Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Triton Taktile -- opinions?

Mike Davis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised they are using the Triton name associated with this. They say 512 Triton sounds, but the Triton hasn't been out for quite a while and this is nothing like a triton. Just seems like kind of an odd way to market it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The low end korg action feels pretty decent, except that it is so short-hinged that the back half of the black keys are very unresponsive. So it's better for sounds that are not velocity-based. My issue with the Triton Taktile is that it has no MIDI In... which also means you can't get around the action limitation by triggering its sounds from a second board (i.e. in a simple 2-board rig, without a computer). Obviously, its design is computer-centric anyway, but it would be more useful for that kind of secondary gigging purpose if it had a MIDI in. Even the little 25-key one could have doubled as a nice sound module to add more sounds that could be played from a board that had limited sounds of its own.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm surprised they are using the Triton name associated with this. They say 512 Triton sounds, but the Triton hasn't been out for quite a while and this is nothing like a triton. Just seems like kind of an odd way to market it.

The built-in sounds/sound engine is the Triton. I'm guessing Triton Le, but I don't know that for sure. The only difference would be the number of Insert effects...

So it makes sense.

Jerry

I forgot about he LE. I'm used to tritons having a sequencer and sampling.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Also, it seems to have a strange way of selecting internal sounds - a slider bar? I read in a thread that someone tried using it live on stage and had a heck of a time selecting the sounds.

I believe you can set 16 favorites, but you're right, that is a little unusual.

One other thing I'm not clear on, might be a dumb question: can you record the Triton sounds via the USB cable, or would you use the audio out and go through your interface?

I've been through the online manual a bit -- maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it. Wouldn't be the first time!

I believe you can set 16 favorites

and if I understand the manual correctly, I think you can also specify which sound comes up as default when you hit a category button. So that would be 24 sounds (3 banks of 8) that you could assign to buttons for quick recall. Assuming you're generally connecting it to a computer, though, you could presumably arrange alternate ways to recall the sounds you want via the computer side of things.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I can't understand why KEYBOARD COMPANIES are putting the shittiest cheapest shittiest actions they can find on keyboards. I mean, yes, I understand why (they're CHEAPER), but seeing as the action is the most tactile element of a keyboard, why is LESS MORE??? It's really LESS!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I can't understand why KEYBOARD COMPANIES are putting the shittiest cheapest shittiest actions they can find on keyboards. I mean, yes, I understand why (they're CHEAPER), but seeing as the action is the most tactile element of a keyboard, why is LESS MORE??? It's really LESS!

1. Who's the market for the Taktile? (Is the Taktile even selling? As I recall, Korg's last similar controller, the Kontrol 49, didn't sell well.)

2. Are they people who need, want, or even care about playing a premium action?

3. Would people be willing to pay more for a premium action?

1. I don't know.

2. Probably not.

3. Only the people on Keyboard Corner.

Archived