Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Modern KB player fronted bands

ProfD

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coldplay isn't fronted by a keyboard player.

Really?

http://www.coldplay.com/livetransmissions/44_med_20100916203359.jpg

you got me, correction accepted. he doesn't play on all songs though, and they have used a second keyboardist at times. so ... ok. mybad.

another Brit keyboard-lead band ... Keane is truly a keyboard led band.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

D Bon, you point is exactly correct. There's some good shit in this thread from people I've never heard of. Lovin it.

Sven's point about U2 is also right on. The ten years between age 15 and 25 is a lifetime to those kids but nothing to us. Somebody said you know you're old when you think of 20 year old music as contemporary. I laughed my butt off reading some of those comments about U2. WTF indeed. They have no clue who they are.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I think this thread would be much more interesting if it focused on KB player fronted bands that not everyone knows about already. :idea:

OK the Whitlams, fronted by Tim Freedman

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QffXciakjU

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Anytime the subject of quality modern music is brought up here, I get a good chuckle... Just cause you haven't seen/heard it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. (Not gonna break KC rules with this one, but major late-night LOL at that sentence)

On top of many other fantastic acts already mentioned:

Ino Hidefumi (Thank arX!)

Elephant9

BadBadNotGood

Royal Canoe

Plaster

Misteur Valaire

Dorian Concept

Austin Peralta (RIP!)

Tigran Hamasyan

Kris Bowers

Raphaël Freynet

Now Vs Now

Mr. Barrington

That's off the top of my head. But I guess I don't really listen to prog. :evil::wave:

Definitely checkin out those bands...thanks MAJUSCULE. Love prog and fusion and really just anything done well...The older I get,the more open minded I have gotten.At age 53 I think I have covered every musical phase a person can go thru.First concert was The Temps at around 9 years old.Got to shake Dennis Edwards hand at that one.

Billy Joel

Elton John

Steely Dan

Howard Jones

Tori Amos

Coldplay

Jackson Browne (played a lot of piano)

Bruce Hornsby

Carole King

Muse (Mathew Bellamy plays keyboards & guitar as well as lead vocals)

Allman Brothers

Never heard of them.

Seriously, I think this thread would be much more interesting if it focused on KB player fronted bands that not everyone knows about already. Otherwise, this thread will be just a bunch of lists. Considering all the complaints about the lack of good new music, here's an opportunity to discover some. :idea:

I'm not sure what your pint is, if you're being facetious, or what. Everybody knows those bands. That was my point. There is no short list of bands fronted by keys players. We could go on and on. How about a list of 3-PC bands, or a list of bands who play EP? Silly to me. So I listed a few obvious ones.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm not sure what your pint is, if you're being facetious, or what. Everybody knows those bands. That was my point. There is no short list of bands fronted by keys players. We could go on and on. How about a list of 3-PC bands, or a list of bands who play EP? Silly to me. So I listed a few obvious ones.
ProfD has modified the thread title for clarity, adding the word Modern.

Don't worry. At first, I saw the thread like you did. Then at some point I saw the updated title but didn't realize it had changed and wondered what the fuss was about. Now I've put the pieces together.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Black Diamond Heavies

Crash Kings

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

They're a large club/theater-level act here in the States, but Finland's Nightwish are one of the biggest metal bands in the rest of the world. They're led by keyboardist/composer Tuomas Holopainen, who writes the lyrics and at least 80% of the music.

Here's the last show they did, headlining a night at Wacken Open Air (world's most prestigious metal fest) in front of 75,000 fans:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9nbCdJZHg

Timely thread, since I've spent virtually the entire week listening to a modern, not-particularly-well-known, keyboard-player-fronted band:

JUKEBOX THE GHOST.

I saw these guys open for Ben Folds several years ago (right after they released their first album, on which the Ben Folds influence was perhaps a little too apparent), and I've been digging them ever since.

They've got a new album coming out soon (in pre-sale on iTunes now), and they're currently on tour. Hoping to catch them at Ottobar in Baltimore on November 14th.

Lots of great songs in their repertoire, but here are a few I really dig (the first one is the song that originally hooked me and the last one is from the new album):

[video:youtube]

Pop goodness.

Archived