while, and had problems playing the top keyboard -- too high, wrong angle, etc. Standard piano benches weren't tall enough, and I couldn't find a simple way to angle the top keyboard towards me.

Best of luck!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Depends. If it is a $85,000 piano with a sweet primo finish I wouldn't set synth DIRECTLY on it.

I can picture in my head exactly what I would fabricate. It would be similar to those straddlers made out of a hardwood of your choice with flared decorative base and heavy felted bottoms. Would run to decorative support spindles between the synth holders for stability. Build to the desired angle.

If it is an old studio piano with drinking glass rings and a chipped finish I would probably eff it and put the synth right on the piano.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have seen what looked like a small hand stitched oriental tablecloth used. It was at a local show in Frankfurt,Germany. The guy used it with a small analog synth sitting atop a Bösendorfer. The funny thing was he didn't use it all night.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I had this problem a while ago. I thought to build some kind of stand to angle the synth, but I found that in order to be the right position for my wrists, I would have needed to angle it quite a lot. With the synth just placed directly on top of the piano, the only way was to stand up when playing the synth, but my piano playing was greatly limited then. So I ended up setting the synth on a regular stand at my right side, with its keyboard roughly at the same height of the piano keyboard, making an L-shape. As long as you don't need to use your left hand on it, I find it the most logical/comfortable solution.

When you're a name artist with the financial freedom to stack whatever on a grand, dance on it & even set it on fire (Jerry Lee) without giving it a second thought that's super cool, but for the working class piano player using a "loaner" it's a different dance.

Yup, it's project time.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I used to simply set a keyboard on top of my CP70. For the tier above that, I used an Ultimate Stands tabletop tube stand, made using the same kind of parts as the old A frame stands.

This had two (inverted) T-shaped ends to serve as feet/legs, and a horizontal tube between them with arms for setting a keyboard on top, at any desired angle. The height of the bar was adjustable. I'd experimented with mounting a couple of small speakers on top of the T's, but that never quite worked out (mostly due to not attacking the job seriously, or finding the right speakers.)

IIRC, I actually set the back of the bottom keyboard on top of the T "feet" so that it was angled down a bit. The height over the CP70's keyboard was more than I wanted but that's life (just as with a grand piano).

If you're interested, I can post pictures, but I'd have to take them first. Haven't used them in forever and wonder whether I ever will.

Whenever I think of putting a synth atop an acoustic piano, I can't help but think about this album from 1987 that I had back in the day...

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-2106088-1391281812-8410.jpeg

Yup, that's a Prophet 5 atop his grand.

Nice album, too.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Archived