Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iphone 6 plus for music software

cedar

I'm very new to music software and am wondering whether it should be a factor in my pending decision to upgrade my phone to either the iphone 6 or iphone 6 plus.

My specific question is whether the added screen size in the iphone 6 plus will make an appreciable difference in running any music software (including just reading PDF of sheet music).

A major argument for the iphone 6 plus is that it is large enough to replace the need for tablets. But is this true when it comes to any music software?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a big difference between tablet functions when you can use hold it near your eyes and when the device will be some distance from you (e.g. sitting on a music stand). The 6 plus is a nice size, but it can't replace an iPad for sheet music-type apps. Also, it cannot install or run iPad-specific apps. So some of the music software you're thinking of may not even run on the 6 plus.

Personally, I have both and use each for what they're good at. I believe you'd be frustrated trying to use the 6 plus as an iPad replacement for this use case.

There was a post last month where someone was hoping that the new iPads would include an A4 sized one, specifically because he found the current iPad too small to read scores and lyric sheets from.

I truly doubt that the 6+ would be big enough for your needs.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

A major argument for the iphone 6 plus is that it is large enough to replace the need for tablets. But is this true when it comes to any music software?

No, because a lot of music software is still iPad-only, no matter how big the iPhone is.

Apple used to force app developers to compile their apps specifically for iPhone or iPad. Then Apple gave them them the option to compile Universal apps - a Universal app will run on either iPhone or iPad. However, alot of the most desirable iPad music apps are still not Universal - these include Gadget, Animoog (separate iPhone and iPad versions), Z3TA+, iFretless Bass, etc.

I have an iPad mini and is is barely big enough to really get at all the parameters. It's better with some synths than others and is very handy to take with, but I would really like some more screen real estate.

To put a fine point on SSM's comment, I will probably be skipping the iPad in favor of the larger iPad Pro when I am ready to upgrade. Size DOES matter here.

To heck with an A4-sized iPad. I want one the size of music paper -- 9x12". A pair of them. That can communicate with each other w.r.t. page swiping over bluetooth. That work rock!

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thanks for weighing in guys!

I just got my 6+ last night and am LOVING IT!!

As I'm only using Animoog right now, the plus is the Perfect size for me. I'm going to get an iConnect MIDI 4+ to integrate Animoog into the live rig.

As far as the discussed iPad apps, my own experience has been: use them for fun but not live as Omnisphere and Logic take care of my softsynth needs --and I'm primarily a hardware guy---the virtual arena is a supplement---I have to say, I'm intrigued by Jordan Rudess' new app....

It's not gonna happen til 11/1-15, but I'll keep you all posted....

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Good to hear! In my opinion, the 6+ would be perfect for apps like TouchOSC where you can customize the interface yourself, thus having adequate space for perfomring etc.

I've started using Music Maker Jam on the iPad (whose projects can then be imported into Music Maker on PC) but mainly have been using TouchOSC which I can totally recommend. 3 quid or something. Great customizable controller.

Thanks for weighing in guys!

As I'm only using Animoog right now, the plus is the Perfect size for me. I'm going to get an iConnect MIDI 4+ to integrate Animoog into the live rig.

As far as the discussed iPad apps, my own experience has been: use them for fun but not live as Omnisphere and Logic take care of my softsynth needs --and I'm primarily a hardware guy---the virtual arena is a supplement---I have to say, I'm intrigued by Jordan Rudess' new app....

It's not gonna happen til 11/1-15, but I'll keep you all posted....

Jim

Animoog and Rudess' new app rule. Especially Animoog. I would suggest to try Galileo Organ though, and Gospel Musicians Rhodes. I love them both. Last Friday i used Galileo for most of my farfisa sounds live and it sounded more convincing than my Electro 3!

The GM Rhodes is very sweet too. I guess with yout new machine it will be a blast to play live. In your shoes i would not be afraid to use apps live.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Archived