Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

I don't think we've looked at this one before?

There are plenty of good Reverb pedals out there, but this one is really out there! It's perfectly capable of giving you a conventional Reverb effect, but that's not why you'd want this. You want Octave Down-shifted Reverb, shimmering Swell effects, maybe an Infinite Hold/Freeze Reverb built in, along with seasick Modulation? Here you go . . .

Yes, it's Mono, but run it into a Stereo Delay, and prepare to give up part of a weekend. The Rise effect alone was enough to get my attention, the Dream setting invites you to float away.

[video:youtube]

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I have! :D:thu: When I eventually get around to grabbing a reverb pedal- and I'm quite well served for 'verb, overall, by my Strymon Flint (damn I love its Modulated " '80s Rack Hall", and its " '70s Studio Plate"!!)- this Walrus Audio SLÖ Reverb will be a top-tier contender, vying perhaps only with the Strymon Big Sky.

There was a great video of Omar Rodríguez-López of The Mars Volta demonstrating a sig-model guitar, the EB/MM Mariposa, wherein he also deployed the Teisco Fuzz (an fOXX Tone Machine like octave-fuzz) and the WA SLÖ. That was such a great sounding clip that it made me want both that fuzz and the SLÖ! I think that, for whatever reasons, that video is currently not floating around out there...

There are plenty of good Reverb pedals out there, but this one is really out there! It's perfectly capable of giving you a conventional Reverb effect, but that's not why you'd want this. You want Octave Down-shifted Reverb, shimmering Swell effects, maybe an Infinite Hold/Freeze Reverb built in, along with seasick Modulation? Here you go . . .

There are also some out there that are even more 'out there'; but, I don't hear a lot that I'd use all that often, if at all, amongst what some of them offer (Strymon, I'm looking at the Nightsky).

'S fine, s' just not my action-word. (See what I did there? ;):crazy: )

I do think, however, that I would enjoy and use much of what the SLÖ 'verb brings to the room.

Yes, it's Mono, but run it into a Stereo Delay, and prepare to give up part of a weekend.

Now, some of the simultaneously sickest and most beautiful reverberations ever recorded were created and mixed completely in mono by gun-wieldin', stereo-hatin' Phil Spector...

I could and would run the SLÖ through my old AC-powered TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, and thence stereo Left and Right to the Stereo Through/Input of my Strymon El Capistan and Flint- quite possibly adding a little of the Flint's aforementioned modulated Rack/Hall to the atmosphere, as well...

The Rise effect alone was enough to get my attention, the Dream setting invites you to float away.

Sounds most inviting!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Yes, it's Mono, but run it into a Stereo Delay, and prepare to give up part of a weekend. The Rise effect alone was enough to get my attention, the Dream setting invites you to float away.

Adding another pedal to my G.A.S. list...)

Andy is one hell of a gear pusher! Talks just enough to let you understand what you"re about to hear, then let"s the gear speak for itself.

This is another one of those pedals that I probably could emulate with my current gear, but it would definitely take more than a couple to do it.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

OTOH, if you like your Reverb grainy, glitchy, and more than a little bent . . .

Yes, you can get dense Guitar Pads with the Dark Star, but the real fun is in abusing your signal with Pitch-Shifting or Bit Crushing. Well, that's my idea of fun, at least.

BTW, I'm not sure this is the best possible demo video, but most of the others were much longer.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

• 1 month later...

Cool. :cool:

At that price- and I'm not saying it's not worth it, if it's what someone wants- other things will preclude my considering one for some time to come. Truth be told, I'd be more likely to install a real Bigsby on a guitar if Bigsby sound and action were what I was after.

But it's still a really cool idea, and given their track record so far, I'd expect that Gamechanger Audio will have knocked it out of the park.

It will be interesting to see. I mean, the ability to have the benefits of a whammy bar without dealing with the headaches of actually having oneâ¦

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

So, a Digitech Whammy with a cooler pedal mechanism? Any idea how you get it to bend up & down around pitch, like an actual Bigsby trem? I guess we'll find out.

A spring-driven mechanism, driving a DSP: Interesting combination of high- and low-tech, but not that different from the Mod Wheel on a Synth, I guess? Doesn't call to me, but I've never been a fan of the Bigsby Trem, so it isn't really directed at me.

So, a Digitech Whammy with a cooler pedal mechanism? Any idea how you get it to bend up & down around pitch, like an actual Bigsby trem? I guess we'll find out.

A spring-driven mechanism, driving a DSP: Interesting combination of high- and low-tech, but not that different from the Mod Wheel on a Synth, I guess? Doesn't call to me, but I've never been a fan of the Bigsby Trem, so it isn't really directed at me.

I'm usually wiggling the trem bar, both up & down, for a slow vibrato. My foot would need an opposing thumb to be able to pull up on that pedal arm.

I think I'm fine with the units I currently have built into guitars. Unless this pedal does something else so incredible that it's not just a simulation of the physical process of grabbing the arm.

Scott Fraser

I'm usually wiggling the trem bar, both up & down, for a slow vibrato. My foot would need an opposing thumb to be able to pull up on that pedal arm.

I think I'm fine with the units I currently have built into guitars. Unless this pedal does something else so incredible that it's not just a simulation of the physical process of grabbing the arm.

From the looks of it, my impression is that it works much like a Wah-wah pedal, in that you press down with your toe, and back with your heel, and the Range of Pitch-Bend is determined by the DSP? It really seems more like a variation on a Whammy pedal with an idiosyncratic control interface, and possibly a more flexible DSP, as opposed to the fixed Intervals on the Whammy.

I'm not sure how it responds to a light touch, so you can "play" it to any degree?

I only do downward bends and back to normal with the whammy and have my Strat bridge plates set flat on the body. Having a floating up and down bridge causes me to go out of tune as I like to rest my palm on the saddles. Even though the Bigsby works up and down and stays in tune, I still only do downward bend and use the whammy's sparingly. Usually for surf music and/or at the end of a tune...so the pedal would work for me even if it can't do upward bends. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

From the looks of it, my impression is that it works much like a Wah-wah pedal, in that you press down with your toe, and back with your heel, and the Range of Pitch-Bend is determined by the DSP? It really seems more like a variation on a Whammy pedal with an idiosyncratic control interface, and possibly a more flexible DSP, as opposed to the fixed Intervals on the Whammy. I'm not sure how it responds to a light touch, so you can "play" it to any degree?

I had completely not noticed that the axle is mid-pedal, so it can rock back & forth. It looks so much like a piano sustain pedal I was assuming it just goes down. Now I'm intrigued. Presumably you can set the range to a quarter tone or less up & down, & get some nice vibrato. Pricey, it will have to sound really good.

Scott Fraser

From the looks of it, my impression is that it works much like a Wah-wah pedal, in that you press down with your toe, and back with your heel, and the Range of Pitch-Bend is determined by the DSP? It really seems more like a variation on a Whammy pedal with an idiosyncratic control interface, and possibly a more flexible DSP, as opposed to the fixed Intervals on the Whammy. I'm not sure how it responds to a light touch, so you can "play" it to any degree?

I had completely not noticed that the axle is mid-pedal, so it can rock back & forth. It looks so much like a piano sustain pedal I was assuming it just goes down. Now I'm intrigued. Presumably you can set the range to a quarter tone or less up & down, & get some nice vibrato. Pricey, it will have to sound really good.

Gamechanger DOES make a pedal that uses a pianos sustain-pedal for the actuator, the Plus Pedal.

This one, the Bigsby, resembles a Bigsby tailpiece.

Gamechanger DOES make a pedal that uses a pianos sustain-pedal for the actuator, the Plus Pedal.

And the Plus was so thoroughly in my mind's eye that I just assumed the Bigsby hinged at the top, like an actual Bigsby. Well, it IS cute, but functionally a standard treadle type mechanism would operate the electronics exactly the same, so clearly the visual gag is a bit of a gimmick. I will have to assume it sounds really good to get the Fender/Bigsby seal of approval. I have to say, much as people love their Bigsbys, Leo's invention of a pivoting bridge on the Strat is a much better way to implement pitch bends. Jeff Beck would not be able to play melodies on a harmonic with a Bigsby.

Scott Fraser

I have to say, much as people love their Bigsbys, Leo's invention of a pivoting bridge on the Strat is a much better way to implement pitch bends. Jeff Beck would not be able to play melodies on a harmonic with a Bigsby.

Much agreed- overall.

I'll say, though, that Bigsbys and similar vibrato-tailpieces have a certain charm, they sound, behave, and feel different from a Fender or Floyd Rose style- the latter two may be technically superior, but sometimes, a seemingly lesser, more archaic tool best suits a given job. This pedal could be to that what the Strymon El Capistan and Volante are to tape and drum magnetic/mechanical echo machines of yore.

I'm expecting there to be some serious processing going on under this pedals hood that simulates the differences in pitch-change among respective strings, as opposed to a uniform pitch-change as found in the Whammy and other such digital pitch transposing devices. As surprising as such a technological feat would be, I'd be more surprised if Gamechanger garnered the Bigsby badge WITHOUT such a sound.

I'm expecting there to be some serious processing going on under this pedals hood that simulates the differences in pitch-change among respective strings, as opposed to a uniform pitch-change as found in the Whammy and other such digital pitch transposing devices. As surprising as such a technological feat would be, I'd be more surprised if Gamechanger garnered the Bigsby badge WITHOUT such a sound.

Intriguing thought, but I tend to doubt it.

A Hex Pickup, like a Guitar Synth Pickup, might allow you to treat each string individually, and assign slightly differing increments of Pitch-bend to each string, emphasizing the differences between the wound and unwound strings, for example. I don't see how a DSP with a conventional 1/4 Mono Input would be able to differentiate among the strings, as it's processing just one Mono Audio input signal, no matter how many strings you're playing.

I'm no Jeff Beck on my whammy harmonics, but I like that the floor pedal can go up and down without those opposable thumb toes LoL! Having a Bigsby on a floor pedal (if it can get the same sound and vibe) is a great idea as opposed to adding a Bigsby to a guitar expense wise. It will also be available to all the guitars in your arsenal. I have one Bigsby equipped guitar and it is a very subtle whammy when compared to the Strat style floating whammy. I really like the Bigs a little better so Jeff is safe for now LoL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Intriguing thought, but I tend to doubt it.

A Hex Pickup, like a Guitar Synth Pickup, might allow you to treat each string individually, and assign slightly differing increments of Pitch-bend to each string, emphasizing the differences between the wound and unwound strings, for example. I don't see how a DSP with a conventional 1/4 Mono Input would be able to differentiate among the strings, as it's processing just one Mono Audio input signal, no matter how many strings you're playing.

I know what you mean; however, I do think that it might effectively be 'faked' enough that it would be approximated to many folks' satisfaction (if not everyone's), much the way spring-reverb drips and crashes and tape-echo warbles and the sonic artifacts of tape crinkles, splices and damages can be digitally counterfeited.

So, it puts the guitar out of tune if you look at it sideways?

Does it also make changing strings a tormentful ordeal that takes way too long to "settle in", which simply means it goes somewhat less out of tune every time you use it, eventually?

I have a Hoyer copy of a Bigsby and it does close to the same thing with the difference that instead of rolling a bar to loosen the strings, it moves a plate that has holes in it so the strings go through but the ball catches. MUCH easier to restring but of course it doesn't use parts from Harley Davidson motorcycles like the Bigsby - Paul Bigsby was a motorcycle mechanic and that spring in a Bigsby? It's a Harley valve spring from the engine. Pretty clever recycling.

I do like the shimmer of a Bigsby but will never gig one again. Well, maybe if I start a band with a blindfolded drunk guy learning to play fretless bass for the first time...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I haven't had any issues with the Bigsby equipped guitar (Taylor B3) going out of tune. I learned the roller bridge plays a big part in that regard. Many Bigsby equipped guitars will go out of tune on standard saddles as one or more of the wound strings can hang up for a minute or two until you use the whammy again...you can give it a wiggle and pop it back in tune until you break down and buy a roller bridge. String changes take a little bit longer till you get used to pre bending at the ball ends. I seldom use the guitar anymore so there are few string changing issues these days. At a gig, it's highly recommended to have a back up guitar on the stand just in case you break a string on a Bigs... :cool:

ps. there is a mod available for the Bigsby that my buddy installed on his guitar. It involves pulling the pins on the bar and drilling through the string bar. Allows strings through the bar instead of using the pins. It is commercially available so you don't have to DIY. It works much better than the Vibromate attachment. Makes for easy string changes.

Take care, Larryz

I haven't had any issues with the Bigsby equipped guitar (Taylor B3) going out of tune. I learned the roller bridge plays a big part in that regard. Many Bigsby equipped guitars will go out of tune on standard saddles as one or more of the wound strings can hang up for a minute or two until you use the whammy again...you can give it a wiggle and pop it back in tune until you break down and buy a roller bridge. String changes take a little bit longer till you get used to pre bending at the ball ends. I seldom use the guitar anymore so there are few string changing issues these days. At a gig, it's highly recommended to have a back up guitar on the stand just in case you break a string on a Bigs... :cool:

ps. there is a mod available for the Bigsby that my buddy installed on his guitar. It involves pulling the pins on the bar and drilling through the string bar. Allows strings through the bar instead of using the pins. It is commercially available so you don't have to DIY. It works much better than the Vibromate attachment. Makes for easy string changes.

A Bigsby does require a more diligent approach to having a properly filed & lubed nut, and various sorts of roller, rocking or bar bridges for best results. Some Bigsbys now have drilled shafts for easier stringing. And there's an aftermarket item which is sort of a sleeve which wraps around the shaft & has a protruding flange with string holes. My really big beef with the Bigsby is that they have a raised knob on the plate which the arm rotates on, restricting rotation, which means you can't get the arm right over the strings. It seems to be a solution in search of a problem. All in all, it was an interesting early 1950s innovation, vastly improved upon by later designers. I use it for subtle chorusy vibrato, but I use my Strat style vibrato units for serious sonic mayhem because they go so much further & push the guitar into noisemaker territory.

Scott Fraser

I shall taunt you a second time...

So, it puts the guitar out of tune if you look at it sideways?

But that's classic VINTAGE style out-of-tuneness... !

You say that like it's a bad thing; 's just a primitive "chorus" effect...

+1,000 Scott on subtle bends of the Bigsby vs the Fender Whammys getting wild...unless of course you're playing the Bigsby like Brian Setzer when he does his bumble bee sounding total abuse of the Bigsby LoL!

And when he does tune or does his drop D tuning on the low E string Caevan, he always says: "close enough for Rock and Roll"...+1,000 Brian loves that "classic vintage style out-of-tuneness" LoL!

:2thu:

Take care, Larryz

Haahh! I just realized, this Bigsby pedal had been announced nearly a year and a half ago or more- and I'd completely forgotten that I'd commented on a YouTube posting about it... ! :laugh::D

I'd said then, "I wasted my time coming here to NOT hear it in action... ?!"

How come they're still not putting out any demo vids of this Bigsby pedal where you can hear it... ?! :confused::/

Haahh! I just realized, this Bigsby pedal had been announced nearly a year and a half ago or more- and I'd completely forgotten that I'd commented on a YouTube posting about it... ! :laugh::D

I'd said then, "I wasted my time coming here to NOT hear it in action... ?!"

How come they're still not putting out any demo vids of this Bigsby pedal where you can hear it... ?! :confused::/

Not every idea makes it to production, and not every idea proves workable, much less marketable.

In this case, it's very likely that lockdowns and quarantine held up production and distribution throughout 2020. I can also tell you from personal experience that even small, highly controlled video shoots weren't easy to manage, which may be why there are no demo videos, as yet. Still, it's hard to understand why we're not seeing anything yet, if they're already in production, and expecting to ship with days?